Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thread moving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thread moving
    Posted: 24 Feb. 2013 at 1:24pm
I'm all in favor of the changes taking place here and the effort to relocate threads into the proper forum for better organization. Thumbs Up Unfortunately though some people are losing track of a thread once it's been moved. 

Most forums I'm a regular visitor employ a feature that when a thread has been moved, a thread ID remains in the original forum with an indicator showing that it has been moved. If someone opens that thread ID, all they see is a hyperlink to the new location.

Might this be a feature that could be used here?
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2013 at 8:07pm
Scott,

Yes, a similar feature is available in this forum software, and I have not been using it, although using it would eliminate one step that I have to perform in moving a thread.  I can see the utility of it, but I have not been using the feature because I have not wanted to continue to clutter up the General Discussion forum, primarily, with topics that do not belong there.  Much of what we are doing is serving to set an example to members about where their new threads should be started.  A remarkable change has occurred since Russ made the OT forum and we have made a point of clarifying what should go in GD.  There have been very few threads started in GD that belong elsewhere.  I am afraid that if members see a number of topics in the GD or elsewhere that have been moved, even though they are marked as moved, members will continue to  post similar topics where they do not belong.

As an alternative to posting yet another thread to ask where a thread went as we have seen, members should use the Search feature to locate it.  It is a far better thing to do than to clutter up the forum with threads asking where something went.  Members need to think more about what they are doing before they do it.

Now, having offered all this rationalizing why I don't use the "moved thread" feature, if Russ decides that it should be used, I will certainly conform to his wishes!  

Finally, as it turns out, most of the thread movement that is going on is happening to topics posted inappropriately in the old GD forum, now the Off Topic forum.  Most of those threads are no longer active such that there would be very little benefit to keeping links in the OT forum to the threads' new locations.  They are being moved mainly to enhance the ability to find information using the Search.  Once topics are organized properly, searching within a single forum will be much more effective than it is now, so, I really do not want to use the "moved thread" feature for these old threads.

One other fact is that any links to posts in the thread that worked for the original location will link to the new location when a post or a thread is moved so there are multiple ways of finding a thread.

Hopefully, my response makes some sense.  Feel free to respond with any counterpoints.  I promise to consider them. Big smile

Edit:  Here is the symbol for a moved thread: 

and here is the symbol for a normal thread:    

Frankly, I don't think that people will even notice. Further, when you click on the link to the moved thread that remains in the original forum, you are taken to the thread in its new location. Most won't even realize that they are in a new forum.  To me, that will reduce the educational benefit of moving threads.   Can you tell that I don't like the feature? Embarrassed Wink

Edited by samcj2a - 25 Feb. 2013 at 1:38am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 2:14pm
Sam, your response does make sense. I understand that during this "spring cleaning" project there are a lot of considerations to make regarding the best plan of attack. Your logic makes complete sense. No arguments.

You got my very indirect point of people cluttering the forum starting threads asking were another one went. Wink For a few weeks might want to have a sticky in the forums explaining exactly what you said above, that members should do a search if they don't see a thread. 

The "moved thread" feature is a very effective tool for site maintenance when you're to the point where thread moving is happening just every once in a while. If you move a thread with no trace that it actually took place, only a very small handful of people will know it happened. By using the moved thread feature it becomes a teaching tool. Everybody sees that a thread was moved, sending a message that you guys are diligent about topics being in their proper place.  

Nobody wants to have their threads moved because it was in the wrong spot. So seeing a "thread Moved" once in a while makes people think prior to posting if they are putting it in the right forum or not. 

One thing a lot of other moderators do when they move a thread is to add a post indicating why it was moved. This serves two purposes: Gives the OP an explanation because lets face it... some people just don't catch a hint. Also, when a thread is moved; in the new forum there is no indicator that it was moved. Those that didn't see the "thread moved" in the original forum will know too you did some house cleaning.

All this just helps people/members create their own success instead of needing to always clean up after them. 

Edit:  Forgot to add... I see what you mean about the icons. They look very similar and will likely go unnoticed anyhow. In other forums the topic heading will also have "(Moved)" added to it. Not sure if that is something the moderators are editing in, or its just an automatic feature of the BB program? As for the guys that click on a link because thread was moved and don't realize they are in a different forum.... Guess I need to see how that feature actually works in the BB before passing judgement. 

Edited by Scott R - 26 Feb. 2013 at 2:39pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 3:20pm
Scott,

I agree with the idea of adding a sticky to remind folks of what is going on and to use the search to find moved threads.

I will create and move a thread from one of these support forums to another so you can see how relatively unremarkable the moved thread icon is.  I could certainly add a MOVED notation in the Subject filed as I am moving threads.  Also, in some cases, I have added a post of explanation to moved threads.  I will certainly do more of this for newly started threads but where I am sifting through all of the older threads in the new OT forum, I am simply moving them to where I think they belong because it's just too much of a pain when so many threads are being moved.  Since they are almost all inactive and will likely stay that way, I don't think it matters much.  I think notation/notification is much more worthwhile for those threads that are recent.  Thankfully, there are very few of them, although I am speculating that over time the will increase as new members join and as less active members return.
Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Scott R Scott R wrote:

One thing a lot of other moderators do when they move a thread is to add a post indicating why it was moved.

I understand what you are getting at but I'm enjoying the irony in the fact that we are moving a post because it is "cluttering" a thread but we are replacing it with another post explaining why it was cluttering. Big smile Wink

(all in good fun....like I said, I understand what you are saying)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 4:06pm
I recognize that it is all in good fun, but what I said was, "I have added a post of explanation to moved threads."   So, I have cluttered up the moved thread with an additional post, but I have not cluttered up the original forum with another thread! So there! LOLWink

Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 4:36pm
I wasn't quoting you....."so there". LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 4:42pm
Roc,

Apparently Sam has not had his burger yet. (you know how cranky he gets).  Probably better wait 15 minutes.  
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 4:47pm
Well in the meantime I'm gonna try to find a manager. Big smile
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 5:04pm
This is primarily for Scott R. but anyone else who is interested can see the results of my moving
Moderator Tools 2A body parts - INACTIVE from the For Sale forum to the Testing and Support forum.  Since I added a post at the end, it is now the second post on the first page of the For Sale forum but links to the actual thread in the Testing and Support forum.  Notice how little the moved thread icon shows up in the list of topics in the For Sale forum.  I think it is almost useless, but I wanted others to see it.  Again, I hope all this does not confuse the OP and others.

Edit: The For Sale thread, mentioned above, is now restored to the For Sale forum and my added post is hidden. 

And, for my thoughtful colleagues above, "I don't want a manager, I want my burger!"

Edited by samcj2a - 26 Feb. 2013 at 9:36pm
Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

Again, I hope all this does not confuse the OP and others.

Speaking just for me....It does.Wacko
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I understand what you are getting at but I'm enjoying the irony in the fact that we are moving a post because it is "cluttering" a thread but we are replacing it with another post explaining why it was cluttering. Big smile Wink

(all in good fun....like I said, I understand what you are saying) 

That would get interesting.... A new thread explaining why another one was moved. LOL 
This would be just a post within said moved thread. Wink

Sam thanks for the sample moved thread. I can see where confusion would lie when clicking on a "Moved thread" in the old forum. Unless you pay close attention to the forum name listed at the top of the page, you have no idea your in a different forum. Agree, nobody would notice that icon either. 

The way it works in other forums is the title will indicate MOVED, like I said above and if you click on it you get a message that say's "this thread has been moved by the moderators to XYZ forum" then a link is supplied. Nothing else from that thread remains in the old forum. 

Can see why you don't like that feature on this board. I wouldn't either. 

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
 Post Reply Post Reply