Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trailer for hauling mt CJ, as well as other things
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer for hauling mt CJ, as well as other things

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer for hauling mt CJ, as well as other things
    Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 10:20pm
Ok, So when I bought my Willys, I had to tow it home. I didn't have a trailer so I had to borrow one. Nobody I knew had a trailer that I would trust to tow a car, so I had to rent one. When I got to U-Haul, they wouldn't rent to me because I was towing with a jeep that had a soft top. Who knew..

I had to borrow a friend pickup truck to rent the trailer to tow my Willys to get it home... Sound like a Dr Seus book.

So I set out looking for a trailer. I came across a British MOSKIT trailer. It contains a mobile airport landing lights. Its Helicopter'd in and set up in different configurations. The USMC has been using them since the 90's in Desert Shield etc. I picked it up near McGuire Air Force Base in NJ

So for $500, I got this. Without all the cool stuff inside.

Pretty cool huh. My two sons and I spent the afternoon taking out all the stainless bolts and screws. Man there was a lot of them. But they are all stainless...

The bed is only 57 wide X 104 long. And it sits abour 30" high off the ground. To make it work for me, I found the same rims and tires that were on my jeep on Ebay. Then I figured a tandem axle set up would be great. So I ordered two #3,500 axles, 4 springs, and everything I needed for a tandem axle setup from Southwest Wheel. It was cheaper to buy them and ship them to me than the trailer places in NJ. Go figure.

First problem... The hubs on the trailer axles stick out way to far to fit the jeep rims on. I didn't think about that. After some research, I found a solution. I had to order 2" wheel spacers to get teh rims to fit. Here is one axle with the jeep rims on, and one without. I kept all the sheet metal so I can make fenders out of it before I scrap the rest. Actually, the metal it thick. I'm not sure what gauge it is, but its way thicker than I expected. Maybe I should keep as much of it as I can. You never know when it might come in handy...

Im trying to find a welder near me that can extend the bed about 16" and make "wings" to widen the bed to about 75" or so. Anyone know of a welder in NJ that can help???

I was looking a Harbor Freight's wenches. Does anyone have opinions about them? I know its Harbor Freight, but I wont be using it too much.

I will post when I make some progress on the trailer. Stay Tuned...
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 10:47pm
I've got the cheapest camo 3000 lb winch from them. It works fine slow but fine. I only use it on my atv though. The bigger ones are better and if you want you can just get a hand powered crank one.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 11:01pm
I wanted an electric one because sometimes I pick up logs to take to my friends wood mill, and they weigh a lot. Thats one reason that Im overbuilding this trailer. The last log I picked up ended up weighing over #6,000. I didnt know that until I got it to my friends house and he tried picking up up with his tractor. Gotta love white oak.
I know Harbor Freight is the bottom of the barrel, but the price is right, and Im not going to use it very often.

1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2013 at 11:33pm
You should be fine just buy the extended warranty for it.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 4:13am
Its been a few months since I posted about my trailer. The weather is finally nice enough, and I finally have had some time and energy to work on it.
I cut off the old suspension, forklift guides, and any other BS that was on the underside of the trailer. I welded the extension on the back of the trailer, making it about 10'2" long. I will probably leave the 2x12's a little longer than the bed.

Then the fun part. Since I am towing with a 2004 unlimited I wanted the tongue weight to be correct, which I figured should be about 10% of the loaded trailer. So I set out to have a tongue weight of about 250# or so.

To do this, I got 2 4x4's and put them where I thought it would give me the proper weight. Then I loaded up the Willys, got a bathroom scale, and took a reading.

First, I put it where the trailer told me to...

But the tongue weight was a little too light so I had to move it back about 5".

In the end, I had an empty tongue weight of 62 lbs, and a loaded weight of 102. That's without the wench, not even a third of the decking, and toolbox, spare tire etc. I will probably move it back an inch or two to give me a little more tongue weight but I think I was really close.

Anything else I am forgetting or not thinking of? I am hoping to weld it tomorrow. Its supposed to start raining again Thursday night.

1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 1:59pm
You are still using both axles, right? You can afford to move them back a wee bit as the front axle takes some tongue weight....
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 2:02pm
I think it was m38 that told me the rule of thumb for center of gravity on the jeep is the trans shifter.   that helps me out a lot .   looks like you have reconfirmed that.

What tie down system will you use for your jeep?

Edited by willys54wagon - 05 June 2013 at 2:07pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 4:58pm
F-Bill,
I was thinking about moving it back an inch or too just to be safe. And I was wondering what the dual axles with the equalizer will do to the weight distribution. I don't want to have to deal with the tongue being too lite. I also still have to mount the wench, battery, and all that stuff on the front. That will add more weight.

54 wagon, It looks like the center of gravity is right under the trans crossmember. The trailer weight might be throwing that off a little, but its close.

I have a set of tire bonnets from southwest wheel. However, in the pic on their website the ends are hooks, and when I got them, the ends are about a 4" long bent angle hook. I'm not sure how I'm going to get them to work, but I will.

I also have 10- 2,000# recessed D-rings that I am going to sink into the decking. That should give me plenty of hook up points for whatever I am hauling.
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 5:26pm
We have a couple of wenches that work at our Harbor Freight store but they are nice ladies once you get to know them.  One of them showed me a winch that was on sale.

You can make your own custom fenders with some sheet metal or aluminum plate if you can get acces to a brake.  I made these out of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate.  I did not have an aluminum welder so the mitered corners are just pop-riveted to a small backing plate.

Edited by ralf - 05 June 2013 at 5:32pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 5:49pm
That short a trailer with the dual axles will be pretty much self supporting. If you want tp make sure you don't mess up, mount all the springs to a large piece of angle that you can slide back and forth along the frame rail, then weld when you get it to where it works with the jeep on it. 

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 6:10pm
Ralf you're killing me. I went to Harbor Freight and could not find any decent looking wenches at all. Non that I would let adorn my trailer.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 6:12pm
I do not think you need an equalizer hitch unless you are going to tow with a very light vehicle. I use one when towing my 24' Airstream, but not when towing my 3500 lb. fishing boat.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:40pm
Ralph,
I have plenty of sheet metal left over from taking the trailer apart. Look at the first pic in the post, I have all those doors, dividers etc.

I don't have a break, but I figured I could cut the pieces and weld them to whatever angle I need. I have plenty of metal to experiment with.

And yes, there are a couple of cute wenches at the HF near me... lol

1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:44pm
F-Bill,
I was thinking about doing that, but I don't want to spend more time/money on the trailer. I would have to drive 1/2 hour each way to pick up the metal.

That's why I balanced the trailer with the load. I am planning on moving the center shackle back a few inches, and if I need more tongue weight I can load more towards the front, but I don't think I will have a problem.
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:54pm
Mike S
I don't have an equalizer tongue. I have a pintle. The equalizer I was talking about is a tandem axle equalizer. Its purpose is to make sure both axles share the weight even if the trailer is improperly loaded.

Here is a pic of the kit
The equalizers are on the top right, the weird triangle things.

1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:15pm
If you don't want the extra metal or expense, you can always just weld it together the way you plan, and try it out ....What is welded can always be unwelded (torched or cut off) and moved if needed, but I don't think you'll need to.

njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:19pm
F bill,
I was thinking about tacking it enough to try it out. You are right, I can remove the welds and try again. Or worst case scenario, I can order another hanger kit if I mess it up too much.

1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 8:26pm
The two formulas I see online are place the centerline of the axles at the 60/40 point of the cargo area, and another one that says to put it an inch beyond the centerline of the deck for every foot of length of the trailer. You'll have to modify that some for the front weight bias of the jeep and your actual loading position on the deck.

Google proper axle placement for trailer and you'll have plenty to read.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>