Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thumper gets another Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 4:48pm
Looks good!  Nice jobThumbs Up
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 6:18pm
Lookin good, Alan!

Love all the antlers, especially those in the toolbox, lol! 👍🏼
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 7:50pm
Real nice work on the roll cage.  I'm glad you are recovering well from Covid.  I was just looking back at your pics.  Your running 7.50 x 16's as you stated.  Are you running tubes and a 16 x 4.5 wheel or a wider 16 inch wheel?
-Gaffer
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

Real nice work on the roll cage.  I'm glad you are recovering well from Covid.  I was just looking back at your pics.  Your running 7.50 x 16's as you stated.  Are you running tubes and a 16 x 4.5 wheel or a wider 16 inch wheel?

I'm running them tubeless on 16x4.5" KH wheels. These wheels came off of a M38A1 and they have the "safety humps". So far I've had good luck with not loosing a bead. I usually air down to 8-9 psi off-road. I have taken Jpet's advise and added liquid starch because my sidewalls are getting cut up and they would loose several psi overnight. Since adding the starch I haven't had any trouble loosing air.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 8:35pm
Thanks for the reply.  Good to know.  I was thinking of running those tires on the narrower rim.  Don't have the safety bead though.  Did you use duct tape or gorrilla tape on the beads for extra insurance?
-Gaffer
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Good to know.  I was thinking of running those tires on the narrower rim.  Don't have the safety bead though.  Did you use duct tape or gorrilla tape on the beads for extra insurance?

I have several wraps of Gorilla tape on the safety humps for added insurance but I don't know that it is necessary. Last I knew Jpet was running several of his wheels with the tape and several without to see if it makes any difference and last time I wheeled with him in September told me he said it hadn't made a difference at that point. With that being said I don't know that he had come to a solid conclusion yet. If I have a reason to dismount any of my tires I will likely remove the tape from several to experiment as well.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2020 at 10:49pm
I second the nice looking cage. Making them is an art. You seem to have it down pat.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 2:13am
This weekend I was able to get all the structure underneath the tub tying the cage to the frame done, the cage painted, cage installed for the final time and get the harness in place. This whole project was more of an undertaking than I really expected it to be. This was my first cage I’ve ever built from scratch. If I were to do it again I think I could do it in half the time now that I know what I’m doing. With that being said I am really pleased how it turned out.

Anyone want to take a guess on how much the new cage weighs? I will give you a hint: It’s about half of the weight of the one I removed.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 2:44am
Sweet.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 4:33pm
I've got a couple projects I've been meaning to do for awhile done over the last several weeks. When I installed the SM420 a year and a half ago it interfered with the passenger side exhaust. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it at the time so I just cobbled it together with some flex pipe. It actually worked out decent so I just left it. That is until last month when we wheeled Tuttle Creek and I hooked the tail pipe on a dirt bank and tore it loose. So that made me actually get that project done.

This time I ran single exhaust instead of dual. I used a 40 series Flowmaster muffler and I really like the new sound of the Dauntless.

Next I made a new rear bumper. I wanted something that was lightweight and simplistic. I used some 1/4" wall 1.5"x3" tubing. I welded on a recovery point that will be used with a soft shackle similar to what Stan has on the back of Grampas Jeep. I'm happy with how it turned out. It will however look much better when its covered with that red Moab dirt at the end of this month.

Edited by AKoller - 02 Mar. 2021 at 4:34pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 4:37pm
Just wondering, why not move it up to the pintle pad like I did Stan's?
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

The close up picture looks like it really sticks out, but the big picture doesn't look too bad. Might catch a rock or two, but not many I suspect. 
Looks solid.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

I had looked at doing that but with the bumper on there it makes it really tight to fish the soft shackle through. I also thought hard about not having any sort of bumper on the back and decided against that. I want something on there to help protect the factory crossmember. I might learn that this recovery point sticks out too far and if that's the case I will come up with something else.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 2:03pm
About a year ago I removed several leaves from each of my Superlift spring packs. In doing so I knew I was likely to end up breaking a leaf being I compromised the strength by doing that. I however did gain some flex from the leaves.

Well out at EJS in Moab it finally happened. We were on Steel Bender the 2nd to last day of my trip and I broke 2 of the 3 remaining leaves in my right front spring pack. The only one that wasn't broke was thankfully the main leaf. I was able to get off the trail and get back to town but my trip was done.

I decided I wanted to try stock rear replacement springs on the front. Yesterday I got all the spring hangers moved and got the springs installed. I'm not convinced I have everything set how I want it yet. I will know more after The Willys Rush this coming weekend.

It appears that I have more droop than I did previously when jacking it from the bumper. I need to check this evening to make sure my u-joints on the front drive shaft aren't binding at full droop. I may need to install some sort of limit strap.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 8:18am
Last week I installed "stock replacement" springs on the rear. I took him out and did some "flexing". Overall I'm real happy with the results. We will see how long these Omix springs hold up.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 10:33am
At the Fall Reunion I picked up a Warn 8274 from "Oldpappy". It was in really good condition overall for being built in 1977. After getting it home I opened it up and got the gearbox cleaned out and got fresh oil in it. The only thing I found not working correctly was the "free spool" knob wasn't moving far enough to allow it to free spool. After cleaning up the shaft the gear slides on with some emery cloth it started working.

I had to make a new bumper for mounting this winch to. I decided to sink it low in between the frame rails. I have the hawse fairlead mounted just under the bumper. I like the low look I just hope its still tucked up high enough to stay clear of the rocks.

After getting it mounted I spooled up the drum with 125' of Dyneema from Brennan's Garage. Brennan installed what looks to be a good quality tube thimble on the end of the rope for me. I don't plan on using any kind of steel hook at this time. I plan on just using a soft shackle (also from Brennan's Garage).

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 4:18pm
Over the last month I've been working on getting a couple differentials ready to swap into Thumper. I built a front narrow track D30 with a Eaton E-Locker and disk brakes. I installed Ten Factory chromoly axle shafts in it. For the rear end I'm building a offset flanged D44. I'm equipping it with a Yukon Grizzly and Fusion disk brakes. The Fusion brakes have the electric emergency brake. I will be glad to be able to get rid of the stock parking brake/rock catcher.

Here is the assembled narrow track D30. It was sourced from a 1978 CJ7.

This is the flanged D44 completely disassembled just after painting it.

I sourced the Yukon Grizzly, gearset and master install kit from Ron's Machining Service. His prices and service were both outstanding.

Here is the pattern I ended up with for the rear end. Good enough for the girls I go with.

Edited by AKoller - 30 Dec. 2021 at 4:19pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2021 at 5:48pm
A perfect gearset pattern, Al. Nice set of axles. Looking forward to seeing them in action at the Willys Rush in April!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>