Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Modify or Not to Modify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 7:07am
Jeeps always fit into one of these 5 categories:

1) STANDARD meaning it is solely composed from the standard stockpile of part for a given model and vintage. Refer to the factory SERVICE STANDARDS.

2) OPTIONAL meaning is contains at least some of the factory approved special equipment or accessories for a specified Jeep model.

3) TRANS-VINTAGE meaning it is model specific but may contain parts  from another model year. Example 1945 VEC with a cane shift transmission.

4) TRANS-MODEL meaning it may contain parts from another model of Jeep. Example:Factory  CJ-5 roll bar on a CJ-2A.

5)TRANS-MAKE or TRANS-MANUFACTURED JEEP meaning it may contain GM, STUDEBAKER, or other parts. 
The sky is the limit, otherwise it’s called a PLANE !
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2021 at 11:12am
I have enjoyed all the comments.  One speaks about their "original or period correct jeep" and another talks about their fuel injected and modified one.  Being a history buff, I value period correct things to some extent.  I camp with 1940's thru 1960's gear, I hunt with traditional archery equipment, etc.  While not a purist I worry that I will regret going injected.  Any way, I enjoy the conversation and will probably go with what ever I am interested at the timeBig smile.  Thank you all for the input.  By the way have any of you ran wagoneer axles in you 2a that you may have pictures of?

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Thatdogdonthunt Thatdogdonthunt wrote:

While not a purist I worry that I will regret going injected.

You won't after any seat time, most especially in a trail rig.  No more sputtering at weird angles, no more jet changing when you change elevation several thousand feet, better throttle response, longer engine life, and better mileage. 

Frankly, I would build that 3B.  I was another that thought they were as ugly as ugly gets but after owning one for 49 years, I wouldn't have it any other way.  That extra 4 1/2" of space under the hood is extremely valuable for fitting all sorts of stuff in an otherwise really space deficient platform known as flatties.  And again, frankly, I would rebuild the 350 or find another.  Assuming you build the rest of it accordingly, that low end torque will put a big smile on your face on or off road.

But then I guess I'm just a SBC junkie from way back.  I should have my 3B back on the road in a couple of weeks.  It will be sporting an aluminum 441 SBC, McLeod twin disc clutch, Auto Gear Equipment 4 speed, "super" D18 with initially the 3.15 gear set, D44 front axle narrowed from a 78 F250 with Reid knuckles, Dutchman 4340 shafts, ARB, and Scout II spindles/disc brakes; full float rear D44 with Dutchman 4130 shafts, ARB, Jeff's 4340 spindles and the 78-81 D30 disc brakes.  It is sitting on Holbrook springs and utilizing Bilstein remote reservoir shocks.  I used a C3 Corvette sector box with a 2" diameter PSC assist cylinder.  I suspect there may be a few teething issues to sort through------
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2021 at 7:19am
Couple more things about fuel injection, (or GM TBI which I have). When you hit the gas it throttles up like a carb, but unlike a carb it doesn’t immediately throttle all the way down. (at least mine doesn’t). It’s like you let off the gas, and it drops to a higher idle for a couple seconds before it drops to a normal idle which on mine is 530 rpm. You don’t notice it on the road but it can be a little annoying on a rocky road or rock garden because you give it just a little throttle to get over something but then it wants to high idle for a second or two after you let off which can be a pain especially going down hill. In the past, I have unplugged the IAC so that it doesn’t do this but that has its own complications. I’d like to find someone who might be able to write that out of the code. Lately I just live with it and I’ve adjusted my driving technique. It’s still way worth it.

Another cool thing I’ve heard about but haven’t done yet is connect the AC wire to a switch. If you want a little higher idle, you turn the switch on which tricks the computer to think the AC is on. The computer will automatically increase the idle.

My Jeep will start and run on any angle including its side ... not sure about upside down. Still needs oil.

Edited by jpet - 28 Aug. 2021 at 7:23am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Couple more things about fuel injection, (or GM TBI which I have). When you hit the gas it throttles up like a carb, but unlike a carb it doesn’t immediately throttle all the way down. (at least mine doesn’t). It’s like you let off the gas, and it drops to a higher idle for a couple seconds before it drops to a normal idle which on mine is 530 rpm. You don’t notice it on the road but it can be a little annoying on a rocky road or rock garden because you give it just a little throttle to get over something but then it wants to high idle for a second or two after you let off which can be a pain especially going down hill. In the past, I have unplugged the IAC so that it doesn’t do this but that has its own complications. I’d like to find someone who might be able to write that out of the code. Lately I just live with it and I’ve adjusted my driving technique. It’s still way worth it.

Another cool thing I’ve heard about but haven’t done yet is connect the AC wire to a switch. If you want a little higher idle, you turn the switch on which tricks the computer to think the AC is on. The computer will automatically increase the idle.

My Jeep will start and run on any angle including its side ... not sure about upside down. Still needs oil.

My TBI is wired for the high AC idle. It's handy when winching or recovering from a long pull or giving someone a jump. Don't use it much. But it has come in handy. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 8:56pm
We’ll I’ve decided to run an injected motor. Have the mentioned 4.3 and SM 465. Also considering a 2.3/2.5 Ford. I want to run around 32” tires. Worried the horsepower of a 4.3 will end up making me swap axles. What axles are you running Jpet?
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 9:05pm
You can get by with a D25 and a tapered D44 if you don’t beat on them.
I mainly would suggest the D30 up front.
Ideally from a 1972-1975 intermediate narrow track CJ.
The center flanged rear D44 axle from the intermediate Jeep is exceptional IF you run a D20 transfer case.

Edited by oldtime - 20 Oct. 2021 at 9:12pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Thatdogdonthunt Thatdogdonthunt wrote:

...What axles are you running Jpet?
I am running a D30 up front with chromoly axles and I’m running a D44 rear 30 spline with stock axles. Before I switched to chromoly fronts, I would break at least one front axle per year.   I’ve seen Stan, Billy, and Rick run through multiple stock front axles with Lhead motors.   I’ve also seen a few rear 41s break too.

I’m not recommending anything. Just tell you what I’ve seen.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12