Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tires: Photos of 6.00 & 6.50 side by side & siping
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tires: Photos of 6.00 & 6.50 side by side & siping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires: Photos of 6.00 & 6.50 side by side & siping
    Posted: 23 Mar. 2022 at 11:52am
In case anyone would like to see the difference side by side 6.00 x 16 ndt vs STA Super Traxion 6.50 x 16. Unmounted obviously. But you get the idea.
I was going to glom this onto an existing tire size thread but there are so many and they seem to get off topic so here it is.

Edited by jhg - 09 Aug. 2022 at 10:40pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
imac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 9:34pm
Looks like a more pronounced difference than I would have expected. Let me know if you have any issues with rubbing or anything once you get the STAs mounted - I was looking at the same ones to replace the ancient NDTs on mine. 
47 CJ2A
Normandy Blue w/ Harvest Red Wheels
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 9:57pm
I have the 6.50 STA's and they work great.  I replaced the 7.00 tires that were on it for 45 years.  

Edited by jgodfrey - 24 Mar. 2022 at 9:59pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 11:25pm
I really like those tires. 

The CJ2A I have came to me with some old rotten 7.50 X 16 Power King tires mounted. They were very rotten, and worn, but I didn't see any indication of clearance issues. So, there is some room for bigger tires on these Jeeps. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2022 at 11:28pm
They can be had for $159.00 each but not sure for how long.

Nope. Just checked and they went up to $177.00 each. 

Edited by jhg - 24 Mar. 2022 at 11:29pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 8:30am
I have 6.50 x 16's STA on Ol' Red and there are no rubbing issues. Plenty of traction in mud or snow. Not so much on ice. They will pick up small stones.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 25 Mar. 2022 at 8:31am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 9:26am
I siped mine. We will see how well they do in icy conditions. 

Regarding picking up stones, NDT's are the cleanest running tire by a wide margin. 
GPASGRN2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPASGRN2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 4:29pm
Anyone tried the 7.50 - 16 NDT’s ? Almost 32’s with a 6 plus tread width. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by GPASGRN2A GPASGRN2A wrote:

Anyone tried the 7.50 - 16 NDT’s ? Almost 32’s with a 6 plus tread width. 

About 40 years ago we put 7.50-16s on an MB. They rubbed on any hard turn. Other than that they worked fine. We did notice a slight loss of hill climbing ability. Not enough to replace the tires though. The MB has a winch on the front, so not a deal breaker.

The 7.50s replaced 6.50s At the time the 7.50s were much more available than the 6.50s. IIRC, we could find three 6.50s from three different shops. All of the shops had a full set of 7.50s in stock.

Later when our GPW needed new shoes, we bought 6.50 mud & snow tires for it. They did not rub & they worked much better in the mud, crud, snow & ice then the NDTs did. That is what our experience is/was. Of course, YMMV!

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
GPASGRN2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPASGRN2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 5:15pm
Thanks CPT…
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 8:07pm
  Any of you that are thinking of coming to Colorado: Taller tires give the same result as a higher gear ratio, and you’ll really be crying the blues about lack of power. Just sayin’,,,,,
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2022 at 9:23pm
Wondering about that myself. I was able to run my jeep with the 6.00 16's enough (and I can return to the same service road AND I have a video climbing a grade on same) to be able to tell a difference.

One reason I chose the 6.50's over 7.00 NDT's was the size leap, but as the photographs demonstrate there is quite a jump in size with the STA's. 

More than I was expecting. Its all good though. If I loose too much performance for how I use my jeep it will be no trouble selling the Traxions and going back to new NDT's. 

I have a tire changer... so its not that much trouble and no cost to do it. What else is there to do, right? Mow the lawn again? (yak)

Edited by jhg - 26 Mar. 2022 at 10:28am
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2022 at 1:24pm
Initial impressions on the change from 6.00 16's ndt's to Super Traxion 6.50 16's.

The rubber compound on the Traxions is pretty soft (relatively speaking) and for a tire used on a early cj that seems a good thing. Soft does not necessarily translate into a lack of resilience. I doubt you would be tearing off chunks of lugs on your favorite trail.
These are not intended to be 50k pavement tires so it makes sense they would offer them with a compound more in keeping with slower speeds and secondary roads/dirt.

Turning radius: the 2a turning radius has never been very good anyway. So if you sized up with these tires and experienced no rubbing on a locked turn it only means your stops were proud already. I get rub going right, so need to back the stop out about 1/4" (guessing)

Siping: I siped mine pre-install and recommend it. Everything I have read out there supports siping as improving performance under wet or ice pavement conditions. Nay-sayers with a burr notwithstanding, who get bothered by anyone going to the trouble. Just ignore them. Even an incremental improvement on ice is a welcome one.

Here are a couple pictures of the sipes after the tires have been run a little.

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2022 at 1:39pm
How do the 6.50 STAs compare with NDTs in terms of steering effort? They look like they'd take more muscle at the wheel.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2022 at 1:52pm
Can't say really. I can tell a difference in the gear ratio though. At a full stop changing tire direction has always been an exercise with a 2a no matter what tire. Rolling changes are easier and the difference between the two sizes did not jump out at me the way the gearing did.

Edited by jhg - 12 Apr. 2022 at 1:53pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2022 at 1:53pm
Yes steering effort must go up as tread width increases.
But for Ross steered CJ’s I find tires up to 7.50 x 16” as acceptable.
No way I would go wider with a Ross.
Done did that in my early years by mounting a set of 35” Gumbo Wide Monster Mudders. They played havoc on the steering and especially bad for the Go-Devil.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2022 at 1:59pm
I know it wasn't the original request, but I'll get a pic of a brand new 6.5x16 STA Super Trax next to a 7.0x16 NDT. They are the same size to the naked eye, at least on diameter. I paid $1,100 for 5 delivered to my door. Ouch. But, who knows what they'll be in 3 months, and--it took some digging to find somebody who had them in stock.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2022 at 3:09pm
You all know that, at least back in the day, actual tire diameters varied by manufacturer. For example a Goodyear 6.50-16 would be taller then a Cooper or Goodrich of the same size. IIRC, the Cooper was the shortest.

I worked at an Standard station in high school & I measured a few for my buddies CJ-5. I found that not all tires from the same manufacturer would be the same diameter. Close, but not the same. There could be up to 1" difference. I got so I watched for this so it did not mess up my friends Jeep.

Today with more experience, I doubt if it actually matters all that much. We only used 4WD when the terrain was slippery. IE: Mud, snow, sand, or ice. Thus, the tires would slip & not bind up the transfer case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>