Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trailer ramps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer ramps
    Posted: 15 Mar. 2014 at 12:38am
I've finally picked up a tandem trailer to haul my 3B and 2a to destinations that are further than I feel confident driving them or flat towing them. Unfortunately, it did not come with ramps.
I plan to ask for some heavy duty ramps for a birthday present in a couple of months. In the meantime though, I have a set of 2 by 12s with the aluminum ends that I've used for loading ATVs. The aluminum ends are rated at 750 pounds each.
Any opinions on whether or not these could be used to safely load them?
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2014 at 12:51am
I think that the ramps would be marginal at best.   My guess is that the front end of these older Jeeps is close to the rated limit of those ramp ends, and the left side has more than half the weight.  I have no idea how sturdy the 2 x 12s are.

When you do buy commercial ramps for the trailer, I recommend aluminum ramps because heavy steel ramps will get to be a drag lifting and stowing them.

Edited by samcj2a - 15 Mar. 2014 at 12:54am
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2014 at 1:01am
The set I'm looking at are aluminum and rated at 2500 pounds per axle. I think they only weigh about 18 pounds each.
I'm just considering what I could make work until the first of July, but don't want to tear anything up should a ramp fail.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2014 at 5:33am

I screwed 2x3 to the bottom of the 2x12 for "bridging" and use them with confidence,   didn't see much flex on them.   Mine are 8 foot long.  get good 2x12 with no knots.

saw a nice set of alum ramps at the rental place but when I inquired to price the stiffy went away............

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2014 at 1:30pm
My flatbed has boards as a floor.  There is some bracing underneath so I suspect that adding bracing, as mentioned, would make the 2 x 12's very doable.

My trailer also came with the heavy steel ramps.  Inverted and placed crossways on the floor in front of the tires just before the jeep is in place (roll over the ramps into position) create nice wheel chocks that work well with the tiedown straps.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply