Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thermostat and housing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat and housing
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 1:43pm
Putting the Willys back together and got to the cooling system.  I noticed the new thermostat housing is a "tad" larger than the thermostat?  There is no recessed lip on the housing, as I have typically seen wherein the thermostat sandwiches nicely and evenly with the block.  Is this correct?  Better know now that when it's hot and under pressure.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 1:59pm
Mike in AZ
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:00pm
There should be a thermostat retainer as well.  You put the thermostat in the housing, then the retainer, then affix it to the block.
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
formel1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:06pm
Many thanks - time to order more parts ... again.  The one I took out didn't have the above but the thermostat was rusted in place in the housing.  Does the tapered end go towards the thermostat?  Guess I'll get a couple of gaskets to be safe.

Don
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:37pm
While we are on the subject, my CJ has been running cool lately at about 140, so I was going to change the thermostat . So I watched the You Tube video by Ron Fitzpatrick tv to just make sure I did it right and to my surprise the presenter drilled a whole in it before fitting. Is that right ? Never had to do that with any other car! Thought the whole point was to remain closed until the valve temperature was met. Anyone have any views or able to offer any guidance ?
Thanks!
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:47pm
JonJ, the purpose of the hole is to vent any air that could get stuck, blocking the coolant flow before it is able to get to the thermostat.
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:52pm
Ok, kind of makes sense but why are they not manufactured with the hole. ?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 2:54pm
It also helps the cooling system run a little more even with less hot spots.
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/thermostats_topic25539.html
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 3:00pm
Thanks that’s a great post. Looks like I will be drilling that hole.
formel1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 3:03pm
Now I will have take a peek at what Kaiser sent.  ;)

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by JonJ JonJ wrote:

Ok, kind of makes sense but why are they not manufactured with the hole. ?

Most of them are. Some have a little notch in the edge of the valve, some have a small hole with a “jiggler” in it to keep it open. Once it vents the air upon filling of the system and the thermostat opens to release it for sure, the hole serves no purpose and has no effect from then on. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 6:27pm
Thanks all. As usual very enlightening.
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 8:02am
Originally posted by formel1 formel1 wrote:

Many thanks - time to order more parts ... again.  The one I took out didn't have the above but the thermostat was rusted in place in the housing.  Does the tapered end go towards the thermostat?  Guess I'll get a couple of gaskets to be safe.

Don

Funny you posted this.  Yesterday I decided to replace my thermostat and mine was RTV'd to the head also without the spacer.  The RTV was starting to fail on one side so my thermostat wasn't seated and was allowing coolant to bypass.  I bought the spacer from KW's and it seats perfectly now.
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 6:11pm
Were the OEMs manufactured with the hole?  If not, it's amazing of the thousands of these vehicles produced they didn't find the need for the hole. 

BTW, in a moment of weakness I drilled mine out too. Ermm Not convinced it is needed though.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2021 at 11:54pm
Tell you what, next time do not drill the hole & report back to us on how that works out.

The one fellow that I know who does not drill a hole in his thermostats almost always has problems getting all the air pockets out of his cooling systems. The issue rears it's head every time he changes coolant.

I had issues with "burping" the water jacket after a rebuild. After fighting an overheating problem for a few hours, I drilled the hole. The problem was gone. Now I drill all the thermostats I install. I have never had an overheating issue since. Of course, YMMV. 

It is your Jeep do as you please.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:22pm
  I just rebuilt my motor and put it in last week and didn't drill any holes in the 160 degree thermostat .  It gurgled for a while then the water level stabilized.  When I brought the engine temp up it stabilized  at 175.  I haven't taken it out on the road yet but drove it around in the yard and everything seems alright.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Tell you what, next time do not drill the hole & report back to us on how that works out.

The one fellow that I know who does not drill a hole in his thermostats almost always has problems getting all the air pockets out of his cooling systems. The issue rears it's head every time he changes coolant.

I had issues with "burping" the water jacket after a rebuild. After fighting an overheating problem for a few hours, I drilled the hole. The problem was gone. Now I drill all the thermostats I install. I have never had an overheating issue since. Of course, YMMV. 

It is your Jeep do as you please.

I've never heard of drilling a T-Stat until this 134 motor came along and I'm always leary about jumping on a "Internet Bandwagon" solution.   Are there any TSPs or other documentation from Willys Overland, the military or maybe a superseded T-stat P/N out there?  Did someone just finally come up with this "Answer" on a 75+ year old engine for a problem that really isn't there?  Is this a common flathead engine issue or just a Go Devil admorality?  Like I said, there were thousand of these engines out there in all kinds of conditions for years but no one until say, the last five years found it necessary to drill out the T-Stat?  Hmmmm.    

Just sayin'. My 2c and worth every penny.

Edited by wfopete - 12 Apr. 2021 at 4:05pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 4:58pm
  At the Chevrolet dealership we used to fill dry engines with coolant knowing they were not full because the amount taken was not enough. Then we started the engine and watched the temp gauge if there was one. Eventually the thermostat would open and the trapped air would rush out, and the cooling system would vomit all over the engine, radiator, front of the car and the floor. Then we filled it up and it would be fine. That’s just the way it was done. I thought I invented the idea of drilling a 1/16” hole in the rim of the thermostat until I found out others were doing it as well. It lets the air out so the cooling system can be filled cold, and no more vomiting. That’s the only reason why I or anyone I knew drilled a hole. In my opinion, the hole serves no purpose or does anything, good or bad, after that. If air collects under the thermostat after it’s been open one time, air is getting into the system somewhere it shouldn’t be. 

The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that Bubba hears that a professional mechanic drills holes in his thermostat, he tells Bill that it’s a good idea, and Bill tells Fred, and Fred posts it on the internet. Everybody who sees it believes it as gospel and continue to spread it, and none of them know or understand, or think about, or research why it’s done or how/why it works. Then when someone who actually knows tries to explain or clarify it, nobody wants to believe them. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>