Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire size - stock CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire size - stock CJ2A
    Posted: 18 Apr. 2013 at 8:44pm
My '47 is sprung over. Have new springs coming and will set the suspension up as stock again. 

SO... what size tire can I fit under this Jeep with factory 16X4.5 rims. Will 6.50 X 16 fit - fill the well but not cause turning/rubbing problems? What about 7.00X16? I am not interested in ND type tires - ideally something like the old Goodyear Suburban or M&S tires. I expect I would have to go tubed and bias ply on these rims?

Also contemplating a set of CJ5 rims - I think they are 16X5.5 or 16X6 I would like a set of real mud terrain tires - tubeless if possible for the bigger CJ5 rims.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2013 at 9:10pm

Mike,

I know you said you're not interested in NDT tires, but mine are the size you asked about so I thought I would show you a picture anyway. New stock springs on the front, original springs on the back. Tires are 7.00 X 16. No rubbing or turning issues in the 600 or so miles I have driven her.
(Stock springs on the truck too, but the fronts are a little flat. NOT stock tires.) Smile

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2013 at 9:14pm
Stan - good info... much appreciated. Do you know offhand the actual tire height on the 7.00X16 NDTs you are running? They look about right.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2013 at 9:18pm
If I remember, when I get home I can put a tape measure to them.
What I have are the tires that came with the jeep when I got it.  My uncle told me he got them off of a Willys truck that was going to the junkyard. The tires are lumpy from sitting for may years with not much air in them so I will probably be replacing them soon, but I will use the same size. I like how the look.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2013 at 10:04pm
I am going to be putting cooper st's on my jeep on monday.  The size is 215 85 r16, they are a good fit for the jeep.
1952 m38
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 12:07am
Mike,
I had a hard time holding the camera and the tape and getting this shot, so if you can't tell, it lookes like about 29.5 inches inflated to 32psi.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by BillF BillF wrote:

I am going to be putting cooper st's on my jeep on monday.  The size is 215 85 r16, they are a good fit for the jeep.

Bill - Putting a tubeless radial on a stock 16X4.5 rim? Please post up on how this works out - I would love a tire like that, but am uncertain if the tubeless radial will work or if a 215/85 R16 will fit properly - I have been eyeing these tires and wondering if someone has done it on factory rims...

Stan -- thanks again, good stuff. I figure I can go to 30" or so when I get the springs set up like factory. Should have the springs next week.

Thanks again.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
DDddd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDddd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 2:02am
Sta super traxion are bias ply with the old school look similar to the suburban m+s. I will be buying tires in a few months and have 5.375" rims. I have been debating between sta 650-16, ndt 700-16, and 215/85r16, so I am interested in others experiences and especially pics too.
scott
Alabama CJ3B
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 2:41am
I am just going to run radial tubes no issues at all.  I know several guys running these tires on there stock m38 16x4.5 rims with no problems.
1952 m38
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 3:57am
Bill - outstanding - best of both worlds -availability and radial ride on the right wheels.

I am aware of the STA Super Traxions, exploring alternatives. 

Thanks all.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 9:10am
I run tubed 'tubeless' tyres on the Jeepster, the only problem I have had is when the tyres were originally put on they didn't take the label out of the inside of the tyre and the tube blew/split because of the movement against the edge of the label.
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 9:19am
While on the subject of tyres (Yes that's how the rest of the world spells itLOL) has anyone done any tests to see what increase in speed you get by changing to the 700-16's over 600s?? 

I have 600 NDTs on my rims that will go onto the CJ once its finished, only because it came with a nice set, but to give it slightly higher gearing I may go to 700's next time around.

For the same rpm in top gear, what is the truse road speed, I imagine its going to be approx 5-8 mph higher than what the speedo is reading???

Thanks

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 10:56am
I've had 7.00 X 16s for about 4 years and no problems. All new springs ("the good ones" from Walck's) which brought it up about an inch. I think Mike uses 1" lift shackles because he uses it offroad.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 12:01pm
7.00x16 is the stock size for an m38 so they should give you no problems on a cj2a since the m38 and the cj2a are pretty close to each other.

I should have photos of my new tires mounted on monday.  I will post them to this thread.
1952 m38
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

While on the subject of tyres (Yes that's how the rest of the world spells itLOL) has anyone done any tests to see what increase in speed you get by changing to the 700-16's over 600s?? 

I have 600 NDTs on my rims that will go onto the CJ once its finished, only because it came with a nice set, but to give it slightly higher gearing I may go to 700's next time around.

For the same rpm in top gear, what is the truse road speed, I imagine its going to be approx 5-8 mph higher than what the speedo is reading???

Adrian,
I don't know how conclusive this is, but...
I'm running the 7.00 16's and I have a new repop speedometer which may or may not read the same as a stock one. That having been said, every time I pass one of those speed limit signs with radar feedback (do you have those in New Zealand?) my speed is spot on. Speedo reads the same as the sign. Around here those signs are always set up in neighborhoods where the speed limit is low, so I don't have any feedback on anything above 35mph.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2013 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Thanks

Adrian 

Adrian -- if your look at the 'revolutions per mile' specs for your current TYRES and compare to the same specs for a 7.00 X 16 you should be able to apply some arithmetic and get pretty close. Of course there is every reason to suspect that your speedo is not very accurate - they seldom are. I use a GPS to determine speed and have an accurate check against the speedo.

On my Landcruiser I have Toyo M55 255/85/R16 TYRES - they are about 3" taller than factory spec. At higher speeds my speedo is off about 4-5 MPH. On my F350 the TYRES are only slightly larger and there is no observable inaccuracy on the Speedo.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
surveypunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surveypunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2013 at 12:32am
Tagging this thread for future goodness re: TIRES! Wink

JB
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2013 at 12:41am
Mike and everybody else that replied.

Yeah I know I can do the maths and work  out the increase in road speed......but I was just being lazy and hoping someone else had already worked it out exactly .....my speedo is a repro one and I guess its calibrated to suit the 2a's overall gearing (5.38) and 600-16 tyres.

I thought the 700s were an option from new but stock was 600s??

If 700s fit ok and don't chaff or bottom out then I will start to look for a set once my NDTs get worn out

I am still sitting on the fence as to the fitting of an overdrive but I would imagine an overdrive and 700-16 tyres would create too high a final drive gearing and the L134 would be struggling.

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>