Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tilt Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tilt Steering
    Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:21pm
Getting to start on the new steering.   I want something with tilt.  it will be going to a ford reverce box.
whats the best or easest doner veichale to get one out of ?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:00am
The most common junkyard swap I’ve seen is a GM tilt from a midsize car. But those parts are getting worn out and harder to come by. 

You could go with an aftermarket column. Not cheap. But you can get them in the exact dimensions you need and they are all new internals. Ididit is the high end of those - but a good place to get some ideas. Also look at Speedway motors. They have a good collection in their street rod section. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:27pm
I used a GM tilt column from an 80s vehicle. I bought it used and didn't remove it so I can't say what it's from. If you can get one from a stick shift vehicle, you won't have to muck around with the auto transmission shifter. 

If you go down the GM path, also get the GM bracket that holds the column to the dash. It takes just a little modification to get the bracket to bolt through the jeep dash holes. Using the GM bracket puts the column in a good spot for me. 

Jeep Cherokees use a GM column to begin with and if you can score one of those, you'll get a steering wheel that says "Jeep" on it. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Boomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:49pm
I spent over 2 hours in our local wrecking yard and probley looked at a least 100 different cars trucks vans with tape messure in hand to more I looked at and they wanted 150 bucks for one I just deceided to order a new one from summit. havnt gone to Reno yet but they have four different ones in stock.  I think the 30 in one will work the best but want to take some more messurements before pulling the trigger on one......
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:35pm
I used a Cherokee column in a CJ3A.  It worked very well, I was even able to use the Cherokee mounting hardware in the stock holes at the bottom of the 3A's dash.  I then used a piece of double "D" collapsible shaft from Summit, but I was mounting to a Durango steering box. 
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:15am
I used to have a Flaming River aftermarket tilt column in my 2a.  It was a simple install and worked great.  Came with turn signals also.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

I used to have a Flaming River aftermarket tilt column in my 2a.  It was a simple install and worked great.  Came with turn signals also.

I used Flaming River's FR 2001 (30") in my 3B.  The turn signal connector is standard GM.  I also bought their "end of wand" headlight dimming switch.  That never worked well as there is insufficient room for the wires.  The module that came with that dimmer switch works well with momentary switches to ground and I have one of those both on the dash and in the standard floor location.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply