Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throw out bearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throw out bearing
    Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 7:00am
Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I could not find it. Please direct me if it's already been discussed. I just put my motor back in my 47 as well as a new clutch kit. It shifts fine, but the throw out bearing always spins ( looking through inspection plate).  The old one worked okay before I pulled the motor, but I didn't know it's age so I figured I should replace it while I was in there. I believe there is supposed to be a gap of 1/16 of an inch when it's not engaged, which I must not have? I have adjusted the clutch cable both ways and no luck? Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 12:55pm
The clutch cable that goes into the bell has a adjuster on one end . There should be a clutch arm return spring between the hole in the arm below the floor back to the cross member location. You should be able to adjust it to give some play in the petal which in turn provides play at the throw out bearing. On mine , I replaced the metal rod with two 90's that hooks to the cross shaft with a new rod that has two clevices and pins. This allows even more adjustment on each end since it's threaded with jam nuts. You can make this rod with a piece of 5/16 solid rod and a tap and die set. Those original rods with a bent 90 wear our quickly. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 1:40pm
Hi John, thanks for getting back to me. I adjusted cable so there is almost a little slack in it thinking this would allow the fork and bearing to come back as far as possible. Am I thinking about this the right way? I will check out the return spring and rods today! Have a Merry Christmas

Nick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 2:43pm
Nick , your clutch petal at the floor should be up against the floor and have free play forward of a inch or so. The return spring pulls it there. You should be able to also feel some movement on the pull cable that moves the clutch fork inside the bell. That would indicate the throw out is not tight against the pressure plate fingers. A pain, but you could remove the shifter cover on the floor, and remove the oval inspection plate at the top of the bell, and see it. It only needs to clear the fingers by 1/16 to a 1/8 inch. There should also be a small return spring hooked to the throw out bearing collar that slides this collar back on the front bearing retainer. Hope this helps. Enjoy your holiday. John
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 5:42pm
You will get the clearance as the disc wears or breaks in.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 5:49pm
TTwo possibilities if all else fails: 1) is the TO bearing pressed all the way onto the carrier, and 2) is the carrier sliding all the way back on the tranny bearing retainer. 
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

You will get the clearance as the disc wears or breaks in.

Not true. Clearance goes away as the disc wears. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2019 at 9:32pm
Hi, pressed bearing on and thought it was all the way? With it pressed on, the total length front to back was the same as the old one? I unhooked the clutch pedal and pushed the lever all the the way into firewall trying to get a little more movement without luck. I tried to take a pry bar in the inspection plate and push the the whole assembly back a little. Still no luck. I must have installed something incorrectly? It drives and shifts fine, just not much play in pedal. Any problem running as is, knowing I will wear out the bearing faster than it should?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 1:57am
It will cause you to have to pull the transmission when it wears out, which won't be long. Disconnect the clutch cable and see if the little spring will pull the throw out all the way back. If so, your linkage leading to the pedal has a problem somewhere in adjustment.
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 2:05am
Ok, will do. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks!

Nick
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 2:05am
  Also could cause unnoticeable slippage in the clutch, which would wear the clutch disc and possibly damage the pressure plate and flywheel. It won’t stay unnoticeable for long, though. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 2:11am
Often there is binding that can cause a throwout bearing to not completely separate from the pressure plate forks because of the pedal shaft (A-495) binding in the frame bushing. You might investigate this to see if it is binding or has excessive slop.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 2:13am
Ok, hopefully something in linkage. Sounds like I may be pulling the transmission if not. This is first vehicle I've done more than maintenance and simple repairs on. I'm learning a lot the hard way! It's been fun though, something to keep me busy during the long winter nights here in MontanaConfused
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 3:56am
If you tear it apart again, take a good look at the front bearing retainer & the bearing collar for excessive wear too. Perhaps it's not sliding freely on the retainer nose.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 4:11am
Did you replace the clutch cable? There has been an issue with the lengths of new cables. It happened to me. I could not use the replacement since it was about an inch shorter.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 7:23am
Well it's definitely in linkage oilleaker1. When I undo the cable the bearing slides back easily on its own. So it looks like I won't have to pull the transmission! I will check all the suggested linkage and see if I can get it fixed up. Thanks everyone for all the help! Much appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 11:18am
Make sure your cross shaft with the two arms is not installed backwards. The spring loaded end goes on the transmission ball pivot. Those two arms are of different length. I'd buy two 5/16 clevices and pins and get rid of the rod with the two 90's while in there. It's a huge improvement and also gives you the opportunity for more adjustment. 

Glad you don't have to pull it back out. A relief for sure. Wink  Oilly
NJLMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJLMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2019 at 3:59pm
Sounds good, do happen to have a picture of how yours is set up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>