Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Clubs for jeeps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toledo, Ohio Club?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toledo, Ohio Club?
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 3:42pm
You would think there would be a Willys/Jeep club or organization in this vehicles home town of Toledo, Ohio. 

Edited by russnj - 19 Nov. 2006 at 6:32am
1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
ntxtrooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ntxtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2008 at 3:29am
My sister lives in Perrysburg. I will be visiting at the end of June and would to see your Jeep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2008 at 3:50am
I sold an old flatfender to a gent in Perrysburg a few years back...would 2002 be the year of the Toledo Reunion, I can't remember now.

Anyway, the older gentleman approached me at the show, we made a deal and I delivered it to Perrysburg on my way home......kinda wish I had it back.

Everyone in town seemed to know the man and his shop was one of the old buildings downtown (seems like only a couple of blocks there anyway)  It was filled with all kinds of old parts and NOS upholstery in boxes......didn't have time to looks through it, would have been fun.

Anyway, if you find out anything about it let me know, just curious if he ever got it running. He was anxious to show it off to an old buddy of his because it had a flathead Ford swapped into it in front of the original t-90.....it was a rough, black primered thing with red rattlecan painted wheels (as was the rest of it)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2008 at 1:41am

I live on the main drag in Perrysburg and would enjoy having you stop by.  Contact me when you get closer to trip time and I'll provide directions/ECT.

Regards: Rogan Murdock
1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
ntxtrooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ntxtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2008 at 3:08am
Thanks for the response. I will visiting around June 28th. I will let you know.

John

Edited by ntxtrooper - 29 Mar. 2008 at 3:08am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2008 at 3:21am
Rogan, do you happen to know the gentleman I was talking about with his shop/warehouse/oldbuilding downtown?
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2008 at 8:06pm

Chad: Sorry for the delayed responce due to Easter and business travel.  Your e-mail is driving me nuts.  I've only lived in Perrysburg for 63 years, and I thought I knew just about everyone (your right-it isn't that big of a town).    I missed the 02 Reunion and didn't have a relaps of Willys/Jeep fever until 06, ( my dad retired from Jeep and I worked their for 9 1/2 years, leaving in 1972).

People come and go in small  towns,  but I'll keep searching.  We have a 300 to 400 + car show each year on main street, and I've had the only Willys/Jeep in the show for several years.

1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2008 at 8:38pm
Chad: No, and I know most of the merchants and property owners.  If you remenber a name it would help.  This has me stumped!

1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2008 at 8:43pm
The gent I was referring to was probably in his 70's then, I would think you would know of him if he is still around. (everybody else there seemed to know who I was talking about, but I can't recall his name for anything)

The jeep was basically a parts jeep so I doubt it would show up at any shows.

You don't know of a man storing old cars in a couple of the old buildings downtown? (maybe the 'downtown' I'm talking about is throwing you off) where I delivered the jeep looked to be about two blocks of old, brick buildings......I want to say I drove in from the interstate, took a right, drove for maybe 5 miles or so (more or less) into maybe (?) a blinking light or stopsign. This is the 'town' I'm referring to.....(I do remember there was another area that could be more 'town' because I had tire trouble and he directed me to a Walmart in this 'other' area that seemed to be more built up or 'newer' so to speak.

The guy had some cars stored in one of the old two story brick buildings (I want to say it used to be the Post Office or maybe next to an old post office)

His shop (also an old storefront looking brick building) would have been directly across the street from this (he had a couple of Jeepsters in there at that time.).......It's blowing my mind that you don't know about him if you have lived there that long.

Both the building and the shop building had large garage-type doors doors that were wide open when we got there and we thought that was strange because it took us probably 30 minutes for him to appear when we delivered the jeep......and everything was wide open.

We may be talking about two different areas, I don't know......The Main Street I remember wouldn't be anywhere big enough for 300-400 cars......One other thing....coming into the stop sign/blinking light traffic light, whatever it was, if you turned left there and go about a mile or so there should be an old quonset hut/garage on I believe the right that was also his.

O.k this has got my curiosity up now.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2008 at 9:13pm

Chad:  From you description I'm sure we are thinking two separate locations.  This is becoming a real mystery.  I can usually smell Willys/Jeeps in the air, and to have the possibility of something close, and not know it, would be grounds for a heart attack!

1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2008 at 11:16pm
I know as soon as we took the Perrysburg exit, (can't remember whether we were on the Turnpike or 475, but I would guess 475) we were on a two lane going through what looked like farming country and didn't go far before taking a left off that onto an even smaller two lane.......I definately remember this as it set the tone for the rest of the 'adventure'. (we STILL refer to it as our 'Twilight Zone' episode.)

Went probably 5 miles (don't remember, could have been farther) but the best of my recollection, we didn't get off this same road till we came to the stopsign or light (whichever it was) at the 'town' I referred to.

I'm not going into the whole story again (I just wrote about a 6inch reply telling of the 'day' and when I went to post it, it disappeared into cyberspace)...I'm not surprised.....maybe I'll tell the story later........just leave it at this, it was probably the most surreal experience I have ever had......and now this, my post disappears and you don't even know of the place........looks like I'm gonna be having bad dreams again. Confused

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2008 at 1:41am
Chad:  It sounds like the trip from hell!   As for bad dreams, I've found that a couple of cold beers helps. Downtown P-Burg is only a mile to a mile and 1/2 off the I-75 (Turnpike)or the 472 exits. 

Weather here is beginning to improve, so I'll need to start working my way out off those exits to match up you description.  I'm always up for a vehicle hunt.

By the way, typing and loosing an e-mail prior to sending is one of my pet abilities also!

1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2008 at 3:27am

Just loosing that particular one made sense because that's kinda how the whole day went. If you take to exploring, I would try the first or second left (I want to say first) after you exit. It should put you on a rural two lane. Follow that for not more than 10 miles and it should put you at the four way stop at the 'town'. I'll try the story again:

Left Toledo, told the guy I would drop it off Sunday on our way out of town. (he had given me $50 with the rest on delivery, I think it was $400)

We turn left on said two lane and start calling the number on Phyl's cell phone....no answer. Tried again a couple miles down the road....got his wife. "He's not home, he's downtown at the shop"........"Yes, we are delivering the jeep"

Get to the forementioned fourway stop (twostory brick building on the right....little neighborhood market straight ahead) Turn right at the two story and look across the street...must be the place, there's a Jeepster pulled in there with the hood up. (both of these buildings have large garage-type pullup doors....both were wide open...both directly across the street from one another)

Pull up in front of the one with the Jeepster, look around, call a name, no answer.......walk across the street, same thing, no answer......(this two story was either an old post office or was next to an old post office, can't quite remember)

Anyway, wait for a minute of two in the truck....call the woman back she's says again "he's down at the shop waiting for some people"....."we are those people and we are in front of the shop, nobody's here".

She says "maybe he's down the street at the other shop, the qounset hut."   We drive about a mile down the street....nothing.

Drive back to 'town' (two blocks of it) Pull up in front of the 'shop' again. Same routine, no answer. "This has got to be it I said, there's a Jeepster here"

Phyl says "I'm going down to this market and ask if they know him" (we had a name then of course, but I can't remember it now for the life of me.....part of the 'cleansing' the aliens did that day I think)Stern%20Smile

She comes back five minutes later with a strange look on her face....."well that was a weird experience but they said we are in the right place"......(later I find out she walked in and they just kept talking like she didn't even exist...looked right at her and everything.)

Go back in both buildings and still nobody answers......I'm getting a weird vibe now.

Walk back across the street to 'the shop' and Phyl hands me the cell phone and says "call the wife again".............Call the same number I had been calling and ........you guessed it! THE PHONE IN THE SHOP STARTS RINGING! (and of course, no one answers the cell phone) Coincidence?? maybe, so I hang up and the shop phone quits ringing......at this point both of us feel like we just stepped into a FRIGGIN' STEPHEN KING NOVEL!!!

"o.K. five more minutes and we're outta here, he's losing $50 and we're taking this jeep back to Alabama"

All of a sudden when we both had our backs turned a man steps up behind us and says "so you found me"..........we both about jumped out of our skins!!

Turned around and there he was.......I know there is a logical explanation for this but it sure was weird at the time......all we wanted to do was get outta town......Unload the jeep, he pays me the $400 then right before he hands it to me says "no, I want to give it to her"

I'm thinking "just give it to one of us so we can get the hell outta here!"

Start writing out the Bill of Sale (a pre printed one) and he says "let's do this in here" gesturing toward the 'shop'.....(thoughts of baseball bats or guns raced through my head)

I said "what name do you want on it?" not moving from the sidewalk...."oh, I don't want a name or the amount on it, just date it"..........fine I'm thinking, that's even quicker.

End of business and headed out of town to the closest Walmart to get a flat on the trailer fixed.........Long story, short here is the Cherokee developed a flat too on the way to the Walmart and by the time we got everything squared away in the shade of a tree on the edge of the Walmart parking lot we were ready to never see Perrysburg again!

Later on that evening somewhere south on I-75 I realized that there is a spare from a Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting on the edge of the parking lot at Walmart........she says "oh no, do we need to go back and get it?"............"Not as long as there is ONE junkyard left in Alabama we don't"..........................What a trip! Did I say I kinda wished I had that jeep back? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not so sure now! Confused

I would kind of like to know what you find out though.....(if they let you out of town that is!)
Evil%20Smile

Edited by rocnroll - 01 Apr. 2008 at 3:35am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2008 at 2:10pm
Great Story!

By chance was his name Paul Brimm of Rudolph, Ohio?  He supposedly has two buildings full of Willys parts, and I have tried to visit him several times (both at the buildings and at his home up the road), but have never found anyone home!  Sounds like a fit.

Having lived here in the "big city" of Perrysburg: population 16,000 (+ or -) all my life, I'm still amazed at how some of these rural folks treat "outsiders".  They can  ignore you, just nod, or invite you in for dinner.  You just never know what to expect.

I've been raised with better manners.  As a good Irishman/ Scotsman, I'll also invite you to dinner, however,  bring you credit card or cash!  I'll even help you change the flat tire (more cash).

All kidding aside, don't judge Perrysburg and the people to harshly, even though you really had a weird trip.

1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
Mark Jennings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Jennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2008 at 5:04pm
 Hi Rogan, I see that you are another year younger. Happy Birthday. Mark  _popupControl();

Edited by Mark Jennings - 02 Apr. 2008 at 5:05pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2008 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by rjeep1945 rjeep1945 wrote:

All kidding aside, don't judge Perrysburg and the people to harshly, even though you really had a weird trip.

I'm not judging, it just seemed like the proverbial late night horror flick at the time.

Paul Brimm could very well be it!!! It believe it is!!Is Rudolph somewhat where I described 'town'?.....(that would explain the old Post Office building too)

Does my description of 'town' and the buildings make any sense to your tries at a visit?

O.K. you have suitably piqued my curiosity.....and maybe solved the mystery except for the fact you haven't seen 'the mystery man' himself....

Would be neat to learn if he is still around...And YES, I can vouch for the fact that ONE of the buildings is full of Willys parts....a hodge podge of sorts...stuff strewn everywhere.
Also 'movie set' like.........dim building (even in mid day) lit by bare incandesent bulbs hanging from the ceiling.

After I got over the aforementioned feeling of baseball bats or guns, I did get a tour of a backroom that was just shelves stacked with cardboard boxes full of NOS Willys interior upholstery kits (wagons, trucks, cars)......he mentioned even he didn't know what he had and that he should "take the time and go through them sometime, there might be something there somebody might want"............(gee, ya think??)

I'm glad you came up with a name....and Rudolph kinda rings a bell now too, although we always referred to it as Perrysburg it may well NOT have been......(obviously)

So now when the weather breaks a little bit and you can do a little exploring maybe we'll find a happy ending for this saga.....and the story continues...................Approve

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2008 at 1:14am
O.K. just did a Mapquest search.....Perrysburg to Rudolph....that could make sense.

The way it shows coming off 75 is the way it looks right in my memory bank.....so, although we always said Perrysburg we weren't there.

Also after Mapquesting Rudolph, I Googled Walmart Locations......there's one in Bowling Green......that makes sense too.

Would the Exit for Rudolph be one or two exits from the Perrysburg exit (wish I had my exit guide here at work with me)

Looks like we're closing in on it......Big%20smile

Guess you're gonna have to make a run down there a snap a picture of a building or two! Wink

Anyway, thanks for the help.......(I sent Phyl the link to this thread at work today and she said that was the guys name.....she recognized it from that, but she wouldn't have remembered it)

This detective work is kinda fun!!!Cool

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rjeep1945 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjeep1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2008 at 2:49am
Mark: Thanks for the e-mail.  I've decided that it's easer to just multiply, instead of adding up years.  I saw that you're selling the truck, and hope you get your asking price!  Getting about time to start on the 2A's engine, (head gasket and hopefully only a couple of sticking valves).   Got to get her running for that long awaited spring weather.

Regards to you and Sophie.

Rogan
1947 CJ2A #94871

Bantam Trailer #20203
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>