Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thumper gets another Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josepyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2020 at 1:11am
When you figure it out post lots of pictures, I want to do the same thing but I'm hung up on whether to cut a junk worm gear or have an upper shaft made. May be able to find a tractor shaft to fit.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2020 at 2:34am
take a look at advance adapters sag steering stuff.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2020 at 3:29am
Just copy the factory way.....the firewall bracket and the dash bracket holds it.
Here's how I did it.....

If you can find an early Postal or early CJ5 (pre locking column but early enough to still have the flat wheel and Saginaw box that makes it ALOT easier.

Edited by rocnroll - 11 Aug. 2020 at 3:50am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2020 at 7:01am
I used an original shaft and tube.  I cut the worm gear off, used the brass bushing/bearing at both ends of the tube (like the one at the steering wheel) and made a bracket for the firewall.  I made a transition piece and coupler to a 1” DD shaft, which then goes out to the Saginaw box via 3 ujoints and 2 heim joints.  I even made it to use the original 2a horn button (which does work).  I’ve slightly modified it from the last picture, with a snap ring at either end of the tube so the shaft doesn’t slide up and down inside the tube (which altered the ujoint angle and introduced slop).

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 12:50pm
When I originally built Thumper I didn't have an original set of seat frames for the front so I just bought a set of Bestop low back seats. They have been fine but I do like the looks of the original frames better. Plus the original frames give a few more inches of leg room. At 6'1" and 225 lbs all the room I can get is important.

So here about a month ago I put out some feelers to see if I could come up with a set of original 3A frames. Jay Hinton ("Chasendeer" here on the page) had a set he was willing to sell. They were covered in surface rust but they were straight and solid.

After doing some rust removal and several coats of paint I installed a set of cushions from Ian Liljeblad. He is the same guy who builds the rock sliders that I recently installed. His cushions are of great quality and very fair price. $225 for the front set. He offers 5 or 6 different colors. Here is a link to his store.

https://bigwillyjeep.com/shop/

Edited by AKoller - 18 Aug. 2020 at 12:53pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 2:22pm

Those look great!    (they need a little dirt on them though LOL )
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Just copy the factory way.....the firewall bracket and the dash bracket holds it.
Here's how I did it.....

If you can find an early Postal or early CJ5 (pre locking column but early enough to still have the flat wheel and Saginaw box that makes it ALOT easier.

A flathead V8 in a willys!?  now THAT is cool :-D
2a #40500
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2020 at 11:13pm
Thanks Daniel, I always admired that little project of yours too.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2020 at 8:45pm
I mentioned in an earlier post that I am wanting to install an original steering column in Thumper. You all were a bunch of help with getting me pointed in the right direction as far as how to adapt it to a Saginaw steering box set up and I want to thank you for that.

The other evening I got the steering column removed from the Ross box and got the steering shaft removed from the column. I then found some time at work the next day to chuck it up in the lathe and get the worm gear removed and ready for a u-joint. While working with the lathe I also made a bushing for the lower end of the column out of polyethylene. I still need to machine a snap ring groove into the shaft when I figure out exactly where it needs to be. I'm hoping I get this steering project done sometime in November. Right now I'm trying to get everything prepped and ready to go to try to have as little down time as possible.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 12:52am
Another project that I intend on getting done in November is building a new cage. The current cage is a M151 A2 ROPS kit that I modified to work. It’s a little bulky for my liking and I would really like to make something that resembles the factory top bows similar to what Rick G and Millennium Falcon have done. The new cage will also tie into the frame. Several weeks ago I ordered 66’ of 1.5” .120 wall DOM from my work. It showed up earlier this week so now I’m chomping at the bit to get this project going too.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 1:38am
I have a slightly used bender for sale. BAHAHAHA!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2020 at 3:11am
Originally posted by sonoblast77 sonoblast77 wrote:

I have a slightly used bender for sale. BAHAHAHA!

Maybe you should start sleeping with one eye open. If not, that bender may just disappear.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2020 at 12:31pm
This last weekend was the last event I had on schedule for Thumper for the next month. So next week I plan to get started on the new cage. Last night I had a little time so I went out and got the old cage lifted off. I must say, I do like the looks of him without any roll over protection but as you can see by the looks of the sides of the Jeep it needs some.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2020 at 2:07pm
What brand and size are those tires, please?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2020 at 2:18pm

They are 7.50-16 Firestone NDTs. I purchased them through Summit last December.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2020 at 6:34pm
Thank you sir.....they look right at home on that Jeep.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2020 at 1:14pm

Looks like some nice mods in progress!   Smile

Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

They are 7.50-16 Firestone NDTs. I purchased them through Summit last December.

With some extra grooves.  Wink
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 2:11pm
From early on in this Covid 19 pandemic we're in I have joked that I wouldn't mind getting it but I wanted to be asymptomatic. I could get a lot done in several weeks of staying home. Well I ended up getting it so I was stuck at home for a week and a half. Fortunately I only had minor symptoms.

With being home I started my new roll cage project. I didn't get done with it before I had to go back to work because one thing Covid did do to me was zap all the energy out of me. I could only get a couple hours of work in on the cage a day before I was completely exhausted. Some days I never even worked on it because I just didn't feel up to it.

Below are some pictures of where I'm at with it now. I am basically done with everything except tying it into the frame. I will get that done this coming weekend. With the Thanksgiving holiday I have a 4 day weekend.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>