Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Workhoarse.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Automan2164 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Workhoarse.
    Posted: 01 July 2011 at 3:35am
Figured it would be time to start an offical build it / fix it thread. I have tons of stuff on the plate lately, but this project is just small enough for me to see the end of my work. I introduce, The Workhoarse.

It has no tags, but with the help of you guys, I am going to assume that its a '47ish Bantam T3-C. I bought it off the local CL for $350. The base of a great trailer is there, it just needs some work. I plan on using it as my Swiss army trailer. Little parts hauling, little home supply hauling, and some camping duty on the side. I am glad that I didn't find a pristine trailer, as I plan to use it for what it was made for, work. Anywho, here are the pics:

So this is what I am starting with. Immediate repairs will be to make the trailer usable, and include these things:

Fixing the front tongue support
Adding shackles
Hub service
Checking into a seemingly wobbly left wheel

From there the sky is the limit. The diamond plate floor can stay, seems to add some strength to the floor. I would like to try to put some factory spring hangers and springs back underneath it if I stumble on to some. That, and the right coupler on the hitch. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised when I inspected the tongue supports off the trailer frame. Looks like with some torch work on a few key bolts, both rails will unbolt, and the pieces look very easy to duplicate. Little bit of measuring and some welds and I should be in tip top shape.

Maybe once I start tearing into this thing, I can find the stamping on the frame and try to zero in on the date and serial number.

If anyone has any input or advice, I always welcome outside opinions. Smile

Rob
'48 CJ-2A - Sunny cruising
'12 Grand Cherokee - Daily
'98 Cherokee 4.0L - Wheeling Rig
'87 Comanche 4.0L - Garage Furniture (7 year project)
'86 Comanche 2.1L Diesel - 30 MPG, 4x4, and turbo spool
 Post Reply Post Reply