Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To NDT or not to NDT that is the question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2022 at 9:59am
Lots of good information and opinions posted and I would not argue with any of it. I use my jeeps the same way as you. My concern about erosion is the same. I’m currently running 600 and 700 NTD’s. Size definitely makes a difference with them. I have never used the 750’s but with the difference I see I would expect them to be an improvement in traction. I also run 650’s in a mud and snow which work well. For your use I doubt you would see much difference. 

One thing I felt I should bring up is the change gear ratio you will see. It is noticeable mostly between the 600 and 700 size. I like the 600’s a lot poking around the farm and on the dirt roads. I rarely run over 30 mph and can stay in third with the 600’s. I have an overdrive on the one running 700’s and have plenty of gears but it’s just nice not to have to use them. 

Just a little different look at it. 

Mike
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Maybe when I "re-TIRE" I'll have time to post some of the government data, tire manufacturers data, and Willys data on why they selected the tires they did. The testing was done in far more controlled conditions than depicted here.

The original AGRI-JEEP tires were Goodyear Sure Grip Grader tires that were widened 1" to add a centerline. It was the Same mold used for the CJ-1 tires, with a spacer in the mold.

I'm looking forward to that reporting.  I've always wondered why Willys used 7.00-15 tires instead of the standard 6.00-16 at the Nebraska tractor tests and also why not a tractor tire.  In all the post 2a introduction promotional films I've viewed only one, made in California and produced by a hydraulic lift maker, used tires that were not NDTs.

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2022 at 7:04am
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

I've always wondered why Willys used 7.00-15 tires instead of the standard 6.00-16 at the Nebraska tractor tests and also why not a tractor tire. 

Because the 7.00-15 was the same height as the 6.00-16, but the 7.00-15 was wider.
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2022 at 6:44am
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

I've always wondered why Willys used 7.00-15 tires instead of the standard 6.00-16 at the Nebraska tractor tests and also why not a tractor tire. 

Because the 7.00-15 was the same height as the 6.00-16, but the 7.00-15 was wider.

Thanks Bob!  I guess the next question is was the 15" wheel "standard" on the Farm Jeep model  or the Jeep Tractor?

Barry

https://www.farmjeep.com/
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2022 at 10:53am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

windyhill,

is the flat spot issue why when my jeep with tractor tires sits a while it gallops a bit when i first get it out? was kinda wondering about that phenomenon. 

Yep, it gets worse as tires get older and the colder it is or the longer they sit.  My dump truck rides pretty lumpy for a while till the tires heat up.  I Love the tractor tire look on a flatty by the way! 
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2023 at 1:01pm
Hi all,

As described in the video, I am not saying that AG tires or NDTs in general are better or worse, blah blah. What I am saying is that I ran Deestone 7.50-16 AG tires and STA 7.50-16 NDT tires on 6” wide wheels at 10 psi, on the same or very similar Jeep under the same conditions and these are the video results.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:01pm
Interesting. 
In the reversed chevron section showing them roll over as they pulled on a rock edge: would in that case higher tire pressure create a better grip (less/no rollover) or would  the accompanying loss of traction from higher pressure on other surfaces be too high a price to pay for climbing one specific type obstacle?

Edited by jhg - 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:04pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2023 at 11:43pm
Interesting video, looked like a real-world comparison to me. 

It might be intriguing to measure the compounds of the different tires with a durometer to compare the softness of the rubber, and to put a number on it.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 3:20am
That’s what I was thinking too. 
I highly suspect the Deestone’s are less flexible / more stiffness and quicker to wear.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 7:37am
Even when I air up, I can still flex the edges of these chevrons by hand a little bit. The lugs on the NDTs are shorter, wider, and they are supported in the middle. I think these chevrons may perform better in the rocks if they were shorter but then, they would be less effective in the mud. … I think in the end, it is simply the amount tread on the rocks. If you look at the very first picture in the video, you can clearly see that there is not much rubber touching a flat surface.   In short, the ag tires are great at doing what they were designed to do. Drive on dirt and mud.

I said it in the video, and I’ll say it again here. I don’t think that NDTs are a “great” off road tire. I run them because I think they are cool. I do think they are better than people give them credit for, off-road that is.

Edited by jpet - 30 Apr. 2023 at 7:38am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 7:59am
Hi Barry,

To answer the original question, I think these deestone ag tires would be a great solution on a farm Jeep.
1. Work great in dirt and mud
2. $125 a piece (you can’t beat that)
3. Don’t leak when running tubeless
4. Tread look period correct

I will say that if it is up hill loose dirt, you may not like them. Other tires won’make it either but they won’t plow up a mess like these do.   We have muddy ditches here in southern IL. Some spots I can’t get up with any tires but tge ag tires will dig down till you are on your skid plates.

Edit: if you want to try these tires out, you can borrow them. They are mounted on 6” wide wheels

Edited by jpet - 30 Apr. 2023 at 8:01am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 8:44am
Since I’ve started giving my opinions, I might as well keep going.

Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

…..and, contrary to some opinions, they do just fine on pavement around 45 mph. they seem a bit squirrely at very low speeds, which is not at all dangerous - low speeds….
I believe you don’t have a problem on your Jeep, but my experience is totally different. These Deestones on my Jeep are annoyingly loud when you exceed 30 mph. (On my jeep). When mounted forward, I not only hear road noise but I also hear noise in my drive train resonating. If I reverse the tread, the mechanical noises in the Jeep go away but the road noise seems to increase some. Even though the noise is annoying to me, It would be worth it on short trips in exchange for off-road performance.   That being said, Nick Oxender, or Fred Coldwell, who also run ag tires on the road, do not complain about road noise. So maybe it’s just my equipment. Still something to consider.
Quote …and of course tractor tires are the only "official tire" of the American Farm! ….

This we can agree on.

Super Traxions:

I have never run these tires but I have wheeled with many who do run them and testify that they are an improvement over NDTs off-road. I also have shot lots of video of these people demonstrating the contrary. I have never posted it out of respect.   So, let me say that I respectfully disagree and I accept the challenge to get together and make a video like the NDT AG tire video.

I’ve also heard the statement, “Don’t you think tire technology has improved over 70 years?”   My answer to that is “yes … but not as much as marketing strategies”.

Edited by jpet - 30 Apr. 2023 at 8:46am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 8:52am
NDT's have always impressed me by what they can do. That design has been there and done that for sure. 

That is part of the allure, as suggested or inferred someplace, of using a tire more or less period "correct" on our jeeps. 
The only negative I have seen running Traxions is mud loading because of the central running band chevrons being a hard surface biased design rather than off road biased. Where their performance falls vs other designs I have no personal knowledge or experience to offer so will be super interested in seeing a video like this one featuring the Traxions. 
A fun video to watch. I learned a lot.

Edited by jhg - 30 Apr. 2023 at 9:10am
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 9:10am
Good video, thanks for taking the time to change all those tires!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 9:35am
thanks jeff. as always, excellent info.

i have both sets of tires also and my experience has been similar to yours. i was always wondering why not run the chevrons backwards. i have a very soft muddy field and a road that stays wet/muddy that NDTs get stuck in ALWAYS. the AG tires, not at all. the AG tires fill the wheel wells with mud so, yes, they are good at tread clearing!

i will give changing the chevrons around to see if they change the "pull" in the mud. 

in regards to my comment previously on the AG tire on the road, it seemed that there may have been uninformed opinion that they were outright dangerous on the road. i do not drive them on highway. only rural backroads. but they do not feel unsafe at all at up to 50 mph. i am driving very conservatively. yes, they are noisy.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:37am
Strangely enough, driving them on an oil road seems to be quieter than a concrete road. Not sure why. Some people commented on the video that some farmers run the front chevrons backwards and leave the rear in the forward. I think this is mainly so they have traction when backing up.

I think that running them backwards will not tear up the property as much and might be better for driving on rocks because the tread is designed to clean the dirt out from the tread but possibly running them backwards pulls the dirt and rock into the tire which may be better. I’m still thinking about that one.

I driven the tires a 50+ mph. No fear of control but maybe feel A little better backwards. Yes, they are not DOT approved but if the DOT ever took a look at BAM BAM, I’d be in big trouble on a number of fronts.

Edited by jpet - 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:39am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 11:40am
I used to watch “Truck Night in America”. One truck ran chevrons and it didn’t seem like anything traction related slowed him down. 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 12:26pm
Good job on the comparison Jeff. 

A reminder for everyone that our friend Ron (jeeofever) has done a very similar experiment/comparison of  NDTs to Supertraxion.

Here’s the thread.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>