Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THIS IS A RANT don't read unless you want to.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THIS IS A RANT don't read unless you want to.
    Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:03pm
So I go to ACE to buy some small welded link chain to use to secure stuff in the back of CHUG while we are at the Hot Springs we are going to tomorrow. Now our local ACE has gone through a complete rearrangement and I haven't gotten the lay of the land yet. So I ask the guy where's the chain he tells me Center Isle. No problem I walk to the center isle and there it is. I turn and the guys standing there beside me. I say politely Ok I can handle it from here. He says no he has to cut it. PLEASE like I can't put a piece of chain in a pair of jaws and pump a handle 4-5 times. As it was I bought all of the size I wanted they had.  This same store would have gladly rented me a chainsaw with absolutely no instruction or safety equipment but I can't handle a manual chain cutter!!!

Then I go to one of the local gas stations. A teenage to maybe 20 year old person with LONG aqua marine colored hair Turquoise fingernails and weird tattoos comes over and asks if he can help me.. (Oregon does not allow self service)  I say I am going to fill the jeep can and the tank. I hand the kid my card and go open the NATO can (my head would have exploded if I had to stand and watch the person try to open the can) The kid heads toward the can with the hose. NO I say and say I will do that. He hands me the nozzle and walks away. I like to use a small flashlight to see exactly where the fuel is I stop it at exactly 5 gallons. I then fill the tank the same way with the flashlight so I am filling the tank to exactly where the end of the filler tube is (max capacity) I hang the pump up the kid is back with the other person back to playing a card game and listening to loud awful music.  Between the can and the tank exactly 10 gallons = $50.00 OH MY GAWD

OK next stop and this is where it goes all nuts.  KFC I walk in and when it my turn I ask for an order of Coleslaw. The high school aged kid says that's $3.50 I figure OK the coleslaw we get with the meal deals is pretty big so $3.50 seams ok.

I hand the kid a 5 he looks at his cash register and appears confused. He infers he needs to go to drive through to get change. I say OK wait and hand him 4) one dollar bills. I figure how can he not have .50 cents in a fast food cash register.  NOPE he walks over to the drive through and stand there waiting for the girl to need to open it.

In a while he comes back and hands me what appears to be $1.89 as a one dollar bill 8 dimes a nickle and 3 pennies. I ask him how did you do in math in school. He says "pretty good" I say you sure didn't and plop the change on the counter and then explain to him how $3.50 from $4.00 is sure the heck not $1.89 and I scrape up 5 dimes.

I then stand there while that kind of soaks in and finally I ask for my coleslaw. He heads off to the back and comes back with a bowl of Colesaw that was so small it wouldn't make one serving. I ask is the the $3.50 size coleslaw? He looks at me and says sure.

I came home and ate a couple Tums

I could have made that change at age 6 (as I started picking crops at age 5 for money I learned quick how to count money)

I think the hand basket this place is heading to H3ii in is a light shade of purple.

And yes the other day I turned 65 so I guess that is the tipping point I am officially a cranky old man.

Edited by Mark W. - 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:05pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:44pm
That is what our schools turn now and the teacher's all feel under paid!
AND-If you become Vice President you don't need to know North Korea from South Korea or who's side we are on!
Very Scary indeed.

Edited by 3-48s - 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:50pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 8:02pm
I'm 65 and have become a grumpy old man also. I really worry where we're heading. I feel bad for all of our grandkids. My oldest daughter is a high school math teacher and is so fed up with the system she has been looking for another career. 
Till we bring God and discipline back into the schools it's only going to get worse. 
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by DesertDog48 DesertDog48 wrote:

I'm 65 and have become a grumpy old man also. I really worry where we're heading. I feel bad for all of our grandkids. My oldest daughter is a high school math teacher and is so fed up with the system she has been looking for another career. 
Till we bring God and discipline back into the schools it's only going to get worse. 

Indeed, a bit of discipline at home wouldn’t hurt either 😂

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 9:11pm
I'm 67 myself.

It could be too much coffee. Or not enough prunes.
Or it could just be that where you choose to live has more than it's fair share of idiots.
Idiots beget more idiots.
Some are more dangerous than humorous.

Yes, I agree that it seems to be spreading.
The new kid they just hired at my corner gas station has a nasty ring the size of a quarter-dollar in the center of his nose that makes me want to call him "Toro" --- except I can tell he doesn't have any balls.

"Grin and bear it" has become my motto.
And by "bear it", I mean a 1911.
You folks that live where your government doesn't trust you to do that have my sympathy.

Good luck out there!

Edited by Ron D - 01 Oct. 2022 at 9:25pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 9:15pm
I just turned 81 and have been living with this for 15 years, thank god I don't have that many years left.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 9:41pm
You kids get off of my lawn!!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 9:42pm
Where I live, the government trusts us to pump our own gasoline.
Yes, risky business.
Can you imagine --- even fireworks are legal, year round.
Pot isn't legal --- yet.
I imagine when it is that all the above will become illegal.

If you're handicapped you can always press the "help" button on the pump and the kid will come help you. Eventually. In between selling lottery tickets, which seems to be the main function.

That's the idea anyway. LOL

Edited by Ron D - 01 Oct. 2022 at 9:45pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Pot isn't legal --- yet.

When it came up for a vote here I voted against it but to no avail.  Now Colorado is overrun with homeless bums, which everyone should have known would happen.  I'd be willing to bet that a huge number of "yes" votes were not legitimate, since we got stuck with all-mail-in ballots.  Thanks to all the California commies and the dope heads from all over, Colorado is no longer the free state it used to be.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 12:07pm
Strange times we are in, but nothing new.

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 12:20pm
I'm only 47 but have had EOG for years. LOL

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 1:49pm
The more things change, the more they stay the same. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 2:22pm
Great read!  

Edited by jeeper50 - 02 Oct. 2022 at 3:39pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 7:58pm
Stop bashing teachers for this kind of stuff. 

I can’t make a kid do the work.  

I can’t go home with every kid to make sure they’re doing the homework n studying (same applies with virtual lessons because of COVID … I can’t make them sign on to the lesson). 

I can’t control what parents n guardians are doing, or are not doing, at home that can influence learning. And I could tell you stories! Imagine the worst n I’ve had to deal with it. 

School is like most things in life; you get out of it what you put into it. 

As a teacher, “I can lead the horses to water, but I can’t make’em drink”. 

After 30 years in a classroom, I hope you can accept that what I’m saying is factual n not an opinion.  

If someone can’t count change, pump gas or operate a jerry can … don’t blame me n my colleagues for that. The responsibility for those “infractions” lies with the person you were looking at when the problem occurred. 

If this rant has irritated anyone, I’ll gladly meet you over coffee (I’d prefer beer) to explain the realities associated w classroom instruction. 

Better yet, become a teacher. We need good people.  After all, teaching is “easy”.
chris

2A #13396
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 8:58pm
One of the worse things the school system did was put a calculator in a kid’s hands. 

On the home front, how much learning or problem solving is really taking place when plugged into the x-box or tik-tok. It has almost become a crime to push the kids out into the yard to play let alone give them a little responsibility. Things were definitely different back in the day. By the time I was eight years old, Dad had me driving myself down the highway in the pickup so I could drive a tractor back and forth all day without tearing out the corn crop. I think that was the same year he gave me the .410.  These days you can’t trust a teenager with that kind responsibility. I see it everyday at work and only one of them is still in high school. 
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 9:02pm
I have reached the point of trying to not have to count on anyone to do something for me.
It seems like you need to know how to do everyone's job for them, because there is only a slight chance that they can do it.
Seems like every time I pay someone to do something for me I end up redoing it to make it right.

I'm 70.
Thank God my cardiologist is apparently competent.
Then again, he's older than I am.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 9:58pm
Chris, 

My mother was a teacher, my father taught Engineering at a night college, my mother in-law was a teacher,  my wife just retired from teaching. 
Since I know her, her co-workers, and the members of several school boards, I have to say the blame is shared.

I know what you are saying, and appreciate your frustration.

In my personal opinion, this started when "no child left behind" was instituted.
My wife retired due to 70 hour weeks, and unappreciative parents, BUT MOSTLY SPINELESS UNQUALIFIED ADMINISTRATION.

It's an important subject, and we all have opinions.
I think social media is a huge negative contributor.
Why learn math when you can follow the Kardashians 24/7 ?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2022 at 6:34am
Don't forget the Fentinal drugs that are killing our kids. Duh, why are they taking it in the first place? Where are the parents? 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>