Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To NDT or not to NDT that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 11:31am
hmm. not sure where you heard that but i think many experienced users of NDT's would beg to differ.

have you seen what jpet and stan do with them? if not, lots of videos evidence posted here. check it out for proof positive.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 12:03pm
I have had a set of Deestone NDTs on my CJ2A for a couple of years, and I have a set of Power King Super traction (similar to the STAs mentioned) on my CJ5 for a year over a year. I use both Jeeps on the farm and make trips into town fairly often. I don't notice much difference in performance between the two tire types, other than the NDTs do a little better in mud, but not a whole lot better.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

NDTs are pretty good in mud...

The NDT boys are at it again. I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with that one. Just been my experience they're a slip and slide in Midwest mud.

Pretty much any soft rubber tire does just fine on the rocks. NDT's aren't that great in mud or snow (unless you heavily modify them to the point they don't quite look like a traditional NDT). For most light mud uses, they're perfect though. I love my tractor tires in all environments and never felt sketchy even with both axles being welded. There isn't a perfect answer to tires. Everything has its trade offs.

Edited by Nick_ - 25 Oct. 2022 at 12:46pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 1:47pm
Now that is some serious MUD! 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

NDTs are pretty good in mud...

The NDT boys are at it again. I'm gonna have to agree to disagree with that one. Just been my experience they're a slip and slide in Midwest mud.

There is certainly a lot of slip and slide there.  Wish there were some comparisons in that video though.   Would have been great to see similar Jeeps with ->  7.50 big lug NDTs,  mud/snow tread,  KM3's, etc.  and even tractor tires (although I would never put those ugly things on my '2A Tongue)

Not sure that type of wheeling is what the OP is looking to get tires for.   He is planning a "trail maintenance" rig.    If me,  I would never be on my trails,  when that wet.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 9:50pm
I have always felt that the current 7.50 NDTs on Wilson were better off-road than the mud/snow Super Traxions it was previously running.    Today I did a brief comparison ->  literally changing out tires and doing the same trails.   It proves (in my mind anyway) that the 7.50 big lug NDTs are clearly better (my Jeep,  my driving,  my trails).  

I will start a new thread with the details.

edit:  add link to comparison test ->  7.5 NDT vs 6.5 SuperTraxion

Edited by JeepFever - 12 Feb. 2023 at 11:40am
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:18pm
the word ugly is very subjective and solely based upon ones own tastes, knowledge, and experiences. Sleepy

Edited by bight - 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:19pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

the word ugly is very subjective and solely based upon ones own tastes, knowledge, and experiences. 

Sorry, in this case they ARE just ugly....  Tongue
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:21pm
really now?

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:21pm
Hoping this is all in good fun . .  I truly respect Nick and Bight,  but agree with dasvis.  LOL

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

really now?

Actually those "tractor tires"   do look cool in that photo.  :-)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:27pm
so it is all in fun. can't say i fully disagree LOL

but people have called the VW bug and Scion XB ugly which they are far from. in fact they are some of the greatest car designs. the Edsel - ugly. French cars - ugly. the Pontiac Aztek - really ugly. 

back to the original post now...

Edited by bight - 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:33pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:30pm
Yeah, now if those were still available......LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:45pm
and it does not get better than this here...

wouldn't yall like to get your greasy hands on one of these babys?

Edited by bight - 25 Oct. 2022 at 10:51pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 1:54am
  I'd like to offer this, from my father who was a WW2 veteran and served in Europe through fall and winter of '44 and through the end of hostilities. These are his words and not mine as I have no personal experience with the NDT tires. And I'm having to paraphrase as I don't recall his words exactly but it was something to affect this:

[ I'll never why understand why the government put so many mens lives in danger with those tires.] 

So, through the enemy fire, the frost bite, the noise, the death........he noticed how horrible, in his opinion, those tires were in mud, snow, etc. He owned several jeeps immediately after returning home from the war including a surplus GPW and a brand new '47 2A. 

Just one man's opinion. Take it or leave it. YMMV
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 8:50am
Maybe when I "re-TIRE" I'll have time to post some of the government data, tire manufacturers data, and Willys data on why they selected the tires they did. The testing was done in far more controlled conditions than depicted here.

The original AGRI-JEEP tires were Goodyear Sure Grip Grader tires that were widened 1" to add a centerline. It was the Same mold used for the CJ-1 tires, with a spacer in the mold.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 9:00am
This has been a fun and enlightening discussion.  The property where the Jeep will be (and has been used for 20 years with modern M/S tires) consists of 40 acres of hilly woods and 11 acres of prairie grass meadow and 4 acres of lawn (need to reduce that).  The woods contains trails that were the original access roads from the late 19th century (the farm was purchased by my wife's family in 1912) and trails added during logging and my own additions.  The trails serve as walking/hiking paths and access to parts of the property for gathering firewood.  I try to keep them "groomed" for easy walking and have grass to cut down on erosion where possible.  So I won't be doing any mudding like Nick.

Because the old wagon roads are so worn, they are below grade and erosion on the hills is a constant problem.  I don't drive on them when they are wet if I can help it.  When I purchased a new 40HP tractor, I went with R4 tires and replaced the smaller tractor (a '64 Cub Lo-Boy) tires with turf treads to minimize damage.  I run chains on both tractors during the winter, since both are terrible on ice and snow.  I plan to get a set of chains for the NDTs 

Thanks,
Barry 
https://www.farmjeep.com/
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 9:41am
It should be obvious that a set of Chains will cause far more damage than the most aggressive tread ever designed.
However on light jeep and frozen ground they should be fine. 
I have run a log skidder that was fully chained with cleats and the roads turn to powdered dust in a big hurry. That said they simply DO NOT SLIP. 
I would run Super Traxions if Jeep is used on road frequently … Or stick with NDT’s if strictly used on the farm. Chevron tractor tires for deep loose soil or deep mud.

Edited by oldtime - 26 Oct. 2022 at 9:46am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>