Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tool Box Front panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool Box Front panel
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 10:11am
Am hoping someone may have an old tub laying around with the front script panel section of the toolbox intact.

The rest of my tool box is OK but the front panel has been welded on....( not sure I'll able to clean it up without disturbing the script)

Let me know what you have....thanks!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 5:17pm
  I might have something. I think I have part of a front panel that was cut out just to save the Jeep script. It’s under about a foot of snow right now and I’m actually not sure where to dig. Give me a couple of warm days and I’ll see if I can get you a pic. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 8:09pm
Sounds good Bruce, no hurry.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 8:09pm
.....bump.....
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 8:21pm
Never looked, so don't know if a CJ5 tool box has the script. If it does I have a junk 67 tub down in the field that still has a toolbox.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 8:29pm
  Embarrassed D’oh! I was just reading Willy Nilly’s thread and remembered I was gonna dig one out for ya. I think I can find it now. I’ll look tomorrow, maybe get ya a cuppla pictures. 
BW 

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 8:31pm
Two on eBay at the moment. (Not my auctions)

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Never looked, so don't know if a CJ5 tool box has the script. If it does I have a junk 67 tub down in the field that still has a toolbox.

I acquired a CJ5 toolbox several years ago,  to rob some sections from,  mostly to repair the "lid channel" of my '3A.  

Today I looked at remainder of that toolbox,  but there is no script Jeep on the front. :-(  . .  I do not know what year CJ5 this was. 

Chad,  I was hoping to send this, along with the tracing of top I have promised. Embarrassed 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2023 at 10:28pm
Neither is a big deal in my ol' retired time frame. Don't get worked up about either of them...Thanks for looking. Thumbs Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 8:25am
I went out and looked at that old tub and there is no script on the front of the toolbox. Probably a step in production Kaiser didn't continue.

Edited by Oldpappy - 24 Feb. 2023 at 8:26am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 9:33am
I thought that to be true but deleted my post till I could research it more.

Thank you for looking.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 10:04am
My early '47 has the JEEP script
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 10:59am
They all did up till the CJ5 I believe.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 3:11pm
  During the war, before CJ2-A production, even before CJ2 production, Willys-Overland Motors went to great lengths to familiarize the public with the fact that "Willys" and "Jeep" were synonymous. They could not use "Jeep" as a brand name because the U.S. Patent Office refused to patent it, saying that it was a common word that described a type of vehicle, not a name brand, therefore not able to be copyrighted. They used the word Jeep in advertisements and many places on the jeep itself. I'm sure that this script is a part of that campaign. In 1952 the Patent Office finally gave in and Patented the word "Jeep" in Willys-Overland's behalf. There was no need to put it on the CJ5 because they could put "Jeep" anywhere, and "Willys" was no longer needed. Also, Willys-Overland and Jeep were now part of Kaiser Motors. The CJ3B still carries the script "Jeep" on the toolbox, probably because that panel is shared with all the other civilian flatfenders and no need was seen to change the stamping die.
BW

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 5:10pm
That's the best, most plausible explanation I've seen. Clap

(that's why you have that badge isn't it) Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 5:22pm
do you mean trademark not "patent". one cannot patent a word. Smile

Edited by bight - 24 Feb. 2023 at 5:24pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

do you mean trademark not "patent". one cannot patent a word. Smile

That’s what the Patent Office said. 

I’ll take your word for that. I believe “patent” was used in the book I read this in. And it was the Patent Office that was involved. 
BW

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2023 at 10:29pm
it is the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

i believe inventions are patented and words are trademarked. 

also, i think the Jeep (capital J) name was a lengthy trademark battle which has been described in several well written and researched books on Jeep history and discussed on this forum. 

page 26 of Preproduction Civilian Jeeps by Fred Coldwell describes the trademark tribulations. 

and it should be a law that anyone who participates in this forum be required to have a copy of Fred's book. LOL it really is a fascinating read. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>