Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transfer case snap ring/front bearing/output gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer case snap ring/front bearing/output gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer case snap ring/front bearing/output gear
    Posted: 16 July 2018 at 5:34am
ok what's the deal with the snap ring between the front bearing and the output gear?

As per Novak guide I drove "a screwdriver or similar shaped tool" in there. The bearing backed up a little. I have a gap maybe 1/8" in there... is that supposed to be enough to remove the snap ring? Because it ain't... 

Rick S guide shows a tool made from a cheap axe bug I think I got the same separation with two chisels, now what?? 

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 4:32pm
Have you removed the rear bearing race from the case?  Once this is out, you should have plenty of room to give yourself more space to access the snap ring.

Read through D21, D22 on this instructional.  It might help...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 7:46pm
Yep, the rear bearing race is out (step D20).

I have lots of room to move the front bearing forward on the shaft, my problem is that I can't get it to move. It's stuck on that shaft really tight... I think it moved a little but that's it.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by konstan konstan wrote:

I have lots of room to move the front bearing forward on the shaft, my problem is that I can't get it to move. It's stuck on that shaft really tight... I think it moved a little but that's it.

Yah... sometimes those are on there really tight. I make a bearing puller that is specific to removing that bearing from the shaft in the case. Cost is $55. PM if you are interested.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 4:39am
I got it!

I was able to reach in there with a pair of snap ring pliers - the pointy kind, and move the ring out of the way.

With the ring out of the way, the shaft could be tapped out through the rear of the case.

Post Reply Post Reply