Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing chain replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing chain replacement
    Posted: 07 June 2023 at 8:36am
I believe it might be time to replace the timing chain on my motor.  It makes a distinct metalic sliding sound at mid or higher rpms, as if the chain may be contacting the cover as it gets spun outwards due to excessive stretch.  Does this sound plausible?  Also, can someone who has done this job previously explain how this is done?    I've been through the motor somewhat extensively so the work doesn't scare me, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I might be getting into.  I will pull the motor if needed but I was curious if it can be done on a lift (thanks to a friend) while still in the jeep

Edited by Grey - 07 June 2023 at 8:37am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 9:14am
Are you sure it has a chain drive cam? The CJ2A in you avatar picture would have had a gear drive cam engine. Doesn't matter much it is the same job.

Hard to get to with the engine in the Jeep but it can be done. I would remove the grill and radiator to gain access. The first hurdle will be removal of the crankshaft pulley. Sometimes they come right off with little trouble, but sometimes they are really stuck. I have rarely been able to remove a stuck one without bending it, so I always have a new one on hand. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 9:29am
I've had the pully off once already so hopefully it's not stuck.  This motor is a repower I found for 75$ in near running condition.  It replaced my gear driven that had a cracked block.  A little valve work and gaskets and it runs pretty well for short money.  
Is there any danger to running as is? I'm trying to make an event this weekend and don't think I'll have the parts in time 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 9:54am
  I don’t have a lot of experience with these chain-drive engines, but I have seen Chevrolets wear a hole in the cover. Chain-drive covers are much harder to find than gear-drive ones. 
  If it jumps time it’ll quit running, but at least you don’t have to worry about the pistons hitting the valves. 😆
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 12:01pm
I had a chain drive engine which had a gear drive timing cover on it. The chain and sprocket were rubbing against the cover because the gear drive cover does not have the spring loaded plunger which controls end float of the cam. 

On a gear drive cam engine there is a retainer plate which does a better job of this, but this is not present on the chain drive.

If it does have the correct timing cover for a chain drive cam you will see where the post for the plunger is riveted in the center. You need to make sure the spring loaded plunger is present when you disassemble.

If it has the wrong timing cover you will need to find the correct one and the plunger. 
Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 4:33pm
Thank you for this great info.  I'm pulling the cover off tomorrow hopefully and I'll see what the issue may be.  My gaskets just arrived today.  It looks like Kaiser Willys has a chain drive cover in stock in case it turns out mine is a gear drive cover
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 4:47pm
As I said, if it is a chain drive cover you can see where post is riveted to the cover.
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 6:00pm
My GPW chain cover hadbeen dented when someone used a long bolt to attach the oil pan to the cover.  The sloppy chain was making contact with the dented area and it was noisy.
The repair is straight forward.  Remove the grill, drain the coolant and remove the radiator and you will have the room needed. 
Pay strict attention to setting the marks on the cam and crank gears before disassembly per the manual.  Then, be very mindful not to move the crank or cam as you install the new chain. 
I don’t like RTV but a dab ar rhe corners where the gaskets meet is OK here.  Now is a good time to change the crankshaft seal.
Incidently, I just did this job on a 1969 Chevy during the past week.

Edited by Tom in RI - 08 June 2023 at 8:51am
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

My GPW chain cover hadbeen dented when someone used a long bolt to attach the oil pan to the cover.  The sloppy chain was making contact with the dented area and it was noisy.
The repair is straight forward.  Remove the grill, drain the coolant and remove the radiator and you will have the room needed. 
Pay strict attention to setting the marks on the cam and crank gears before disassembly per the manual.  Then, be very mindful not to move the crank or cam as you install the new chain. 
I don’t like RTV but a dab ar rhe corners where the gaskets meet is OK here.  Now is a good time to change the crankshaft seal.
Incidently, I just did this job on a 1969 Chevy during the past week.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 7:20pm
Tom, did that Chevy still have the aluminum gear with the plastic teeth?
BW 

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 8:56am
Oops - sorry for the double post.

Yes it did have the plastic gear.  I’ve been wanting to change it out for the past 25 years and finally got around to it.  It’s all still there.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 11:58am
  That’s amazing. I didn’t think they could last that long. Ive seen some with all of the plastic torn off, and still running on the stubby little aluminum teeth underneath. You could lift the chain off without unbolting the gear. Confused
BW 

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Grey Grey wrote:

Thank you for this great info.  I'm pulling the cover off tomorrow hopefully and I'll see what the issue may be.  My gaskets just arrived today.  It looks like Kaiser Willys has a chain drive cover in stock in case it turns out mine is a gear drive cover

If you do have a chain drive engine, then consider a Sanders double roller chain.   A little spendy but it'll last.     https://www.rfjp.com/p-2360-timing-chain-kit-double-roller-638457-9-k.aspx
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:17pm
  One place to check, as OldPappy mentioned, is where the oil pan bolts to the cover. If the wrong bolts are used (too long), they can actually pierce the cover and cause a leak. 
BW 

Grey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 5:11pm
So I got it apart this afternoon.  It has the correct cover with the post but the timing chain is super loose.  It also looks like a bolt was used at one point that was too long and very slightly dented the cover which was where the chain made contact.  Thanks everyone for the good info.  I should have it up and running for the run in NH on the 17th

Oh and I got the cover off no prob without removing the radiator.  A little tight but really not too bad

Edited by Grey - 08 June 2023 at 5:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply