Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trail Wheeling 70 year old Jeeps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trail Wheeling 70 year old Jeeps
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:48pm

VINTAGE WILLYS: Trail Wheeling 70-Year-Old Flat Fender Jeeps | Nicole Johnson's Detour EP5

This is a pretty cool Youtube - from yesterday.

Perhaps some of these folks are on the Cj2a Page
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:52pm
I watched it; what was the deal with the "cheater tires" ?
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:52pm
Hard to watch folks beat the crap out of their Jeep for no reason. 
Sad there is no one present to help them/show them how to drive it properly.
That feathering of the clutch......the damn Jeep would make it up if you'd leave the clutch pedal alone.

1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:57pm
I saw some folks that could really benefit from watching the rock crawling videos right here on the 2a page. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:06pm
Such a neat video. Whoever edited this did a great job with all the different camera angles, interviews, and technical info.

Looks like a difficult trail for stock-ish Jeeps (and especially gearing).
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:09pm
  Technical info? Everything they said was wrong. What I see is the usual crop of experts who don’t have a clue as to the facts. 
  Heard here a lot: “It’s your jeep, do what you want.” If they want to beat the hell out of their jeeps, that’s up to them. None of mine will see that kind of abuse as long as I’m alive. That’s MY choice. I use them pretty hard sometimes, but nothing like that. There’s use and then there’s abuse. 
  My $.20 worth (adjusted for inflation). BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:49pm
Yeah that video is interesting but it just goes to show one needs to be very careful where they get their facts from.
In the first place the jeeps are not powered by motors.
They are engines. 
In the second place these cj2a’s have absolutely nothing in common with Kaiser/ Frazer automobiles.
W/0 was not sold to Kaiser before 1953 at which time it became known as Willys Motors. 
In late 1963 they name was simply changed to Kaiser Jeep Corporation which was prior to the 3/1970 buyout by AMC.

They may be able to handle a lot of hard use but they were never designed for the rock bashing as is seen in the video.
Rock crawling was NEVER intended prior to the installation of the the T98-A in the 1956 cj-5.
The optional equipped 1956 cj-5 was the very first jeep ever to be capable of true crawling.
Rock bashing is far more abusive than rock crawling.

And for those who may be uncertain “feathering the clutch” also implies burning of the driven disk and the flywheel face.

Edited by oldtime - 11 May 2021 at 10:07pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:52pm
I made it to the "feathering clutch"......did I miss anything after that? Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:18pm
Tough crowd. 
I really enjoyed this video and would have loved to be on this run. 
“Cheater tires” is a reference to the Go Devil Run organized by Ian Liljeblad of Big Willy fame. The crowd in this video is much of the same crowd that participates in the Go Devil Run. Ian has made a few rules for the run. Go Devil Engines, no radial tires or tires over 31 inches, period correct clothes and mods. Anything else is “cheater.”
I have to admit, “beating” my rig is a lot of fun and bashing a few rocks is part of it. What these guys were doing seemed pretty tame to me. 
As always, your milage may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:30am
Stan, I hesitate to say it, but your behavior on the rocks has gone on so long you are grandfathered in.

The Jeep Police frown on the type of behavior seen in the video.
I found if I watched it without the sound turned down it was OK.

The whole "Kaiser Supersonic" reference  gets me every time. Just mill down your original head and you get the same result.

That particular group also does more than flatfenders I think? They approached a tire company regarding Bias Belted 31" Goodyear Tracker A/T tires. Keep your eyes open at the Color Tour. I hear you might see some.

Edited by Joe Friday - 12 May 2021 at 10:52am
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Stan, I hesitate to say it, but your behavior on the rocks has gone on so long you are grandfathered in.

The Jeep Police frown on the type of behavior seen in the video.
I found if I watched it without the sound turned on it was OK.

The whole "Kaiser Supersonic" reference  gets me every time. Just mill down your original head and you get the same result.

That particular group also does more than flatfenders I think? They approached a tire company regarding Bias Belted 31" Goodyear Tracker A/T tires. Keep your eyes open at the Color Tour. I hear you might see some.

Nicole Johnson is pretty legit. She competed professionally in rock crawling. We competed against her a few times when I was a spotter years back. She's done KOH a time or two if I'm not mistaken and had a stint as a Monster Jam driver. So yeah - doesn't surprise me that group would approach Goodyear. 

I haven't watched the video yet. But will this morning. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:26am
 I watched it clear through and seen a group of people having a great time and sharing it with others.  I wouldn't put my jeep through what they put theirs through or what several fellows on here put theirs through, but I still enjoy being part of them and enjoying the ride.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:57am
I'm all about it.  Sounds like a good time to me.  
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:59am
Looks like a Whole lot of Freedom going on!

Vintage clothing, Old Jeeps (that these people put lots of effort into to keep running and uses as they see fit), People enjoying themselves without a lock down.  I am in. 

We are Wheeling the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway in two weeks.  Might add the vintage look just to get this going in the East!  

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:25am
Lots of interesting comments here. I also love when people get worked up about verbage. Most of the Jeeps in this video were found left to rot away and were brought back to life again. As many have say, it's your Jeep, do what you want. And yes, Stan needs to come wheel in AZ. For those saying people need to learn how to wheel, I invite you to go run that trail in a modified modern Jeep and see how you do. I wasn't on this run, but I've wheeled that trail in a stock Jeep and in a tube buggy. As Stan says, your mileage may vary. Cheers.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:57am
I thought the vintage clothing  aspect kind of added to it....especially if it had been shot in black and white.

But didn't Lee take some flak for starting this trend a few years back at one of the (was it) Fall Color rides a couple years back? LOLWink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:09am
Man, I'm glad nobody posted a video of the Friday Flat Fender Fun Run.....LOL

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Bcrofts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bcrofts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:13am
I think it’s a cool video! Show that people are still out enjoying these old jeeps. I would rather use a jeep like this than have a stencil jeep. I encourage anyone and everyone to come out a off-road with this group. These guys do 300 miles in a few days all Offroad. 

Oh this should hurt a few feelings that Luzon red 2a that Nicole is driving has original factory paint and only 21,000 original document miles. Enjoy what you have don’t be mad you don’t have the skill or desire to use your jeep. And remember it’s not yours!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>