Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire tubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 4:19am
I did all of them and I never had a wheel come apart. I knew how to use safety measures either in the shop or out on the roadside. As I said, I still have all of my parts either from the tire shop or from construction. Ain't saying I am the smartest guy but I do know a few things...
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 1:17pm
Cpt,

Just saves the tubes.  

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 8:59pm
Stev, That is what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, the combat rims need the flaps, true split rims do not. If one lives in Western Oregon, or Western Washington, or plans on fording creeks & other bodies of water, it would be a good idea to use flaps if you are using tubes.

I also have mounted tires to true split rims on semis, & other heavy equipment & still have all of my fingers & toes. IMHO, unless it is done wrong, they are no more dangerous than "safety" rims. OTOH, supposedly they do not like to be underinflated. If they get low on air pressure, supposedly, the ring can become unseated & at the next inflation it could fly off. I have only heard this from folks who are afraid of split rims & never from folks like Uncamonkey, who were/are in the industry.

I have mounted hundreds of aircraft tires which are like combat rims in that the rims split in the middle. Some use flaps & some do not. Flaps add weight, which is a big no-no on aircraft. I assembled them according to the aircraft manufacturers publications. I never pinched a tube & I never had a leak.  
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 10:16pm
Chucked the flaps out of my wheels when I had them blasted and painted abut six years ago. Ran lots of water crossing since then. Only one flat and it was not due to failure where the tube touches the inside of the wheel. Just cuz mine didn't doesn't mean your's won't though.  
 i run these tires at about 9 lbs on the trail. 

My, mostly uninformed. take from my limited experience: run em if you want. Probably won't hurt, except they are extra weight to carry and a pain to deal with when swapping a tire off the wheel, especially when the FLAP is rusted to the wheel. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 10:34pm
Why couldn't one take an old tube, cut the inner diameter out of it and just contact cement it to the wheel for a cheap, cost nothing rubbing surface on the inside of the wheel?

I've never used flaps either but then again most of my wheels have been in good shape on the inside.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12