Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Modify or Not to Modify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Modify or Not to Modify
    Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 12:42pm
My daily driver is an almost original 47 2a with straight body and minimal rust. I have a 42 gpw for a future restoration and a few frames bodies drive lines etc. I also have a 4.3l with ecm and harness and an SM465 trans. I am split 50/50 about doing a trail jeep with stock engine/trans or with the 4.3l and sm465. I like the idea of wheelin with old school technology but also see the benefits of fuel injection and a low granny gear. I wanted to see your opinions and experiences. Thanks
Craig1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 1:11pm
I enjoy my modified one, but it's not for everyone . . .
-4.3 motor, MS420 trans, D18, Warn OD
-Rear D44 w/ Full Float, Front D30 w discs both 5.38 w/ lockers
-CJ5 seats
-Rear 16 Gallon fuel tank (under the bed)
-TSL 34"x9.5x15 tires

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 1:54pm
Jeep enthusiasts make up their own rules; whether it be a dirt jeep or daily driver.
I too set my own limits. My thing is Jeep and Jeep only.
I have had my fair share of standard and factory optional equipment jeeps. Have also had Trans-vintage CJ’s.
Now I’m mainly into Trans-model CJ’s utilizing the best of all that jeep ever produced (1941-1985 military and cj era)
I totally shy away from non jeep components.
But that’s just my thing.

The 134 engines are wayyyy cool !!! and are excellent off road engines. But they obviously can’t compete with some modified engines.
If your assembling things strictly from spare parts then it often
make good sense to go modified.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 2:18pm
I like seeing what I can do with what I have. Modifications I have made are minimal and mostly undetectable to the average observer. I do appreciate that 4.3 in Bam Bam when I need a tow off some way out there trail though.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 2:19pm
My threshhold has more to do with the starting point..."almost original" ? leave it alone...  the woods are full of modified salads to play driveline swap on...  They arent making anymore almost original anythings these days-

...it's an opinion...and you asked for it.

Edited by mbullism - 24 Aug. 2021 at 2:20pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 3:50pm
I'm only responding because you asked for opinions.

I would not modify a mostly complete original CJ2A.

My advice would be to start with a jeep that does not have a motor/drivetrain, or one that the motor/drivetrain is trash. I would think that you could find someone, who want's your '47 and would trade you an engine-less 2A + some cash.

I love 4.3 fuel injection too. BAM BAM is a parts jeep. No original motor or drive train was "removed" from an otherwise "stock" jeep. In fact, BAM BAM was an unfinished project. You get way more bang for your buck if you can find an unfinished project like I did.

All that said, I am not making you an offer on your jeep which gives me the right to mind my own business Good luck with your decision.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 5:12pm
Post some pictures. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:06pm
Bam Bam is definitely cool.  I will definitely leave the 47 and 42 alone. I have enough parts to build another 2a with either stock powertrain/drivetrain or go injected v6. One thing im set on is keeping a mostly stock appearance. I have a rock crawler friend pushing me one way and my nostalgic side goin the other. Either way they are fun. 
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:31pm
Build your trail rig with a v6 and the 465!   You will love it! I have a stock 2A and a restomod CJ3b.   I have fun with both but the CJ3B has a 4 speed, 32's a v6, OD, and I just added fuel injection, It's an absolute hoot to drive!  Have fun,  You have a stock one, and a '42 in the wings, time to billed one that gets up and goes! 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:56pm
1942 GPW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:59pm
1947 cj2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 9:29pm
another 47 2a. Body has been skinned. This will be the trail rig.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 9:31pm
3b with locked up 350 and othe 2a's for parts.  Another good frame and axles behind 3b

Edited by Thatdogdonthunt - 24 Aug. 2021 at 9:32pm
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 11:07pm
I would echo Jeff’s opinion. When we built Rojo (you can look it up) it was just a body and frame. We recently had a 42 GPW that had a great body and actually did start after 15 plus years sitting. It found a good home with someone that will keep it as it should be. On the other hand, Rojo is a real treat to drive with its modern drivetrain and gearing. Rojo’s “updates” are obvious to any gearhead that has been close to it. Ultimately it depends on how hard you want to wheel (and how quick you want to get there). I think pretty much all Flatties are cool to be around and wheel with. 
Fuzz
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 8:55am
If the 3b has a good frame - that might be the place to start on a trail rig.  The 3a/3b frames are stronger than the MB/2A frames.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:12pm
I believe the frame is good. It also already has a small block chevy in it, sothe 4.3 should be an easy swap. Only problem is that i am not a huge fan of the 3b's. Although before i found the other jeeps that was my plan. 
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 2:37am
I have a '47 and after looking into how difficult it is to find "good" parts for the old diffs and such, plus, having extremely bad experiences with stock brakes and steering, I decided to upgrade.  My build  will run a D-30 narrow track with disc brakes and a Power lock with 5:38 gears. The rear diff is a D-44 flanged offset with disc brakes, a power lock, and 5:38 gears. Upgraded the T-90 to a T-90C, install the 129 tooth flywheel along with the larger clutch and pressure plate. The  D-18 X-fer has the A.A Timken bearing mod. The motor will be the F-134 with a side draft carb. SO some may say I've modified the heck out of my '47  but to me, I've used nearly "all" Jeep parts and have IMO, increased my rigs safety, dependability and ease of finding parts. I will install manual Saginaw steering from a '74 CJ5 as well, with "possibly" electric assist steering  . If I don't like the F-134, I have a Buick 231 EF OR a '72 Bronco 302 sitting around. I'm not fond of FI or computerized stuff.  
Bottom line, you do what you like, enjoy the heck out of it, and post a lot of pics

Edited by jeepsterjim - 26 Aug. 2021 at 3:13am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 5:53am
I'm guilty of modifying everything I touch. The last 2A I built became a salad for sure. It's a very cool rig that ended up with some tasteful upgrades like discs all around, upgraded axles and suspension, winch and so on. I loved it. The new owner is using the heck out of it. 

That said, it was a column shift early truck. I often wonder if I should have tried to undo the Bubba and bring it back to stock, instead of the modified direction. 

Anyway - I think MB and Jpet are spot on in saying it's all about a starting point. I have another early column shift now that is numbers matching with exception of the motor. It won't be modified. The only changes I will make will be period correct options/add ons. That in itself has been a lot of fun - finding those treasures. 

Either way is fun! Your Jeep. Do what you like. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>