Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips wanted for buying a CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips wanted for buying a CJ2A
    Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:12am
My name is Cole, I'm new here. I'm currently looking for a Willys CJ2A as my first Jeep project. I figure that they are the simplest Jeeps out there and a good way to get some basic experience. I've already done a little digging around Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and decided to set my budget for no more than $3000. The reason I'm asking for tips is because I'm new to all this and I figured this would be a good place to get opinions and tips on what to look for and what to expect for what I'm asking for.  So, do any of you guys who have bought 2As (or own them and have experience with them) have any words of wisdom for my search? Thanks, 

Cole
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:30am
My advice would be to spend a little more to get something that runs and drives. It won’t be that much more than a basket case and you can evaluate the vehicle better before buying. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:39am
I think you’ll be able to find something in your price range. 
But it’s going to need a lot of work. 
For me I’m more interested in conditions of engine and drivetrain. 
I would rather have a beat fairly original body than something that’s full of bondo and lots of mods. 
Take your time and don’t buy something that’s to far gone. 
Are you looking to do a full restoration? 
Or are you looking for something you can wrench on and drive?
Keep us posted. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 1:51am
Welcome to the forum!

A good start for a CJ-2A project would be to decide exactly what you expect out of the finished product. If you want something you can knock around the backwoods in, that's one thing. If you want a show piece, that is a totally different thing.

Another consideration would be how much of the work on the jeep you can do yourself and how much has to be contracted out to others.

$3000 won't usually get you a jeep that you can just drive right off the bat. To get one that will start, stop and steer safely you are probably going to have to put a few more coin into the project than that. Not that a running CJ-2A can't be had for that price, but it would be a real find if you did.

One of the things that is almost always in bad shape on a body is the channels under the floor board and tool box. They are almost always rusted out. Plan on some bodywork there. If you find one that isn't rusted out, you are miles ahead of the game on body work.

Electrical wiring is a big issue on some jeeps out there. After 70+ years, there are almost guaranteed to be some issues with the wiring.

All of them leak oil...so don't worry about that as much. Just plan on fixing it after you buy it.

Slack in the steering and no brakes might be the first things you have to repair. This is nothing unusual. Plan on getting a service manual to use to guide you through the repairs. There is a copy of the service manual on this web site that can be downloaded or referred to if you need it, or there are hard copies for sale at Walck's, Kaiser-Willys, and other parts vendors.

Flatfendering is a wonderful hobby. It can sometimes be a little frustrating, It will be greasy and dirty, it can be rewarding. It can be really fun. It is not cheep though.

The word JEEP really stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. I think most owners on the Forum will agree that that is pretty much right.

Now, get out there and start hunting...and good luck with your find. It will be yours, don't let anyone tell you what NEED do with it...It is your rig, build it the way you want it. We gladly will help with questions you might have, just post them here.

One other thing, we really, really love pictures of your project.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 2:31am
What are you hoping for in the end? A stock 2a or modified flat fender? 
If you’re going stock spend more up front, it will be way cheaper in the end. If going modified start with a Jeep that has the running gear of your choice. That will help in either way save a bunch in the end. 
Most of all, it’s your jeep do as you like and make sure to enjoy it!!

Jay
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 3:00am
There is currently a CJ-2A on Redding CA's Facebook Market place for $3000

As $3000 CJ-2A in this part of the country goes its not bad
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ColeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 3:00am
First, thank you guys for your replies. Second, I guess I should've been a more specific on what exactly I'm looking for. Yes, I don't mind if there's some body damage, drive train definitely needs to be intact though I wouldn't mind some minor engine trouble. As long as the main components are there (drivetrain, tub, grille, fenders) I'll be fine, I plan on doing some custom mods to it once I get it running.

As for where I'd like it to end up, I don't really care if I can't drive it on the street, I just want a little jeep that'll provide me with some experience both on the trail and in the garage. I don't plan on going too crazy with it, maybe add a leaf and some better shocks for a better stance, some lockers, some sliders and skids, and definitely a roll bar. Maybe later on down the road (if possible and/or I'm that ambitious) I'll swap in a Dauntless V6 or a little 4 cylinder diesel but for now, I just want a little rig to jeepin' with my friends that I don't have to worry about busting up (another reason is right now, I daily a '96 XJ and that's what I've been taking on the trails and I just want to go wheeling with out worrying about driving it home with all the new custom modifications the trails made for me). Thanks for all the help so far, I'm very grateful for everyone's help. Take care,

Cole

Edited by ColeB - 08 June 2020 at 3:47am
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 2:41pm
Cole,

Here is one in Gold Hill, OR. The jeep needs a wee bit of attention, but the price seems okay. Gold Hill is between Medford, OR and Grants Pass, OR.

https://medford.craigslist.org/pts/d/gold-hill-wwii-jeep-rat-rod-project/7134192692.html

I have no skin in the ad,

Zootin
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 4:27pm
In that price range and above my 0.02 would be paperwork, but if you're not going to street it it would be less important
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

In that price range and above my 0.02 would be paperwork, but if you're not going to street it it would be less important

X2 on a good title.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mazi788 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mazi788 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 8:38am
When you go for shopping around, carefully and closely inspect the frame and suspension attachment points, body mounts, engine mounts.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2020 at 10:42pm
Also check for cracks in the frame at the front crossmember area.  The frame rails and the crossmember itself are frequently cracked there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 8:49pm
In risk of getting banned, why a 2A?  The 3A's have a much better frame and windshield IMO.  Everything else is about the same.

My criteria would be focused more on a good tub than the drivetrain.  Body work is a very big time sink and money hole-especially so if someone else is doing the work.  Drivetrain parts are usually fairly easy to obtain and straight forward to repair/rebuild.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

My criteria would be focused more on a good tub than the drivetrain.

Interestingly, Ray Cowdery said the opposite in "The All-American Wonder" vol. 1.  I lean in your direction on that question. 

On the windshield frame question though, I much prefer the 2A w/s frame, purely from a personal preference.  Regarding the chassis, a late 2A frame is the same as a 3A frame, so that's 6-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 2:34am
If you see one in your area and have a chance to talk to the owner, ask questions about their's and let them know your looking for one. It's funny I was driving ours today and just as I came up to my mom's old house I saw her next door neighbor's son sitting in a Willy's in his driveway. I whipped in there and we talked awhile, they showed me their mint 1960 Desoto Adventurer (just restored), and told me about how they found the Willys, which they paid $2500 for, in pieces. It has an almost rust free repop steel body, a Ford front axle, and F head motor that was just machined, they just had to put it together. He said their friend has 2 more Willy's in his garage. The point is, the more people know that your looking for one, the more chance you'll run into something up your alley or learn a few things. Good luck and let us know how it goes. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 2:01am
Now I have to look for pics of a DeSoto Adventurer...  Smile

Okay, I'm kinda surprised to not see a pedestrian-hooking hood ornament there... 

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 28 June 2020 at 2:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply