Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing Cover Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing Cover Gasket
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 12:25pm
I removed the timing cover from my '46 CJ2a and in the process took off the front lip of the oil pan gasket.  My first thought was to cut a piece of cork gasket to fit the bottom of the timing cover and seal the seam with some sort of gasket sealant.  Is this sufficient or do I need to replace the oil pan gasket?  If so, what sort of gasket sealant do you recommend?   
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 12:54pm
Replace the pan gasket, it’s only a few more bolts 👍🏿

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 5:25pm
I like the high temp black RVT sealant. 
If the pan gasket wasn’t leaking, I would just build a gasket and use RVT. 
If the oil pan hasn’t been off in ages it’s a good idea to pull it and clean the sludge out of the bottom and clean the oil pickup screens, especially the inner screen.  
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 5:40pm
Thanks for the info.  I bought the CJ as a project in pieces so I don't know if it leaked or not.  I'll drop the pan and replace the gasket just to be on the safe side.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 8:44pm
Good choice.

When you buy a timing kit it will come with the timing gears, timing chain, (if needed), timing cover gasket, & the front part of the oil pan gasket. The front part of the oil pan gasket may need a little trimming as the supplier does not know exactly where your oil pan gasket will tear, & they usually tear.

For the sealant in the corner where the oil pan, timing cover, & block meet, I use Permatex #2. Some folks like RTV. I do not, as it has a tendency to squeeze out too much if one is not careful. Then when it dries, the squeeze out often will flake off & plug up the oil pick up screen. I have seen this way too often. I am not a big fan of RTV. 

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

Edited by cpt logger - 22 Jan. 2020 at 8:47pm
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 1:40am
We use a product called Curil T with great success as an additional barrier with the gasket.
Phil
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 6:58pm
John,
Now would be a good time to clean the sludge out of the bottom of the pan and also check/clean the oil pickup float.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 3:15am
The pan is out and soaking.  What is the best way to clean the pick-up?  
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 3:49am
Remove cotter pin and slide out of l shaped tube. Pry off cover and wash till clean. Take note as to the orientation of cover before you remove it. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply