Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer case rear bearing cap sealing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer case rear bearing cap sealing
    Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 1:10am
Hi folks.  I just removed the rear bearing cap from my transfer case (cj2a).  I'm replacing the seal due to a bad leak but I also appear to have oil leaking from the joint between the cap and the transfer case.   There are a couple of shims in there but all metal to metal joints.
Is there a recommended way to seal this stack of joints or am I missing something?
Thanks for any guidance - Steve

47 CJ2A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 1:27am
Clean each shim well, then spray with copper coat sealer on both sides.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 5:02am
Need to seal the bolt threads in the case. Also I put a little sealer on the OD of the seal.
swampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:09am
I would recommend anaerobic sealer.
CJ2A 1948
YJ sbc fi 37 pit bulls 1987
Jt Rubi 2020
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 12:35pm
Check out part 8 of my Dana 18 rebuild series. I discuss shimming and use of sealers.

SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 1:22pm
Perfect. Thanks for the help.....It'll never leak again 😇
47 CJ2A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by SteveBonny SteveBonny wrote:

Now there is a REAL optimist!!!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by SteveBonny SteveBonny wrote:

Now there is a REAL optimist!!!

Ain't that the truth. It took me three tries.

Are you replacing the output flange?

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 6:05pm
Yeah I put a new one on and about 3 lbs of permatex
47 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 7:36pm
Back together and filling with oil as we speak.  Here is a hot tip for filling with awkwardly located fill plug locations.....
Also handy for bleeding the brakes on your cj.
It's fairly slow with gear oil so I just put my best guess at the fill quantity in the bottle, pump it up and leave it to fill while I tidy up tools, go for lunch etc.

47 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 12:11am
I'm gonna call this a success, thanks for the help.   I've been commuting to work the last 2 days and ran around a few miles at the w/e (about 50 miles total) and I only have a drip or 2 of fresh oil on the floor....... rather than a pint a week.  The new drips aren't coming from the rear seal area either, looks like rear engine seal and somewhere on the gear box.

I used a new seal and output flange.  There was also a gasket under the seal that I replaced and put in with permatex.  Permatex under the head of the bolts that hold the brake backplate on. These also had copper washers which I reused. Gold seal sprayed on the shims both sides.   I did seal the yoke splines with permatex too although I don't think this was a part of the issue as it would have to leak out at the driveshaft joint which was dry.  Permatex on the fill and drain plugs.
The old seal was a bear to get out and the rubber was hard and crumbly - maybe original part?
I'm happy at the moment anyhow  :)

47 CJ2A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 12:16am
Sounds like success to me - good job!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 2:07am
  Has anyone ever measured the bearing clearance/preload both before and after the application of Copper Coat on the shims? It has to amount to something........... There's a video where a guy measured the thickness of a Sharpie mark.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Has anyone ever measured the bearing clearance/preload both before and after the application of Copper Coat on the shims? It has to amount to something........... There's a video where a guy measured the thickness of a Sharpie mark.   BW

I did.  It went from .005 to .0065 ish.  I coated both sides of each shim with one coat of Permatex copper spray.  This could vary though, depending on how many shims were used, and how thick a coat one might spray on.  I didn't count the shims, but I used a complete pack from Novak, Plus two or three more from an additional pack.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:06am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I did.  It went from .005 to .0065 ish.  I coated both sides of each shim with one coat of Permatex copper spray.  This could vary though, depending on how many shims were used, and how thick a coat one might spray on.  I didn't count the shims, but I used a complete pack from Novak, Plus two or three more from an additional pack.

As long as we are aware of that, and can keep it within specs, we're good, right? Thumbs Up  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

As long as we are aware of that, and can keep it within specs, we're good, right? Thumbs Up  BW

Yep. Definitely.  I anticipated this during assembly.  If memory serves, all the shims were .0075 thick.  I wasn't sure how much additional thickness the copper spray would add.  I did the initial set up dry, then removed one shim.  I sprayed them, then reassembled and hoped for the best.  It worked out okay for me.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 6:08pm
Good thought, I hadn't considered that and didn't check it.   I'll likely end up rebuilding the Tcase sometime soon - seeing as it had no oil in it I'm guessing it's not in too great a shape!    It competes with the gearbox and front axle to make the most noise.
47 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply