Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Special Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Bows (Update)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Nelebel Nelebel wrote:

Does anyone have the specs for these. I too need a set and I know if someone has made these before, they can be made again. I would love to give a try at fabricating a set if it don't involve any super high tech operations, that I know wasn't used in the day. A set of blue prints would be a great place to start.

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 2:20am
Morgan that sucks! Angry But your experience is a huge heads-up for the rest of us.
I would imagine that "member made" bows would be a great hit for us all.

1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
Nelebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 2:33am
Thanks for the info on the bows. I'll give it a try and keep you all informed on my progress.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 5:51am
The offset are some what of a son of a gun.  1 Inch offset in a 1 inch space.  I have done it manually with a torch and a hicky bender.  Some one wanted just the bend as theirs were rusted out and I did it as an experiment.  If you do it use a 1 inch steel welding stock that is what is needed.
Ed
cj2a lefty
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 5:57am

That  is a frank review. With pictoral examples to illustrate your findings. Who could argue that?

I liked the critique as much as Jeff said..... Those parts are true crap

There is so much interest in these parts someonee can and will do better. I hope it is a member here. There is more to it than one would think.  Expensive to get to the final correct finished part ready for delivery.

The jigged press idea for the dogleg has gotta be what W/O did. Then all the other features. Difficult  from what's been shown here.... but possible.  Someone with tube bending and fabrication knowledge. W/O used some oddball sizes to manufacture these bows. Really can't shortcut that if you want the correct repro. Hope some member decides to conquer these parts. (for cheap)

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 2:02pm
Well, Terry and I had just stopped for lunch - and then we read this, we were wondering why you were beating about the bush and not speaking your mind!
Seriously, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't understand why these people who make repro parts spend such a lot of time and effort producing parts that don't fit, when they could just as well get it right.
Wyo I owe you a beer, I have no bows and would be looking at buying a set .......... so thank you. Also, I hope that Carl does you a good deal when you return them.
We do need a set of drawings - so that we can at least swear at ourselves when we get it wrong!
Thanks for the entertainment ..........Wink
46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 3:50pm
Well that sounds right to me,  MD Juan is all crap.  I figure they get their fabrication skills from watching old A-Team re-runs.   Looks like their welding is  done with coat hangers and car batteries. They must be drunk all the time. the only way they can build products on an assembly line and have each one is a different size and shape.  The tool box I got looked like someone threw it across the room and then sat on it, wrapped it up real nice and put it in a box.  The seat frames were primered with their crap they call paint and then dragged across a concrete floor and  then completely wrapped in bubble wrap to keep it from getting scratched. 
What one Man can do another can do,  If Willys could make it , we can make it.
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2008 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Lomar15 Lomar15 wrote:

Looks like their welding is  done with coat hangers and car batteries. They must be drunk all the time.   The tool box I got looked like someone threw it across the room and then sat on it, wrapped it up real nice and put it in a box.  The seat frames were primered with their crap they call paint and then dragged across a concrete floor and  then completely wrapped in bubble wrap to keep it from getting scratched. 

Good one Bob.....LOLLOL

Never bought any of their crap. But all I've read about them is bad. Some still are buying their tubs though. Read it right here! Go figure.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
Nelebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2008 at 1:01am
Does anyone have the inside diameter of the bow material? also what is the radius of the bends at the center line, or inside or outside radius.
Thanks
Jim
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2008 at 1:10am
at one time trader-reed had hand drawn dimensions...if you look at sean's upper left photo, it gives you tube i.d/o.d. for the 4 vertical, and 2 horizontal bows...   pic #3 or 4, i cannot remember offhand which one, if you open it to full size, use the wall and the right side of the bow to form a right angle, and detract the radius from the measurement using the tape in the pic...low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2008 at 1:27am
One thing to notice is W/O used two different diameter tube stock. Not crimped or expanded for the cross piece coupling. Sure hope you are successful in getting these started. At first glance they look relatively simple but as you dig into it there are quite a few features to replicate. I'd think finding the correct stock would be the first hurdle.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
Nelebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2008 at 1:37am
I'm off to the shop to start on some fixtures. Monday the metal yard.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2008 at 2:40am
Good Luck. We're all pulling for you.
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Gopher4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gopher4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2008 at 4:19am
Clap Gentelmen;
GOOD NEWS:  John Bizal at MIdwest MIlitary has reproduced the CJ2A/CJ3A top bows
in both 1/2 cab and full kits. He used my NOS set as samples and they are right on.
I will meet with him on sat 3/8  to find out the  availablity dates and prices.
Second series door frames are to follow. 
I will be bringing some sets to the Willys Spring Convention for you to purchase or
just to look at.  I garentee you will not be able to tell the difference.
Canvas for the bows and the doors are available from New Life Canvas in
New Prague Minn. newlifecanvass@yahoo.com 952 758 3879
John makes a lot of parts for both Dodge and Jeep military vehicles and he doesn't
ship anything unless it,s correct.
Louie Larson
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2008 at 6:07am
Clap
Well, that's welcome news. I'm hoping they won't be more than $400, but it's kind of hard to say no when there's only one source. I'm looking forward to hearing about them. And it's great that they're American made.

'Course I may call them Monday and inquire. That whole waiting (since November last year) thing.Big%20smile
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2008 at 5:24pm
Just got off the phone with Mr. Bizal at Midwest Military. He's finishing up some of the final work on the bows. Availability should be in 3 or 4 weeks. Half or full cab sets will be available along with bows for the 2A and 3A. All 2A sets will be the later style with the handle on the doors. He hasn't had time to figure out the price yet.

Thanks for letting him use your bow set Gopher!
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2008 at 9:55pm
John makes great stuff.. His shop is what you would expect any serious panel reproduction place would be, not a bunch of imported third graders beating used tin cans into wooden molds remotely resembling jeep partsthat have been thru a demolition derby.  ( NOt that anybody does that..Tongue)
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Nelebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2008 at 1:58am
I am looking forward to getting a set of John's bows. It would not make any sense to push on with making my own. A man has to know his limitations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>