Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To NDT or not to NDT that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To NDT or not to NDT that is the question
    Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 1:26pm
Evan and I are refurbing our 47 CJ2a with a new body and replacing the spoked 15" wheels with 16" wheels.  We are going to be using this as our farm Jeep with a Monroe lift.  Little or no road travel.  No field plowing, but bush hogging, grader blade work and occasional discing.  The "farm" is mostly heavily wooded with steep hills.  Trail maintenance will be a first priority  

All the recent posts about tires have us wondering about the best set of tires for our needs.  We both like the looks of the NDT and they are the cheapest alternative.  Would a mud and snow tire perform better, given our situation.  NDTs with chains for mud season? 

I would be interested in hearing from those who run NDTs off road.

Thanks,
Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 2:24pm
Tractor chevrons are the ultimate mud tire.
NDT’s are very good mud tires and excellent in most all types of rock too but certainly not a good snow tread.
NDT’s tend to be the narrowest option which is a big plus with Ross steering. 
NDT’s a a good forestry design too.
But Certainly not optimum for paved road usage.

Edited by oldtime - 24 Oct. 2022 at 2:26pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 3:29pm
While I can't pick tires for you, I can say that NDTs definitely are not the cheapest.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 3:38pm
Thanks!  Just the kind of info we are looking for.  We have a small herd of Jeeps to pick from for on-road and snow conditions.

Barry
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Spinnas Spinnas wrote:

While I can't pick tires for you, I can say that NDTs definitely are not the cheapest.
We were thinking of the Deestone D501.  They appear to be our cheapest option at this point.

Barry
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 3:45pm
i would go with 7.5 - 16 tractor tires. they go very well in the mud.

i went with 7 - 16 and should have gone with the 7.5's. plenty of wheel well room.

and, contrary to some opinions, they do just fine on pavement around 45 mph. they seem a bit squirrely at very low speeds, which is not at all dangerous - low speeds.

and of course tractor tires are the only "official tire" of the American Farm! Smile

Edited by bight - 24 Oct. 2022 at 3:51pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 4:25pm
It’s been reported that the chinese deestones wear quickly.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 6:06pm

I’ve been running the Deestone 502 for about 2 years, off road only. Personally I think they do much better in snow and mud than the NDT and don’t tear the ground up quite as bad as a tractor tire.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 6:27pm

STA Super Traxion 

https://www.cokertire.com/media/catalog/product/cache/image/beff4985b56e3afdbeabfc89641a4582/s/t/sta-650-16-ndt-67640-tread.png

STA Super traxion  6:50 x16's are great. Those 502's look good as well.
I'm not a fan of the the NDT's and tractor tires are going to be super rough and get flat spots sitting, but look sweet. 

Edited by windyhill - 24 Oct. 2022 at 6:30pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 7:03pm
yes, the tractor tires can tear soft ground up pretty good. 

before i put the tractor tires on, i used NDT's and fitted them with modified chains. modified meaning several links removed so the fit was super tight. i could put them on in a garage. no, it would not be fun trying to put them on below zero in the snow. but man they worked really well. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 7:07pm
windyhill,

is the flat spot issue why when my jeep with tractor tires sits a while it gallops a bit when i first get it out? was kinda wondering about that phenomenon. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 7:14pm
i have Super Traxions on my green jeep but have not run them on my property. it has been rainy and the ground is not yet frozen so it is great for testing. i will try to get out with them tomorrow and see how they do. i also have a mud pit i can run through. the NDT's got stuck, the tractor tires plowed through nicely. will test the Super Traxions next. 

and it is not too cold yet so outside faucet still operable for wash-down.

side note: i paid $169.00 each for these this past July (2022). they are now $250.00 each. not nice. i guess no more burn outs.

Edited by bight - 24 Oct. 2022 at 9:45pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 8:09pm
Thanks for all the replies and please keep them coming.  I run R4s and turf tires on our tractors because so much of the tractor (and Jeep) work is on lawns and meadows.  I have had issues with ag tires making a mess of the yard and even muddy trails.

Barry
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2022 at 11:50pm
NDTs are pretty good in mud, especially because they can self clear better and more quickly that a more complex tread pattern like a Super Traxion. My limited experience, by observation only, is the Super Traxion type treads will pack up with mud and have a more difficult time clearing. 
That being said, I would guess the damage an NDT would do to soft turf would be a lot less than a ag tread but more than a Suoer Traxion. 
Your milage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 8:18am
Another vote for Stan to do the product destruction testing service.
Come one Stan you can kill it !
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 9:43am
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

. . .  The "farm" is mostly heavily wooded with steep hills.  Trail maintenance will be a first priority  . . .

This is how Wilson spends much of its life,   trail maintenance etc. on heavily wooded,  steep trails.   I previously had Super Traxions on it,  but in my experience -> the 7.50 NDTs with big lugs do noticeably better in all offroad situations,  especially mud.    As Stan mentioned,  the the ST would pack with mud and turn into slicks.   Not singling out that particular tire . . . I would think any similar mud/snow tread would do the same.     

Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

.  We both like the looks of the NDT 

If you already like the looks,    you would probably not go wrong with the NDTs   . .  in your description of use,  -> they will probably perform as good or better than other designs (in my opinion).
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 9:56am
NDT’s just look right on an old Flatfender
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 11:16am
I hear that NDT stands for No Damn Traction. I've got a set on my '48, hopefully they work out. But the next set will be a "mud and snow" style tread.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>