Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The wife’s jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The wife’s jeep
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2005 at 6:25am

I have alwas had an interest in old willy's jeeps. I don't care much for the new wranglers or cherokees, but those old willys alwas had my attention. I looked at a few over the years and have slowly watched the prices rise from around 500.00 for a runner to 750.00 for one that did not. Then a couple of weeks ago I came across one that ran, but was in need of some work to get it road worthy. The owner wanted 1500.00 for it and I showed it to my wife just for kicks. I had been talking about importing a right hand drive Rover from England and she thought this was the perfect oppertunity to get me off that kick for awhile. Besides, she had fond memories of the old willy's they used to tour around the farm in Vermont (its still on the farm and running, but it takes about three full grown men to get it started) when she was growing up, so she was also really interested in these old machines. So we went out and looked at it and I offered the guy 1000.00 for it and he came back with 1200.00, which after thinking about it for a few days and pricing the work that needed to be done to it, we accepted the price. it had a draw bar attached to the front so we hooked onto it and towed it home. It started right up when we got it unhooked from the truck and I drove it into the garage. I planed to do a total resto on it taking everything back to original and toyed with that idea for a week or so, but I do want one to drive and after checking the #s I leaned that it was supposed to be a column shift and had been converted to  three on the floor. I looked over the transmision and even ordered a colmn shifter for it, but its current transmission is not original and is not set up for the linkage. So now we will start dismantling it and preserving the American ingenuity that has become part of what it is today.

Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2005 at 12:37am

Looks pretty good in the picture. Sounds like a pretty good pick for a

early 46...Good luck!

1946 CJ2A veh id#70146
http://nelsonthejeep.myphotoalbum.com
 Post Reply Post Reply