Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thumper gets another Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Did you change your springs?  What springs do you run front and rear?

I am running the "factory replacement" rear springs on all 4 corners. I think they are the high quality Omix-Ada springs. In all seriousness they ride a lot smoother than the Superlift springs I had before and I have a lot more flex now.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Alan, to gain ground clearance with my T18 I custom made my rear engine support crossmember. Turned the channel legs upward instead of being downward like the standard configuration. That gained a couple of inches high center ground clearance with no other changes.
I’m interested so be sure and let us know how you like the 82” wheelbase.

Do you happen to have a picture of this? I'm not certain I'm following you.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2022 at 6:44pm
Standard CJ T90 rear engine support crossmember vs. custom Dauntless T18 transmission into a flat fender.
With the upturned channel flanges I lost no ground clearance even though the T18 sets lower than a T90.
Made from an old bumper.

Edited by oldtime - 16 Aug. 2022 at 6:45pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

This last Saturday I spent the morning stretching the wheelbase on Thumper. A little over a year ago I installed rear springs all the way around on him. I set the front springs in place to where I retained the 80" wheelbase. After wheeling it that way for over a year I've decided that I wanted to try to move the front axle a little further forward.

I started out with new shackle and spring mounts I sourced from Walcks. I modified the front shackle mount by cutting about 3/4" off the front.

Great thread, thanks for all the good info! I'm getting started on a new build using a late '48 2A chassis and 3B body. Planning to do many of the things you've reported on. And I enjoy the Youtube videos too! Thanks for the info on rear springs all around and lengthening the wheelbase. I'm considering doing the same things. I'm shopping around for some shackles.  Where did you get those shackles?  Thanks, Jack

Edited by jbjeeps - 18 Sep. 2022 at 1:08pm
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 4:28pm
I thought I would share this picture of Thumper attempting an obstacle on the trail Rattler on a recent trip to SMORR in Southern Missouri. Thanks to "Nothing Special" for the image. He was along with us with his Bronco.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 7:21am
This winter I was planning no changes to Thumper other than just cleaning up some wiring and replacing a noisy throw-out bearing. That is until I saw a deal on Quadratec's website on the Yukon Zip lockers. They are currently almost $500 off the regular price. I've always wanted to try an air locker so I figured there's no better time than now.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2022 at 11:39am
I spent some time this weekend on getting some of the prep work done for the new air locker. I converted an old 30 caliber ammo can into a box to house the switches for both my winch and locker switches. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I also got the compressor for the air locker mounted in place. I then got everything wired in and working. Now I need to take the time to pull the rear differential and get the new locker set up. Hopefully setting up the gears will go smoothly.

Edited by AKoller - 27 Dec. 2022 at 11:45am
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 10:19am
Nice job, Alan.  Take lots of pictures of your air locker install.  I’m not familiar with the Yukon air locker, but I’m assuming it’s a lot like the ARB with internal airline & seals?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 10:21am
That air locker is gonna be sweet!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Nice job, Alan.  Take lots of pictures of your air locker install.  I’m not familiar with the Yukon air locker, but I’m assuming it’s a lot like the ARB with internal airline & seals?

From what I understand is ARB's patent on their original design that they produced for many years ran out and the Yukon is basically a copy of it. Hopefully it is as durable as the ARB units. Time will tell on that I guess. But since I run NDT's I will never have enough traction to break anything.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

[QUOTE=Rick G]  But since I run NDT's I will never have enough traction to break anything.

Ha!  +1
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 8:23am
Time for a quick update. I got the Yukon ZIP locker installed well before EJS. While out in Utah at EJS I found that I really liked the air locker for the most part. I really liked being able to run "open/open" with both the front and rear and only actuating the lockers when needed. I like how quickly it locks in. It engages almost immediately compared to my E locker I have in the front. I will likely install another air locker in the front end later this year.

I did however have one issue with it while I was there. The morning we ran Mashed Potatoes I started hearing the compressor cycling about every minute. The locker still seemed to work as it should. When we got back to camp we found that the MAC valve was bleeding off air out of the vent. I disassembled the valve and didn't find a thing wrong with it. I put it back together and it worked perfect the rest of the week. I'm sure a small piece of debris was probably stuck in there not allowing the valve to seat all the way.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 10:20am
My MAC valve leaked thru the discharge vent when I bench tested it before I installed it.  I took it apart and put it back together and it seemed to hold pressure after that.  I didn’t really fix anything when I had it apart, so who knows what it was.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2023 at 2:03am
Hey Al,

Just got my hands on a GM HEI Distrbutor, complete with  plug wires, alas, it won't fit with my Offy 360 intake. Good deal to you if you can use.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2023 at 7:50am
Just a few bloopers from this last weekend wheeling with the Reunion group.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2023 at 7:03pm
You might want to put the CB back in that bracket for when there aren't so many around to help you out of those situation!

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

You might want to put the CB back in that bracket for when there aren't so many around to help you out of those situation!

I have a FRS radio mounted in the Jeep most all of the time. I only throw the CB in for a couple trips a year I go on where I haven't convinced everyone to get a FRS radio.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
DAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2023 at 4:48pm
Nice project and neat install of the locker. What half shafts are you using in the rear axle?
1990 Mahindra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>