Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Distributor - engine timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Distributor - engine timing
    Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:08am
Hi again,
Purchased a new distributor for our ‘48 CJ2a and having trouble with engine timing.
I have learned distributor will fit into the engine one way only. You can’t put in backwards and the rotor will fit properly one way only.
When new distributor is installed and rotor is near #1 position and then removed; and old distributor is installed with out turning engine its rotor is near #4.
We got the Jeep running (sorta) with new distributor by putting #1 wire in #3 position 3 in 4 and 4 in 2.   
Thinking my new distributor arrived with the shaft installed backwards?  Can that happen?
Thanks
Steve
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 2:07am
With reproduction parts, anything is possible. That said, it doesn't really matter with this engine.  

Find when the #1 cylinder is close to the end of the compression stroke.  Once you find this point look to see where the rotor is pointing.  This will be where you install the #1 spark plug wire at the distributor...with the other end on the spark plug over the #1 cylinder.  Now set the rest of the wires in order 1, (already done),3,4,2...making sure you are installing them in the counter-clockwise direction on the distributor.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:34am
The cam can be installed on the shaft in the distributor in two positions
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:09pm

If my distributor cam is “backwards” can I change it myself?
If so, how do I do that? Or do I need to return this distributor and get a replacement?
Thanks
Steve

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by SNOW5022 SNOW5022 wrote:

...can I change it myself?

Yes. You can.  Assuming the reproduction is designed the same way as the original...You will need to remove the points plate.  This exposes the cam.  Remove the wick in the center.  Below it, you'll find a small wire snap ring. Remove it.  (My snap ring plier is too large.  I used a very narrow needle nose). Once this is out you will be able to pull the cam.  Turn it 180... and drop it back in.  Pull the small wire rattle spring (if there) back in front of the weight pin.  Reset the snap ring.  Reset the points plate.

Again, this effort is not really necessary.  Proper engine timing can be achieved regardless of the cam position.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 12:37am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Proper engine timing can be achieved regardless of the cam position.

I have to hook a timing light up to #4 cylinder to set timing, but it runs just fine--when it actually runs...  Cry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SNOW5022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOW5022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:31pm
I figured it out this way. ...
I loosened the screw holding the cam in place on the new distributor and jumped the cam around until the rotor pointed toward  what my service manual says is the #1 position near 5 o’clock.
Tightened  the screw. Turned engine so that mark on crank pulley was close to #1 TDC which was a guess since the timing marks and or pointer are missing. Put distributor cap on did trial and error starts/cranks rotating distributor a little bit each time until engine would start run and idle.   Brakes next.  Thanks for everyones’ help.  Steve 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 6:25pm
"marks and or pointer are missing"

Marks and pointer for the crank pulley didn't show up on these engines until later. On a 48 Jeep the timing mark is on the flywheel, and is seen through a little port with a swinging cover.

When I rebuild one of these engines I sometimes will add a pointer from a M38 A1 and make marks on the crank pulley, but they didn't come that way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply