Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips and Tricks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips and Tricks
    Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 3:54am
One thing I know is that the members here have all kinds of restoration tricks and tips that are shared all the time. My idea to start this thread, seeing we have so many enthusiastic, and eager new members, is a thread to share some of the tips and tricks that some of us have learned. I will start it out with some simple painting mechanisms I have created . The first is so you can paint bolts, washers, etc. without having to flip them on paper or cardboard. Thumbs DownIts a bend insulation hanger, with lighter wire bent and taped to it . Then the old faithful piece of cardboard for screws and bolts. Thus begins the thread of Tips and Tricks....I can't wait to see the response here.Thumbs Up

Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 4:53am
Wing nuts on the speedo make removing it as simple as putting your hand under the dash no more getting on your back. Magnets and paper to lay out a paper template for cutting new metal pieces off the old one ( just used for doing my floor boards in my truck). One of the best ones shared to me is using a wood screw and claw hammer to remove oil seals by drilling a small hole screwing in the screw so it bites then ripping it out with the hammer. Repeat as nessacary.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 4:54am
46 2a
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 12:43pm
I restored mine so many years ago, I can't remember the tricks I had. In that time, I have learned lots of new things and moved on to new hobbies. To quote what my dad says, "I have forgotten more stuff than more people know." Smile
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 12:54pm
If you have a small blast cabinet, you can clean up your screws and bolts by punching holes in a old tire inner tube and inserting the items in the holes. Blast one side and then filp over and do the other. The nuts and washers can be strung on a piece of wire and also done as a single item.  Have a scraper close by and if you are blasting and run into a run or thick paint, scrape it quick and off it comes. Also keep the item in contact with the lower screen to ground it. If you don't, static charge builds up and you get stimulated once in a while LOL. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 7:06pm
weld a nut on a vise grip and screw on to a slid hammer. i use it to pull seals and pins.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2012 at 11:54pm
Those are some good ones!Thumbs Up C'mon guys give it up......
hcpcjj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hcpcjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2012 at 1:05am
Weld a washer to the end of a castle nut. Use this along with a C-clamp to compress the shock grommets and get the cotter pins in.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2012 at 1:43am
Sharpies, ziplock baggies, coffee cans , a notebook, and your digital camera set to close up are your friends when taking any project apart. They become your best buds when reassembly time comes around. Especially if it is months or years later.

You can never have too many shelves. They are even better when they roll around. Used Bakery bread racks are the best.

Google is awesome for parts locating, if you know the part numbers.

Edit: and if you type like I do lately, spell check helps prevent embarassment.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2012 at 1:46am
also bill you cant have two many building.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2012 at 2:12am
If you need to do an oil seal on the T case and don't want to remove the shaft from the middle ( output shafts). My truck caps for the rear axle. I think they are roughly the same size as the jeep ones. ( the cap that goes over the axle on the hub) take that and it is the perfect tool to hit with a hammer to install new oil seals. It is the perfect size to fit inside the lip and its wide enough to get a good solid surface area for the seal and not bend it.
46 2a
lmontycj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmontycj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2012 at 1:00pm
TIP: If you get bitten by a poisonous spider, drink as much whole milk as you can on you way to the Doctor. (I was told at least a gallon of milk)Sick 
'46 #38141
'46 Bantam
williamsmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamsmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2012 at 9:41pm
Bad breath is better than no breath at all!  To patch a small hole roll brazing rod like a snail the size of the hole then place it on duck tape to hold from the backside, tack it in 2 places then fill in by brazing over it then grind it down.  Or you can cut a round piece of a coffee can duck tape it on the backside of the whole and solder in the hole then sand it down for primer.
1946 CJ2A #72643

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 12:02am
When I was fixing all the various holes that the PO had installedLOL, I stopped by a local sheet metal company and they gave me a box of different sized slugs that came from the punch press, then when I needed a patch to fill a hole, I either trimmed the slug to match, or better yet, drilled the hole to match the slug, then welded it in and ground it flat. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 1:48am
I used coat hangers  to fill in all the holes in my jeep.  They weld in very nice and you do not have to get it as hot.
Ed
cj2a lefty
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 4:43am
I agree with Ed.....I've used coathangers before too. It seems like though, as with most anything else these days, older ones do alot better than the newer (cheaper I assume) alloys.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 5:52am
Welding stores have bare steel welding rods that are better than coathangers.

When bleeding the rear brakes I elevate the front so that the master cylinder is higher than the wheel cylinders crack the bleeders and let gravity bleed them for me.

Steering wheel removal if you don't have a pristine wheel.  Loosen the nut and wrap a chain tightly around the base of the wheel, tight enough that it won't get to the spokes.  Then take the tail of the chain up and over a 4 ton bottle jack resting on the nut and back down to a point 180ยบ on the chain on the ring.  Jack away!

To find a vacuum leak, use an unlit propane or oxy acetylene torch.  It works much better than spraying carb cleaner on everything and does not make a mess which is especially nice on a clean and painted engine. 

Any bolt that penetrates a water jacket  gets wrapped with teflon tape.

All other bolts are slathered in anti-seize.

If the hubs and axle shafts are shot from the key way being loose, replace them with later versions with a separate hub and drum so you don't have to fight to service the brakes.

Edited by PhillipM - 23 Dec. 2012 at 5:59am
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2012 at 2:42pm
I think I posted a picture of this one time, it was the first "trick" that came to mind.  To drill a hole in the bottom of the frame use a hand drill, battery or plug in, and a floor jack.  It helps if you have a locking trigger.  Put the jack in place, position the drill and apply a little pressure with the jack to hod the bit against the frame.  Start the drill and just keep slight pressure with the jack.  Beats laying on your back, straining with metal flakes in your face.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>