Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailering a jeep...which way and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2022 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 67charger 67charger wrote:

No straps, I usually just put the parking brake on and put it in reverse "I stop faster than accelerate".  If you haul the jeep that way you will always be on top of your game.

Uh, er.  Well, you will only have an issue with it one time, most likely…
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2022 at 1:23pm
I guess sarcasm is lost in the internet, haha.  When I trailer my jeep I drive it on forward until the truck and trailer are almost level with each other.  I then apply the parking brake and use two straps up front with axle straps and one in the back around the rear axle housing.  I keep the windshield down with a strap like everybody else.

This is with a 20 foot trailer and 3/4 ton truck.

Edited by 67charger - 06 Feb. 2022 at 1:25pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2022 at 1:52pm
yeah 67charger you may have had some of us concerned about following behind you LOL!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 7:21am
I have a been towing with the same setup for a decade.  But I now have a new trailer and new tow rig so need to find my loading sweet spot and mark it again.  I have a 265 lb bumper weight and  a Newgren lift with a 400-500 Ilb plow hanging off the rear.  I have used 4 corner straps around the frame.  I also lower the plow and put a strap across it.

I wanted a smaller truck than the F150 and really wanted a Jeep hauling a Jeep so purchased a Gladiator with the highest tow capacity.  It handled my 18' steel/wood deck trailer without any issues.

But I wanted a lighter trailer to go with the lower towing capacity, so purchased the SureTrac last fall.  I haven't load the Jeep yet,  I'm thinking that I should be able to load in the same fashion, since the Jeep weight hasn't changed.  I am considering moving from straps over the frame to axle straps.  I used D rings on the side rails to attach the straps.  This trailer has rings in the floor so I'm assuming I should use those, but would welcome some advice.

One final question.  Has anyone used a commercial truck stop scale to weigh their rig?  I've wanted to do so, but could never figure out how the process works.  
Barry

https://www.farmjeep.com/
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 7:47am
 Oops

Edited by jeeper50 - 07 Feb. 2022 at 8:04am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 7:57am
  Looks like you bought a dedicated car hauler.  Not trying to be a smart *** but those D-rings are there for a reason and so are the side rails but they have different purposes.  Did your trailer come with a "users/owners manual"?  If it did I bet it has your questions answered, if it didn't you may want to contact the manufacturer for one. 

Edited by wfopete - 07 Feb. 2022 at 8:42am
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 8:34am
Good Morning lhfarmbt:

I am sure the folks at the commercial truck stops would help walk you through the process of using their scales.  However, there might be a local source that would help you out. 

Do you have a local scrap yard in the area -- people who buy aluminum and steel?  If so, you might want to check with them.  Most of them are sort of used to dealing with smaller rigs.  The guy we have around here would weigh your pickup inbound, send you down to either unload your self or have his guys assist, weigh you then on the way out and pay you for the difference.  When we went on the 2012 MVPA Alcan convoy I had him give me weigh our rig, fully loaded, as we were headed down the road to Dawson Creek, BC and got a certified weight ticket from him.

There may also be other sources of scales used around your local area -- any operation that buys and sells on a weight basis.

Just some ideas.

Regards,

Walter

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 9:05am
Grain elevators...Most don't mind doing weights on small rigs, just don't ask during harvest when they are really busy.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 9:46am
Originally posted by wfopete wfopete wrote:

Looks like you bought a dedicated car hauler.  Not trying to be a smart *** but those D-rings are there for a reason and so are the side rails but they have different purposes.  Did your trailer come with a "users/owners manual"?  If it did I bet it has your questions answered, if it didn't you may want to contact the manufacturer for one. 
Attached is the entire manual on securing cargo - 

I should have used the term stake pockets instead of rails.  I have relied on my friends at TractorByNet for trailering advice since my Jeep is more "tractor like".  They are all about following code and safety.  I learned to lower and strap any implement from them.

I was looking advice on securing by axle straps vs frame and didn't make that clear.
Barry

https://www.farmjeep.com/
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 10:00am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Grain elevators...Most don't mind doing weights on small rigs, just don't ask during harvest when they are really busy.

This is a Kansas answer for sure. I was thinking the same thing. I can drive 5-10 miles from my house in any direction and have access to a scale free of charge. I usually go after hours just so I don't disturb any real work going on. All of my local elevators leave their scales on 24-7 so no one needs to be there to use it as long as you don't want a scale ticket printed out.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 10:24am
If you strap down from frame you get the bounce of your suspension when hitting bumps, etc.   Versus no bounce of suspension when strapping to axles, just bounce from your tires
Mike in AZ
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 10:27am
Ha! Looks like it was wrtten by lawyers (in shorthand).  

Edited by wfopete - 07 Feb. 2022 at 1:14pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 11:24am
I haul many flat fender jeeps, typically a weekly or more event. Typically I load them front first by way of a harbor freight winch and a J hook. On the rear I have a J hook with a short piece of chain that I run thought the ramps then to a center D ring. I don’t believe it’s legal but I have done probably 150,000 plus miles like this. If I have to use my big trailer then it’s all about weight on tongue. 
Jay  
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 12:41pm
My towing sweet spot varies and without going to a scale to check seperate axle weights, I check several indicators for load balance like tongue hieght and trailer fender clearance.  I've loaded this 2A frontward and backwards doesn't seem to make much differance I just move it front/back to get the right weight distribution.  I run short axle straps (around both axles) with a binder going to a D-Ring that is attached to the trailer frame.  On shorter low speed trips I may just use logging chain aroound the front bumper and the rear hitchball going to the stake pockets with binders.  Trailer weight is 1850 lbs. with 7500 lbs. axle (combined) and has E Brakes.  The Transit is a 350HD Eco boost with dual rear wheels and a 10,000 lbs. GVWR.  I've seen folks pull in off the highway with jeeps securely strapped down but on scary trailers with under inflated tires or tires that should have been replaced a long time ago.   Kinda reminds me of those Allstate mahiam ads.

Edited by wfopete - 07 Feb. 2022 at 12:54pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 1:01pm
  Edit 
Moved this to Custom Jeep hauler/trailer Post

Edited by WeeWilly - 07 Feb. 2022 at 1:58pm
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2022 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by lhfarmbt lhfarmbt wrote:

...I am considering moving from straps over the frame to axle straps.  I used D rings on the side rails to attach the straps.  This trailer has rings in the floor so I'm assuming I should use those, but would welcome some advice.

One final question.  Has anyone used a commercial truck stop scale to weigh their rig?  I've wanted to do so, but could never figure out how the process works. ... 
Barry

I also use axle straps and attach the hold-down straps to those.  I then criss-cross the straps and attach to the sides of the trailer (bed of the trailer is wood).

I went to a truck stop 'cause I was curious.  Had to go in and get in line with all the truckers and then ask all the questions on how to.  They didn't seem to care who it was or what you wanted weighed.  They told me to drive on with the trailer to get weighed.  Then drive off, unhook the trailer and drive back on (apparently, they had a camera on the scale to see when I was on/off).  The tow vehicle was subtracted from the total and that's how I got my trailer weight.  I seem to recall paying somewhere near $20.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 3:58pm
I think the position of your jeep depends entirely on your towing vehicle and trailer.  

FYI - you can get a great deal on equipment trailers on sites like Ritchie Bros Auctions.  

Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2022 at 8:56pm
Macs Tie Downs gives a lot of good advice on trailering. I thought crossing the straps would be a good idea... it isn't. Also thought strapping the body down would be good. It isn't. I'd like to fit my trailer to use wheel net tie downs but would have to get new hooks. Maybe one of the tracks to accommodate different wheel bases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>