Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Took me 6 years, but I finally got one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Took me 6 years, but I finally got one
    Posted: 16 July 2022 at 4:47pm

Ever since ricco convinced me to go with pts211 in Lumpy to the FCT in 2016 I’ve grown to love the mountains, and these jeeps. I try to go every year with Jeff and Arick and ride along in Lumpy and Bam Bam. I was planning on I was planing on getting one much sooner, but life happens and we can’t always get what we want. I’ve been saving for a while, but in May I got serious. Sold some things and put the word out that I was looking. Paul found a 1948 CJ2A on facebook, so I contacted the seller and started asking questions. He happened to be in the same area of Colorado as Bruce, so I asked Bruce for a huge favor and he delivered. He met with the seller and gave it a good look over. It tub had had major work done to it, but there was very little rust and mechanically it was in good shape. It had the wrong carburetor, but it did run. I was able to talk him down a bit and he told me he was in a hurry to sell, so I borrowed a truck from a friend, rented a trailer, took some PTO, and drove down to get it.

I’ve spent the last two weeks driving it around town and it’s been a blast. I’ve pretty much taken it everywhere. I didn’t realize just how much attention these little jeeps get when driving around town. Pretty much every jeep I pass waves at me, and I’ve had quite a few people ask “What year is that?!?” especially when I have the windshield down.

I knew there were going to be issues, and driving it for 2 weeks was part of the rundown I wanted to do. I have a large parts list and a huge to do. The big things are the alternator/regulator not working, a bad wiring job, the wrong carb installed, high running temps, and an exhaust leak.

I took it over to a friends house who has a smoke machine and we connected it to the tail pipe. Smoke was coming out of the heat riser bearings (or lack of). It was also coming out of the connection between the exhaust and intake manifold. We also removed the spark plugs, and it’s his opinion that I’m running lean. Which could be entirely true and explain the overheating issues. The carburetor is a Carter YF. The alternator uses an external regulator, and was not wired correctly. After hours of tracing wires, I was able to determine that either the alternator is bad, the regulator, or both. With a list of things that need to be fixed if I’m going to Colorado in September I got to work.

I got in touch with scoutpiliot at oldjeepcarbs.com, and he agreed to giving me credit for my YF core for credit towards a rebuilt WO. So I took the carb off and shipped it out yesterday. I’m excited to see what the right carb can do. It idles super high, and I’m pretty sure I’m running lean, which a rebuilt WO carb should fix.

Next is the leaking heat riser. I was able to get the manifolds of relatively easily. Which was a shock to me. The engine has been rebuilt, but I’m not sure when. It looks like it was done a while ago, but there are only 2200 miles on the odometer. If I had to guess, I’d say someone did a ton of work, took it out a few times and then either lost interest or died… Then it sat for a decade. How else do you only have 2000 miles on a rebuilt CJ2A??? I’m ready to drive this thing everywhere. Once the manifolds were off it became quite apparent the issue. The bearings in the heat riser are shot, and the gasket between the intake and exhaust looks original. I spent today cleaning up the mating surfaces and deciding whether I should paint this exhaust manifold with high temp paint.

Speaking of the intake manifold, has anyone seen a gasket like this before? It has two metal pieces in the shape of a V coming off of it. Super interesting.

Well, that’s it for now. I also need to replace this alternator, and fix some wiring. I’ll be back to post updates.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 4:55pm
Those carb gaskets are normal.  The V is supposed to help with the atomization.  
Nice looking jeep!  You should have tons of fun with it!

Edited by Scratch - 16 July 2022 at 5:00pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2022 at 6:02pm
Congrats!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2022 at 11:14pm

I decided Sunday I was going to take it easy, but then I looked at the weather, and it the only day under 90 for the next 10 days. If I was going to paint these manifolds it would either be today or never, so I got to work. I started getting all the old engine paint and rust off the exhaust manifold. I didn’t know if it was leaded or not so I wore a respirator. Nothing is worse than a hot day and restricted breathing. I tell my kids that I’ve forgotten more than they know, and I was reminded of that when I remembered what I use to do when I worked construction. So I went and got a wet rag and put it right on top of my head. Old man air conditioning for the win. After getting the manifolds cleaned up I taped them up, and started spraying.

Today I put together my final list of parts. I decided not to mess with the gauges that need replaced in an effort to cut down on the overwhelming todo list I have. I went ahead and called in the order for everything else. Right after the call, my phone rang, and it was scout pilot wondering how I got a Carter YF carb off of a 134L engine. I sent him a few photos to verify I had an 134L and the correct manifolds. That peaked his curiosity and he inspected the YF a bit closer. Someone had modified the bolt holes to fit. He said I was probably running rich (counter to the spark plug inspection), and I should get a much better running engine with the right carb. After we sorted that out he said he’d be working on the carb and let me know when he’s done. I can’t wait.

While waiting for the gaskets to show up I decided to tackle the alternator. I always try to get things done without removing things, but my buddy always reminds me “Lazy mechanics work twice as hard”. So I got to removing the oil bath air filter and battery. Does the oil bath leak oil everywhere? Because it was pretty grimy behind, you couldn’t tell what colors the wires were, and the starter solenoid (it’s under the air filter) was caked. After cleaning it up with some brake clean (Oh, I need to go buy more brake clean tomorrow), I got it good enough to start labeling wires and removing the alternator.

The new alternator has a much smaller v notch pulley, and it didn’t line up with the belt. Well, that’s a problem… I sent a message to a group chat I have with Arick, Paul, and Andrew. I got an alert on my smart watch and I skim read “Cutoff t-shirt, fan”, and I thought oh that’s brilliant, I’ll wrap a t-shirt around the pulley next to the fan blades, and twist it tight. I even remembered I had an old piece of rubber from the “random box of things from my grandpa’s garage”. I had quick moment of silence to remember Grandpa Art, who is probably smiling down at me utilizing his random box of things, and got to work. To my surprise it worked brilliantly, that Andrew is a smart dude. With the old pulley on the new alternator I got to work installing it, but now have a new issue. It’s slightly bent sideways, and the belt is not straight. I did my best to try and take a photo. It’s either the bottom bolt is smaller than the hole it goes in, allowing it to go crooked, or the modified alternator mount is crooked. I’m hoping a larger diameter bolt will fix it, but I was HUNGRY at this point and decided to call it a night.

Funny story, later this evening I looked at my texts, and Andrew wasn’t responding to me, he was responding to Paul talking about working on their transmission this weekend. Andrews actual text “(I)will be in a cutoff t-shirt with a fan in tow” talking about how hot it’s suppose to be this weekend. I have no idea how I misread that enough to think he was talking about taking the pulley off an alternator, but HEY I’m not complaining about an effective solution!

I almost forgot!  I'm also designing a cup holder for a 32oz wide mouth Hydro Flask, using a 3d printer and magnets.  There will be 4 magnets at the bottom of the cup holder to keep it attached to the metal floor of the jeep.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e5bd27660e2b3db4099d41a7/w/32c3cc0f6a80e65b2d69e712/e/0e6467ed99fca20a8512a6d4?renderMode=0&uiState=62d62929a7b91b26fc238478

Edited by leftside - 18 July 2022 at 11:48pm
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2022 at 10:31am
T shirt and fan LOL well that worked out good!! Lol
Interested to see how your cup holder turns out Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2022 at 11:13am
I'm happy for you to be enjoying the jeep so much already. Half the fun, initially anyway, is doing just what you're doing. Learning!  You will accumulate a lot of smiles for the repairs you accomplish, and the rides that you take.  You've already experienced the attention they create, and I'm sure, answered a few questions along the way.  If you haven't already, try gassing up while sitting in the seat...always makes people look!  
At least now, your bride will always know where to find you!

BTW, when you perfect your cup holder, I'll take one!

Edited by ricco - 19 July 2022 at 11:14am
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2022 at 11:37pm

The cup holder print paused long enough to get the magnets in, and in about 12 hours was complete. I’m pretty proud of the design, the repeating hole pattern was something new for me. It fits my wife’s hydoflask perfectly, but mine has a dent in the bottom, so I’ll need to make it a bit larger. I’m debating on whether to go by some PETG filliment which is UV resistant, and will survive in the sun much longer than the PLA that I normally print with. PETG is more difficult to print with, so I’ve avoided it until now. The biggest issue I have with the cupholder is that it’s just not sticking to the bottom of the tub very well. I’m using 10mm x 4mm magnets. I did see some 25mm x 3mm magnets, but honestly it’s not that much more volume of magnet 40mm vs 75mm (EDIT: THIS IS WRONG, see RickG's post further down for the proper volume). I’ll do a bit more searching later and see if I can’t find a 25mm x 4mm magnet somewhere. I could also experiment with making the plastic between the magnet and the tub thinner, but I’m pushing just over 1.6mm and that is pretty thin already.

I’m still waiting for parts to come in and took a much better look at the winch in front of the jeep. I have 3 issues with the winch.
1) I think it looks out of place on the jeep. If I’m going to have a winch in needs to be better hidden and a cover over it when not in use. I really like the way jpet did his on Bam Bam, and I need to take a closer look at the FCT.
2) I’m overheating and this winch has a huge metal plate plus the winch blocking 40% of the radiator. One of the things I’ve learned over the years, is when you are having issues, taking it back to stock is the best way to baseline where the issue is coming from. Until I can get this think lower, it needs to go.
3) Once I started taking it apart, the overall engineering and design of the mount was subpar to say the least. This thing is beefy, it weighs at least 70 pounds, but the entire design is based on 2 bolts… Yeah it’s bad. The winch itself is mounted very high, I would say there would definitely be a downward force being applied towards the bumper, and an upward force being applied to the 2 bolts holding it in. Once I took it apart I realized that yes, only 2 bolts are holding the winch in, not what I’d call secure. The other 2 bolts are just squeezing the front of the mount to the bumper. Needless to say, if this is getting put back on it will need to be re-engineered and mounted differently.

SO Pretty!

I took the alternator back off and the first thing I noticed was that the mount was visibly crooked. I don’t have a welder, so the jeep will need to be running to fix this. I thought of some ways I could fix this. The mount holes are larger than the bolt, so I got out my calipers and started measuring. I designed a piece in onshape that would force the bolt to sit forward on one side and backwards on the other side.  The 2 pieces only took about 10 minutes to print. The theory was that I could force the alternator in straight, test all the changes I’m doing and then drive it to my friends shop for a more permanent fix.

I honestly didn’t think it was going to work, but wow, it turned out really well, the alternator is straight now, and I’m pretty sure this would survive a week at FCT if I really wanted to try my luck. :)

Once the alternator was mounted I got to work on replacing the 14 gauge wire coming off the alternator with 4 ga wire. Yes you heard that right, they wired 14 gauge wire to the alternator…

I know I said I wasn’t going to mess with the low amp wiring or dash gauges, but I just couldn’t help myself and talked to westach. M38mike recommended them, and I asked if they could make a custom voltmeter/tachometer for a 2” gauge. They can, and I’m super tempted to go for it. I really want a tachometer for the jeep, but I need to control my excitement. I’ve already got too many things on my list. Maybe this can be an incentive to finish what I need to get done so I might have time for some custom gauges.

Edited by BradR - 26 July 2022 at 12:01pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2022 at 1:45pm
  I like what you’re doing, Brad. I think you got a good starting point in that jeep with a lot of opportunities to learn. You are definitely improving it. 
  The YF carburetor uses a different carb-to-manifold gasket, and definitely will not work right with that gasket. As Scoutpilot said, it would run rich, and the accelerator pump would be about 1/2 inoperable. 
  Keep up the good work!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 12:01am
Thanks for the encouragement Bruce!  I need it!  I think if I was putting titles to these posts, I’d call this one “Overwhelmed, but having fun”.  I got to work on the heater core and found 2 reasons why it wasn’t working.  First, something had made a really nice nest inside, and second the motor wire insulation was frayed and probably grounding out.  I did a quick test and the motor fired right up, but looking at my options I decided to go ahead and replace it.  When I have more time, I’ll restore this fan motor by replacing the wire.  I found others had some luck with motor: 6551022 at Napa.  I was able to get it installed with only a few modifications.  Mainly just grinding the mounting threads down a bit.  I thought I took more photos of this process, but I don’t have any on my phone, so you’ll just have to trust me on this one.  I suppose I’m already getting tired and not documenting well.

Andrew and Paul showed up this weekend, and they quickly convinced me that we should tear out all the old wiring, it really was that bad.  My gauges are also in the wrong location, the throttle cable is missing, and the choke is in the wrong spot, and the light housing is missing.  So we got to work, and removed every single wire from the jeep.  The ignition switch is in a terrible location, it’s hard to work on, and looked like the center of a spider web, so it really is a good thing we are doing this.  I wish I had the time/money to replace every gauge on the panel.  Each one has a different font and design (which is making my brain hurt).  The fuel gauge is PLASTIC and broke when I removed it.  I found out from Bruce that they should have a black ring around them instead of chrome.  But these gauges will have to be replaced later.  For now, I’m putting the old ones back, just in the right position.

Once we had everything torn out, we put together a plan of action for replacements.  I’m doing an LED conversion, adding front signal lights where the parking lights go, adding the original design light switch instead of a chrome on/off switch, adding some fuses, and putting the choke and throttle cables were they are suppose to go.  During this entire time I also noticed Andrew constantly eyeing my previously installed winch and making comments like “Whatcha gonna do with that there winch on the ground”.  I eventually got the hint and told him he could have it, it was honestly taking up space in my garage that is quickly filling up with random Jeep stuff.  Andrew was pretty excited, he has a plan to mount it on a trailer.  I figure having a “hey you owe me one” on someone as handy as Andrew is worth it’s weight in winch.  Plus he’s going to be doing quite a bit of work helping me out electrifying my Jeep.  (plus his wires and connectors and tape and… Well ok, maybe he’s not going to owe me much of anything, but don’t tell him that)

While waiting on parts to arrive,  I switched back to the exhaust manifold heat riser.  The bushings were way to large.  I got out my calipers and determined I would need something a bit smaller than a 7/16 drill bit.  Lucky me, the hardware store had a 27/64ths.  I was able to drill out the old bushings and insert the new ones.  Then came to a stopping point when I realized I need to weld the damper to the rod.  I’ll have to take it to a friends house for that.  I’m finding a lot of this work is just “Do what you can until you can’t”.  I can’t seem to finish anything and that’s bothersome.

I didn’t get any photos at all, but I also removed the thermostat housing, drilled a 3/16th bypass hole in the new thermostat, and then put the gasket on and reinstalled the thermostat housing.  

Well, another weekend down.  Wish I could say I was closer to being done, but I’m actually further away!  It’s a bit discouraging, but I just keep reminding myself that I have time and it’s going to be a smooth running jeep when it’s all done!

BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 12:08am
I forgot to add, Paul found a serial number tag on the side of the front bumper.  Any ideas on how to clean this up and make it legible??? If I could get my original serial number that would be fantastic!

BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 12:14am
LOL, nevermind...

Wife just washed it off and used her good eyes.

How do I find out things about the serial number?
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 12:40am
This might get you some info

Mike in AZ
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 12:44am
Mike in AZ
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 6:27am
one thing that will be a huge help to you is to take an hour or so to peruse all the sections of this forum. it really helps to give you a taste of what is here and what sort of answers you can find, how to post images, etc. it is best to do that on a computer as opposed to a mobile device. and go to the home page and poke around the opening page posts. 

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 10:39am
Its red. You seem to having a hell of a lot of fun working on it. The last three of the serial number is 666. 
If you don't have a name already, I would call it Lucifer. Tongue

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 1:55pm
Brad,
  One thing I noticed when I drove your jeep - the transfer case was difficult to get into four-wheel drive and into high range, and tended to jump out of high. This appeared to be because of the shift levers hitting the floor, which was caused by the transmission/transfer being lowered. I dont know why Bubba lowered the crossmember. You might want to look at that. Yeah. Like you needed something else. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Its red. You seem to having a hell of a lot of fun working on it. The last three of the serial number is 666. 
If you don't have a name already, I would call it Lucifer. Tongue

Micah

So far we have:

Icky Thump
Meatball
Meatloaf
Rally
El Diablo

I wanted to name it Thumper because it idled high and was loud, but I was told that name is already taken.  Then I started thinking about how much it stunk when driving it (all the fumes from the leaking manifold getting past all the holes in the firewall), and thought about the name Icky Thump.  Wife likes meatball, and it's kinda catchy.  Andrew couldn't remember meatball and started calling it meatloaf.  Son likes Rally, like a rally car, and also El Diablo for the Dodge sports car.

We will see who wins.

BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2022 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

This might get you some info

thanks Michael.  Good read.  I have Fred's book.  I need to read through the rest of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>