Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wc16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tires
    Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 2:59am
I am going to replace tires on my 48.
any thoughts on a correct tire for the civilian jeep? thanks
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 11:46am
6:00 16" NDTs ?

What sort of driving to you normally do with it?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 4:04pm
For what it is worth,

Alan is correct on the tire size being 600/16. On my all stock 45 2A, I went with 700/16 square shoulder non directional tread. I think the wee bit larger tire size helps in keeping the rpm's down. I don't have a overdrive on my jeep. The larger than stock tire size does not rub on the frame when turning on my jeep.
You may want to check on this with your jeep though.

Frank
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 4:09pm
Depends on if you want to look cool, or if you want to be able to drive in the snow.
I have 7.00 16 NDTs. They work great on rocks, dirt, mud. Not so great on snow, sand and ice.
But if you want to be correctly cool NDTs are the only way to go.

Other opinions may vary.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 1:59am
I have two sets of 600 NTD's that I am happy with but if you are going to play in the rocks like Stan I would go with the 700's   The little bit of difference adds up like others have said. 

Mike
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 3:27pm
I have 7.00 on my jeep I like how they fill out the fenders better and they do not rub. That being said I am not happy with them in winter or rain. I have chains for winter up north on my land and they make a world of difference. On my willys Truck I have NDT's in front and truck tires in the back. I also have another set of modern tires in the front for bad weather which make a huge difference. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2017 at 8:07pm
You haven't lived until you've gone through a red light sideways in the rain driving a truck with NDTs on the back, luckily no one was coming the other way. After that I would never put them on something driven on the road more anyway.
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 5:43am
Jpet did a great little vid on NDT tires in the snow, he compared the stock tire in the snow then he hand siped the tires and drove his jeep the same little hill and what a difference the siping made , I was impressed and plan on siping my tires
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 5:58am
jpet's tire siping test video.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 8:10am
Here is the other video:

The siping does help somewhat, but it still does not compare to an AT tire in snow or rain.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 1:18pm
I'd pick either STA 650-16 super traxions, or Cooper 215-85 R16's M&S. for year around driving. You can't beat the "look" of NDT's or NDCC military tires. The NDCC's ride better. As said the military treads are a disaster on slick roads. It's all your choice! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 1:56pm
I have STA 650-16 on our 1946 trail Jeep they are great.  I would not recommend NDCC.  The rounded edge does a poor job off-road gripping slippery ground.  The square cut edges of the NDT are better in soft ground but I think the STA 650-16 Super tractions are a better on and off road tire.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by wc16 wc16 wrote:

I am going to replace tires on my 48.
any thoughts on a correct tire for the civilian jeep? thanks
   I'm at the same place, same questions with my late 48, (the one pictured in my avatar) with 16" NDT's. At a time I don't exactly remember the tires where switched to 15" rims, I noticed in the original sales brochure 7.00-15" where optional. I've rounded up 5 satisfactory 15" original rims to use, probably go with A T tires especially after watching Jpet's vid, many thanks for your very informative video's. My question is what are the disadvantages of 15" rims&tires seems like most people prefer 16"? Thanks Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 2:45pm
I have a cj3a with 15" wheels.  I don't think there's a performance difference.  The 15" wheel might offer more sidewall which would be good for low pressure use (I'm guessing on that).  Might be more tire options in 15".  But the 16" size is original and cooler IMHO.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

I have a cj3a with 15" wheels.  I don't think there's a performance difference.  The 15" wheel might offer more sidewall which would be good for low pressure use (I'm guessing on that).  Might be more tire options in 15".  But the 16" size is original and cooler IMHO.

There is a height difference between a 7.00 x 16 nd and a 7.00 x 15 nd, I have both on different Jeeps and guessing 1"-2" in difference. Jus,t say'in!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 5:40pm
Ohh, good point Lee.  I was thinking more just that either size offers enough tire options to get the same result.  I should have been more clear.

A 15" wheel/tire combo with the same overall radius as an equivalent 16" setup, would have to have a little taller sidewall to achieve it, I'm thinking.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Ohh, good point Lee.  I was thinking more just that either size offers enough tire options to get the same result.  I should have been more clear.

A 15" wheel/tire combo with the same overall radius as an equivalent 16" setup, would have to have a little taller sidewall to achieve it, I'm thinking.

I'm guessing your correct!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 2:06am
There are more tire options with the 15" wheels.

IIRC, a 235/75R-15 tire is about the correct diameter for the CJs. I think that they have a 29" diameter. My CJ-5 came with a set of them. They worked well. 

My only concern with a 15" tire is the width of the tire. I would be concerned about the tires rubbing on the frame.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>