Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Threads & fittings for oil, fuel, crankcase lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Threads & fittings for oil, fuel, crankcase lines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Threads & fittings for oil, fuel, crankcase lines
    Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 4:29pm
I just finished connecting all of my oil lines and the fuel line from pump to carb and am working on the crankcase ventilation. I thought I'd post the sizes of the parts that I sourced locally (O'Reilly and NAPA) in case someone finds this post using search.

Thread sizes

Most of the ports in the block, in the fuel pump are 1/8" mnpt (pipe) thread.
There are also ports in the manifold (towards rear, for vacuum source), and both crankcase ventilation valves, they are also 1/8" mnpt
You have to have a fitting in every port because you cannot just screw a flare connector into a hole, it needs to have a flare inside the hole to "mate with".

Oil Filter Lines

Filter housing on the side: 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, straight fitting; connect the longer oil line from it to driver side of the block, route it through the "loop" that is a part of the bracket that holds the oil filter.

Filter housing, bottom: 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, elbow fitting; connect the shorter oil from it to the timing cover.

Block, driver side, under the fuel pump: 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, elbow fitting, connects to the longer oil hose.

Timing cover: has the 1/4" flare fitting, I didn't remove mine, don't know if it's removable.

Oil lines, 1 short, 1 long, flexible, both have 1/4 flare male fittings on either end.

Oil Gauge Lines

Block, rear of driver side: 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, elbow fitting; connects to the flexible oil line.

The other end of the flex line connects to a steel line and the steel line connects to the pressure gauge. The steel line has two female flare fittings on both ends, so, cannot be replaced with just a standard brake line but can probably be manufactured easily.

Fuel line, pump to carburetor

Fuel pump inlet (towards front of motor): 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, straight fitting; connects to the flexible fuel line.

Fuel pump outlet (towards rear of motor): 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, elbow fitting; connects to a hard line that goes to the carb.

Carburetor inlet: 1/8" mnpt x 1/4" flare, elbow fitting.

Line from pump to carb: I used a 20" long 1/4" brake line, 1/4" flare on both sides, looks like a good fit; you could probably use an 18" line if you can find (or make) one.

Crankcase ventilation line

Here is where you are starting to think "aha, they are all 1/4 inch!"... Nope! 

Crankcase valve: 1/8" mnpt x 5/16" flare elbow fitting

Manifold valve: 1/8" mnpt x 5/16" flare elbow fitting

Hard line between them: I am using a 12" long, 5/16" steel line from NAPA, looks like just about the perfect fit.

Manifold

There is a port to the rear of the manifold where the vacuum hookup goes (presumably for the wipers). For now, I just put a 1/8" mnpt brass plug in it.

Head

I blocked the heater hole with a 3/8" mnpt brass plug while I am welding up the tub which is off the jeep at the moment.

Part Numbers and Sources

1/8" mnpt x 1/4 flare fitting, elbow - Edelmann #122420 (O'Reilly), NAPA also has them
1/8" mnpt x 1/4 flare fitting, straight - Edelmann #124420 (O'Reilly), NAPA also has them

For temporary tank hook-up, on the inlet side of the pump I used Dorman #785-410D, its a brass 1/8" mnpt x 1/4 barb

3/8" mnpt plug - O'Reilly

1/4" mnpt plug - O"Reilly

Flex oil hoses (2 short, 1 long) - I had to mail order those from Ron Fitzpatrick.

Steel lines - I bought all of mine at NAPA. On the short end of the length spectrum they seemed to have a good selection.

One thing to keep in mind: the NAPA lines are all coated steel, while the Advance Auto's, for example, are all cupro-nickel. 

I used their cupro-nickel lines to do the brake line runs from the master cylinder to front and back - they are easy to bend and you can cut and re-flare one end (I had to).

The steel lines -- I just can't flare them with the hand held flare tool, they are way too hard. Also, bending a 5/16" steel line is not exactly trivial.

Edited by konstan - 15 Aug. 2018 at 6:16pm
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 4:30pm
I will post some part numbers when I get home, and maybe take some pics.

I consider myself still new to willys, so, if I made any errors in my post above, please feel free to correct me and I will edit the original post.

Edited by konstan - 15 Aug. 2018 at 4:32pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 4:39pm
Nice write up Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 6:34pm
Thanks Konstan! This should be put in the tech section as I see questions about this asked a lot.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 7:05pm
Konstan,

Nice work.  I would suggest you keep any plugs or fitting you remove in case some day you want to do a historical rebuild.  If you don't think you will ever do a historical rebuild you probably could post them on the parts board of The 2A Page and someone just might purchase them from you who is doing a historical rebuild.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2018 at 7:19pm
By historical rebuild, do you mean not only using the correct parts but actually finding those parts that were actually made back then? Yea I have a box of stuff left over... for example, the master cylinder core, stuff like that.
FarmallFan44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmallFan44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 12:19am
Holy Cow!  Wow!  Is that ever useful.  I am just starting the process of putting back together, the right way, my CJ2A motor and you sir have saved me a lot of measuring, guessing and research.  I had just completed making a preliminary list of what i needed in all of these places and am now prepared to just go get the parts without sorting through all of the junk I took off and threw over my shoulder.
Thank you.

PS This site is an amazing resource, I could have not gotten as far as I have without all of the excellent advice and information I have found here.
Dave 47, 50, 53 Farmalls 46 CJ2A
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 1:04am
Great information
 Post Reply Post Reply