Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Title

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Title
    Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 6:59am
Does anyone know if Michigan will issue a title of
 we don't have one? I have a 1948 cj2a that was bought by my grandfather in '48, he died in '81 and my grandmother gave it to my dad and I inherited it when he died in '09. My grandmother and the state couldn't find a copy of the title in '81 and since my dad only plowed with it, he never tried anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Dano-'48 CJ2A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 1:03pm
Ask you local DMV what the laws are in your state are. Guess's here will be worthless once you get to the counter at DMV.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Ask you local DMV what the laws are in your state are. Guess's here will be worthless once you get to the counter at DMV.

Sounds like your experiences with DMVs are like mine.  The ones I've had to deal with on unusual stuff seem to think they're a law unto themselves.  

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 8:45pm
A lot of clerks don't know anything. Talk to the right person.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 10:02pm
I think Dano was hoping to find someone from MI with experience in the matter, not speculation...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 10:08pm
Having had my fun (and failure on the 1st Willys Wagon) with the WV DMV I would look into a bonded title. Sounds like many states do this. Don't think mine does but you should try MI. Otherwise
find a number somewhere (firewall or front frame rail) and have your DMV search on it. Good luck. Sometimes it is easy, other times not.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 10:34pm
As I said just find the right person. Some know what they are doing an some don't.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 18 Oct. 2018 at 10:38pm
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 11:36pm
Being a one family Jeep, one would think ( or hope) this would make it a lot easier to get a title. If it were mine I would bring in as much information about it to the DMV that I can find myself before hand.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-serial-numbers-locations_topic13957.html

https://www.thecj2apage.com/storage/Spotters-Guide.pdf

blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 12:27am
I don't know about MI, but here in Okla its getting harder. I cant even salvage an old vehicle without a title, unless I have a farm tax number (they wrote this into the law, due to inheritance) Look around to folks that know current laws. I recently met a lady at a gun show, who could title my old jeep..   She was quite high. Twice the price of the jeep I bought it for..might be worth it..don't know..but its legal.
My gosh...If it was stolen back 30 years ago...I might give them back a rotted steering wheel and a rusted case of a body..
Good Luck and wish me luck

Craig

Edited by blademaker - 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:05am
cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:13am
I also had some title issues in FL.  My jeep is a one family jeep but since it passed threw a couple different hands with no one registering it, it was a bit of a challenge. Multiple trips to the DMV and some signatures from relatives and we finally go it done.  I also looked into the bonded title, down here it just seemed sketchy.  The sources I found to get one didn't seem like the type of places I would want to give all that personal info to.  Good Luck
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:16am
I know it's possible in Texas...but it's also a great big PITA! First, you have to get a letter of denial from DMV. Then the local sheriffs office has to do a VIN inspection and search. Then you have to purchase a title bond. Then back to DMV for a bonded title. Then to the county license office to apply and pay for the plates. All of this is at their convenience. So far, I've been working on this for about a month now, and am still on the first step. Because the Sheriff won't do the inspection during inclamate weather...its been raining hate for the last 3 weeks...ugh...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 2:52am
GO TO YOUR LOCAL DMV nothing anyone from some other state or situation will do you any good. Heck just go look a their web site.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 12:58pm
It really makes a differance WHO you talk to at the DMV.  The right person who knows what there talking about can get it done easily,   in PA 98% of the tellers don't know squat and don't care.  I've had titles sent back 4 times when they where 100% correct and the wrong people kept opening them.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 4:23pm
  It might be easier and save some money in the long run to list an add to buy a title to match your year of jeep. Get some data plates made to match the new title and you are set to go.  They used to be in the 250.00 range.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 4:35pm
Be careful...LEO's in Texas really frown on that...
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 3:17am
There was an article or a column in Four Wheeler or JP several years ago where the writer decided to do an experiment.  He went to the DMV (in CA) and stood in one line and (finally) got to a clerk. He presented his paperwork and got turned down.  He got in another line and saw another clerk and got closer to his goal.  He got in yet another line and saw yet another clerk and got even closer to his goal until he finally got to a clerk who knew what was needed to get the paper issued.  Perseverance was the key (along with having the time to wait).  It might be worth a try...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 4:23am
I bought a M-416 trailer earlier this year. It came out of California and the owner had it for years but did not register it. He got it with a bill of sale and sold it to me the same way. I checked it in NCIC and it was clear. No registration record in CA.

I went to the Nevada DMV, did a VIN check and assumed that I could get a title based on the bill of sale. No deal.

I found out that a municipal court judge was sympathetic to these situations. He essentially allows you to sue your trailer/vehicle for custody. For a $75 filing fee, it was me -v- a 1965 Johnson Furnace Co M416. He awarded me custody and ordered DMV to issue me a title.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 4:38am
yep, find the right person. A friend got to move his van for around 1/10 of what he was first told.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>