Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throwing Wrenches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throwing Wrenches
    Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:18pm
hey guys. It’s been a while since I posted. I’m still beating the day lights out of my jeep but I just don’t make it on any forums much anymore. I wanted to share something that Merlin Hanson and I have been working on. Please take a few minutes to check out the first episode of Throwing Wrenches. We are currently filming a second episode and planning many more on Willys Wagons, 2A’s, MB’s, M38’s etc.. I’d love your honest feedback so let us know what you think. Thanks! 

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:32pm
Thanks Mike...

I have watched it already twice...love it...you guys did and awesome job on it...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:37pm
Great video! Hope to follow y'all videos very soon on the living room TV

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:41pm
Mike,
I watched your first episode and loved it. 
Got a little confused at first about what you were doing. You said head gasket then pulled the whole engine out and had a 2nd engine being worked on while you were doing it. Finally made the connection, swapping them out.
I would love to hear a little  more tech talk about what you're working on at any given moment. What you're doing, why and how you're doing  it.
The historic tidbits in the subtitles are cool.
I always like watching your vids. This is taking to the next level. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:43pm
I worked with a guy at a Union 76 service station many years ago who threw wrenches. He was a really good mechanic but a bit of an odd duck. He drove a 46 Plymouth 2 dr sedan that was a survivor 218 flat head. He had been in Vietnam and I am sure now had some form of PTSD. He would be working away on something cussing up a stream and all of a sudden a wrench or ball pen or something would come flying out from under the car or hood and go clanging across the lube bay. He once rapped a knuckle on something while under a customers car with about a 12" adjustable end wrench. That thing came out from under that car (it was up on the lift) about the speed of a major league pitch and first bounced off another customers car I was doing an oil change to hit it right dead center in the windshield! then bounced into the sheet metal wall of the lube bay leaving a nice dent in the wall. He paid for the windshield and nobody ever said anything about it. But let me tell you when I was working in that lube bay with him I was all heads up.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:48pm
Clap That was great.  I'd love to see a weekly show.  What I really liked is the every guy feel.  It looks like me and my buddies, not a million dollar showroom shop (No offense) building $100K crawlers.   I also liked the on screen tidbits.  I found it pretty funny when you guys mocked the drama.  One thing I hate about so many "reality shows" is the forced, created drama.  Great job, please keep them coming..

Edited by Freedom21 - 25 Jan. 2018 at 4:50pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Mike Gardner Mike Gardner wrote:

hey guys. It’s been a while since I posted. I’m still beating the day lights out of my jeep but I just don’t make it on any forums much anymore. .....
Don't hear much from you these days. Where all have you been wheeling at?

Cool video. Thx 4 posting. How's the new motor doing? I assume the motor is running strong now?

What is the jeep event going on at the end of the video? Is that Mason Dixon?

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the 16 minute break from work!

Edited by jpet - 25 Jan. 2018 at 5:05pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 5:08pm
I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work! 
One2baja View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote One2baja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 6:04pm
Great video!  Keeps me motivated on wrenching on my own!  Keep them coming!
"I think that I have seen it all until tomorrow"

'46 CJ2A # 45124   
'47 CJ2A #104643 "Betsy"
'49 CJ2A # ??
'80 XJ
'95 ZJ
'17 WK2
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 10:33pm
Nice video, fun and down to earth. I recognize the Mason-Dixon location. I was there a few months ago for the first time and talked with Merlin.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 11:11pm
Hey Jeff, I’ve been super busy with work and our new house. I’m still daily driving the Jeep but no crazy off road in some time. Were planning a rausch creek trip soon in flattys but not till it’s a little warmer. 

I’m hoping to get it to ejs this year but as we close in on Moab it look less and less likely. 

The new motor is doing great. I need to tweak it a bit but I am very happy with how it turned out. A 300 dollar swap turned into a total rebuild, and tv show. I guess it worked out. Lol. 

That was the Mason Dixon Gathering. 
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2018 at 11:15pm
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Mike Gardner Mike Gardner wrote:

...I’m hoping to get it to ejs this year but as we close in on Moab it look less and less likely....
I don’t know if you have been following the thread, but a group of us a going to EJS:

Easter Jeep Safari 2018

If you are there, look us up. We are in Canyonlands Campground. Back row.
Just throwing this out there but I’ll be out east next month. I could pick your Jeep up and take it out to Moab for you. Then you could pick it up in Illinois at your convenience or I can bring it back to you sometime this summer. .... Think about it.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 12:42am
Nice, I have owned Jeeps since I was 13 and worked in Jeep shops for a while. I am down to 2 Jeeps at this time and I don't throw tools. (You have to go find them) I just drop them so you have to crawl under to retrieve them and whatever else I drop.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 4:53am
At first I thought you were referring to special wrenches made just for throwing.  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 5:45am
Nice job Mike, that was a great first episode.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 4:18pm
Hey Mike, it was a great show.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to see more.  

Also, I'm going to have the Truck-Lite headlights on mine as well, and you're partly to blame for the inspiration.  I like the look. Thumbs Up
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 6:06pm
I can really relate to the feeling you get when you drive one for for a daily vehicle the people you get to meet are really great. Lots of the folks I meet learned how to drive in an old jeep that was on the family farm or was granpa's. A friend of mine and myself went to a local event it was my first time showing my 47 it was amazing how much the little ones  were drawn to our two old flat fenders ( the oldest at the show) As far as the wrenching goes wow been their done that wrecked a few T-shirts. I have a 48 that was used to plow snow for many years. I rebuilt 80% of the body. I had such a good time rebuilding it that It was almost  anti-climatic to finish it. The nights me and my buds spent making body parts,taking Fred Flinstone's car and a pile of 18 gauge tin into a jeep was priceless.       
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>