Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tittle for salvage vehicle in n.c.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tittle for salvage vehicle in n.c.
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 5:25pm
Hi,
 Have a cj 1944 that is a salvage. Body completely rusted. Running gears and frame great. How can I obtain a tittle in N.C. ?
Don
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2020 at 6:50pm
Ask your DMV or do a search on line for their procedures for a lost or salvage title. Each state is different.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 6:02pm
Check into getting a bonded title for your state

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Check into getting a bonded title for your state

Since NC is a title state if you do not have one presently you will need to obtain a bonded title.  If you still have the data plate from the MB you can try doing a title search but each state works differently so you may come up with nothing.

I am hoping that when I try to get mine back on the road that it is not too much of a pain.  Mine was pulled out of a field in another part of the NC and I am pretty sure that it was in NY at one time based a stickers I found on the windshield.

To get the bond the vehicle basically needs to be put back together and appraised.  Then the DMV assigns a value to it and the bond will be worth 1-1/2 times the value of the vehicle.

I am unclear as to how/when/if you can ever get a clean and clear title on a bonded title vehicle.  There should be something for this since many states (especially in the northeast) did not issue titles for a long time.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2020 at 4:57pm
I went back and did more research.

The bond on the title is maintained for three years, after which the bond expires and you can get a clean title issued.

If the vehicle is inoperable you can get an Inoperable Title issued but would need to get a replacement bonded title if it is ready to register before the bond expires.

It seems that the entire process is made easier by going through the Vermont registration process instead (you can search that one).
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
 Post Reply Post Reply