Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topeka Hiway Mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1959willysnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topeka Hiway Mower
    Posted: 29 May 2009 at 3:11am
While searching the internet I came across a post on this forum regarding Topeka Hiway Mowers.  These vehicles were built for mowing the right of ways along America's highways.  I have found early examples of these built from Model A's  to the later ones which used Continental flat head engines, T-90 transmissions, D18 transfer cases, and Dana 44 and 25 axles, i.e. Willys parts.  Since acquiring one of these several years ago I have tried to find and catalog as many owners and descriptions of these vehicles as I can.  To date, I have found eight Topeka owners.  If any members on this forum have information as to these vehicles I would like to hear from you.  I have provide links to two photos of my vehicle (yellow and partially disassembled) and those of two others.   I know of one, similar to mine that is for sale, for $1000.  My email address is mh8@sbcglobal.net.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 11:37am
Man ya learn something new every day. Thanks for posting the pics.

It appears that UC Davis has a copy of the manual. Their on-line facility allows a search of the document but does not appear to actually offer the document for on-line viewing. If you search on "Willys" it shows several occurrences within the document. Somebody living in the area might be able to scan it. UC Davis may even offer that service. Worth looking into maybe.

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt2q2nd83n&chunk.id=d0e64117&brand=oac

Larry

Edited by rocketeer - 29 May 2009 at 11:58am
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 2:46pm
Is that at all related to the empire tractor? the last pic you posted looks very "Empirish".
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

1959willysnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1959willysnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:17am
Bill,
It's is similar to an Empire tractor in that the Empire was built by Willys, but the Topeka was not.  The first generation Topeka used Ford parts and sheet metal was shaped like an Empire.  One owner provided photos where two four speed transmissions where used in tandem.  You'd have to drive a stake to see if it's moving in low-low range.

The second generation of Topeka Hiway mowers (like mine) used Willys parts such as front and rear axles, T-90 transmission, D-18 transfer case, and a four cylinder Continetal engine similar to Willys L-134. Just today someone emailed to say that one sold on Ebay ( in Wisconsin) for $500.  I contacted the seller in hopes he can provide the purchasers' contact information to add to my list of owners.
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:53am
Hard to tell from the pics, are the axles narrowed? Or are they standard Willys width?

Cool little rigs!
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
adam18830 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam18830 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 7:18pm
Anybody following these anywhere?

Adam
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2022 at 12:54pm
The Empires were not really built by Willys, they just supplied many of the parts to the company who did build them. Empires used surplus war material first, then moved onto buying from Willys. Probably a similar arrangement to what Topeka did.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
 Post Reply Post Reply