Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyota 22R anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota 22R anyone?
    Posted: 03 June 2012 at 7:01pm
Bob3b brought this up in the "diesel anyone" thread, but I thought I'd start a new one to explore thoughts on using Toyota's gasoline powered 22R 4-cyl engine and associated tranny and t-case. Aside from the shouts of sacrelige for using a Japonese engine, do folks have any constructive thoughts on this? I've had two Toyota 4X4 trucks with this engine and thought they were fantastic. Unfortunately so did some scumbags, as both the 85 pickup and 88 four runner were stolen from in front of our house.

I'm curious if anybody has attempted to mate the Toyota 4X4 truck chassis and drive train with a CJ2A or 3A body.

Edited by sibaropsis - 03 June 2012 at 7:05pm
Steve
hawkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 9:47pm
No sorry
cj2a 1948 155822 v6 sold

cj3a 1950 3J45548 4L MB
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 9:51pm

I havent attempted it (yet), but the tape measure says the driveshaft is too short.....of course you could probably buy one of those high angle drivelines but i think it will vibrate too much. I have an entire truck i could swap all the stuff from but Im going 2.3L turbo ford motor mated to C4 and Dana 20 or dana 300.....I might still use Toyota axles though, they are narrow and pretty stout in stock form.
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:45pm
Seems like there was a guy in Canada who put a whole toyota drivetain in a flatfender a few years back, I think it was in some of the magazines. Look around on some wheeling sites and you might find some info. To me it looks like the 22r would be too tall to fit under the hood though. With the overhead valves and cam, its a good bit taller than the l head.  
I'm a toyota fan too, its where my user name comes from. I've always wanted to build a flatty with a set of toy axles, but it might be easier to just set the body down on a toyota frame, as i'd want to do the dual case thing too.
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 4:05pm

If you were gonna do dual cases it would be to long for the stock wheelbase of the willys.

One other thing to consider would be, the tcases are also tall so some tub modifications would be required.

As far as the engine it will fit pretty damn good Ive seen a willys with a carb 22r and it almost looked like it was made for it. He removed the motor mounts off the frame and installed them on the willys frame and he said it was very easy to fab up. The front springs and rear springs are almost the right spring pad offset, they vary 1/4-3/8" from bolting up.

Edited by Dez - 06 June 2012 at 4:20pm
rustyjeep21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyjeep21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:19am
ITd be practical to do a 4.7 low range in the t case. and ive seen flattys on toy axles they work well.
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:49am
there was someone on the ecj5 site that used toyo axles..
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
tymbom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tymbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 5:57pm
If you put a SM-465 or 420 between the engine and transfer case it would work. The 5 speed Toyota transmission is too long. OTT in Canada makes the adapters you need.
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 6:27pm

The 22r fits amazingly well, you could even put the toyota radiator in the same place as the stock one. and the motor mounts are in the same exact location as the willys motor as well, It looks like a couple of holes drilled it would bolt in.
Trawler Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trawler Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2012 at 7:41pm
I built then sold a M38 using a Suzuki Samurai frame and all Toyota running gear including a 20R. The engine felt perfect to me but I only got to drive it for a couple weeks before selling.In the 1st gen Toyotas one year had a short 5 speed, not their strongest trans but it can be beefed up. This gave me the room I needed, The Jeep was stock wb with 35's.

sibaropsis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sibaropsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2012 at 5:44am
Trawler, got any photos of that M38 build you can post?
Steve
Trawler Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trawler Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2012 at 1:55pm
I have a handfull of pictures, I lost a hard drive so only the ones from photobucket are left. I did a build thread on earlycj5  http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/showthread.php?53264-Project-quot-Bruce-quot-or-quot-Luv-it-or-hate-it-quot-M-38
Here are a couple near the end, I still had plenty I wanted to do to it.

Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2012 at 8:17pm
Dang, That makes me want to stop with my custom frame and just use the sammy frame i have laying around!!
Greenie51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 9:38pm
It is possible. It was a pain in the butt, but the m38 now has a 20r. It took a home made adapter plate made out of 5/8” plate cut with oxy-propane. The plate requires the bolts to be counter sunk to keep the bolt heads flush with the plate. This took three days to get it lined up right. Engine in, engine out are a common sequence of events when doing this. Toyota bell housing, pressure plate, flywheel, and a pilot bearing sourced using a dial caliper to measure the input shaft of the t-90 and the crank of the Toyota. Clutch linkage from the m38 is used, being that it pivots on the original pivot ball on the input shaft bearing retainer, and does not get touched, but an incision must be made in the bell housing as the Toyota’s is on the opposing side. Clutch friction disk from the m38 is an almost perfect fit for the Toyota flywheel/pressure plate combo. Fire wall needs an incision to allow for the engine to slide back far enough on the input shaft. The only thing so far that is slightly irreversible are the extensions welded to the original motor mounts. Yes it is an original m38, but I have saved the original engine, which is in working order, and replaced it with an engine that lasts ten times longer.
Greenie51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 9:48pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 1:42am
Greenie51, First, Welcome aboard!

Second, I like this idea. Do you have more pictures? The engine mount extensions would be interesting to see. May we ASSuME that the transmission / transfer case mounts are stock?

Did you change the steering box? Is the engine still offset to the left of the rig?

Enough questions for now. Thanks and again welcome to the madness, Cpt Logger.
 Post Reply Post Reply