Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer Case Upgrades and Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2019 at 4:36am
This is a good thread of knowledge for reference and learning the little differences we can run into. This has been helpful for me to get acquainted with the t-case. thanks for the effort !
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 10:26am
oldtime, thanks for all the information on the TC's over the years. I'm just now taking my T-90 and transfer case out from behind the Dauntless. I also have the Dualmatic overdrive attached. Its a rear shift OD. I have been thinking about doing the TL kit while I have it apart. Now you have me thinking about doing the tapered bearings as well. Who would I send my case to have machined for the tapered bearing ? Is there a pre packaged set (shaft-bearings) that one can buy or would the shop know what to use? Excuse my ignorance, I only just rebuilt my first Dana 18 a year ago. It was easier than I thought, but this is new ground for me. Thanks
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 4:49pm
Quote  Who would I send my case to have machined for the tapered bearing ?
I know your a member of the ECJ5 forum.
I suggest you contact the ECJ5 machinist known as "Mcruff ".
You basically just ship him your intermediate gear and he will know exactly how to do it.

Quote  Is there a pre packaged set (shaft-bearings) that one can buy or would the shop know what to use? 
If you buy a new AA shaft kit then it comes with new Timken bearings and cups.

Depending on what TC your building and what you may or may not already have.
I prefer to buy my gears shipped individually as needed and direct from Tera Flex.
That said you will need to have the part numbers and order the parts through Herm or some other Tera Flex dealer.

I'm simply saying that it can feasibly be cheaper to buy a select number of gears minus the new Tera Flex intermediate shaft parts.
For a D18 you will want these 4 gears... 

I have not messed with Husky overdrives in quite a while 
First check with AA or Herm to be sure that the AA TL bowl gear will fit.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 1:20am
Thank you Sir. I will contact Mcruff and ask him. I just broke my T90 down today. (sick of the smell of diesel)  and will get to taking the TC appart tomorrow for a good bath in the diesel tank and cleaning. Its a small hole 18, but I have a nice 20 in the former sugar house, that I was thinking of using my 18 guts in. Not sure how that would upset my overdrive yet. The CJ2a (Jalopy)  I got from Nate is now sitting on a flanged 44 offset and soon a disc front 30, but they are geared as 373 right now. I will either have to drop my gearing in both axles, or go with a Terra low in TC. I'm thinking for now, to re-gear my axles and just use the OD on paved roads. I'm also thinking that the lower geared input shaft and cluster gear would be a good way to go, now that I have the T90 apart. Are those the only two parts to change on the T90, the input shaft and cluster? Or is there more hidden knowledge that is in your wisdom.   Yes, I said former sugar house, now its a parts out building. Wink
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 1:56am
IMHO 3.73 Differential Ratio (DR) is certainly a good thing if you install a D20 because the O.D. unit is not an option.
If your DR is 3.73 you will obviously need acceptable engine HP for hiway use.
That said a Flanged offset D44 should almost never be mated to a D20.

Otherwise for an offset axle and D18 TC ; the O.D. is almost always desirable so having a DR of 4.89 is generally near optimum. 

It sounds like you already have some nice heavy duty Jeep parts to choose from.
But it's best to envision the drive train as a complete and synchronous system. 
So I ask ...What engine is in this build ? 
I should also hope to know how you plan to drive and use this build ...

T90 is a great transmission for certain uses but certainly not for all builds. 
Seems to me the T90-A, C or J  may be a limiting link in this build.
What I'm saying it it's not near as tough as your Flanged offset D44 and D30 axles.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:19pm
oldtime the engine in it is a Dauntless 225. Was thinking at some point of putting in a 231 even fire, but that's down the road when I do a full frame off build, maybe this winter or next. Probably next year as I also want to finish up my CJ6 build. This one has kind of jumped in front of that CJ6 build as I have been challenged to get the Jalopy ready for the June New Hampshire trail ride. The Jalopy was a favorite at that one. So mechanically, just trying to get this set up for that right now. I was also thinking 488's for gears and may make that happen prior to June, but not sure as costs may restrain me from doing that right now. Been out of work for over two years and money is sometimes a little slim around here. I was also thing, while I have the T90 apart, of doing the lower first gear on it. From what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) I can purchase the low gear input shaft and cluster gear, to do this. Is that correct or is there more to it than just those two items ?

Eventually, I would like to build a TC with the Terra kit, in a 20 case (with 18 gears) with an overdrive, like I had in my last 46. This one is going to be a trailer queen for right now. Not much paved driving, just once in a while. Or just to get to a trail.

Edited by masscj2a - 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:24pm
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 4:32pm
The T90 non synchro has little effect if this is to mainly be used off-road... but
IMHO putting any T90 behind a Dauntless or Buick 231 is a tad marginal.
Due to power of a Dauntless or Buick 231 and strength of your axles I will suggest the T15 or T18.

Considering the length of the Flatfender engine compartment, the Dauntless and the BOP bellhousing pretty much mandates that you will need a 2-5/8" adapter plate.
The T90 C basically will not fit without a deep firewall recess and some kinda weird bellhousing.
2-5/8" adapter plate means you need the longer input of the T90 J. 
Jeep version of T90 J was only available with the meager 2.798 1st gear ratio.
I've looked into it but not sure if lower ratio IH T90 parts could ever work .
At best the required IH parts will be extremely rare to locate and may present other insurmountable problems.

Yes basically speaking the T90A to T90C or T90J conversion requires a change of maindrive gear and countershaft gear.
The Jeep T90 C itself dates back to 1947 with the introduction of the Willys pick-ups.
The Jeep T90 J dates back to 1954 SW and PU with 226 engines. 

Edited by oldtime - 17 Apr. 2019 at 4:37pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Y2GREY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2GREY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 1:05am
For what it's worth... Our Willys runs a 225, t18 and "super 18" transfer case with Rock Eater 4.86 gears. It also has 3.73s in the rears on 35 inch Boggers. It's getting regeared to at least 4.27 if not 4.88. Too much downshifting on hills with 3.73s. No over drive needed.

Edited by Y2GREY - 18 Apr. 2019 at 11:47am
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 9:11am
I think I will finish up my T90 and begin to look for an alternative T18. I guess what I would like to end up with is a T18 with 488's and a set of Terra low gears in the transfer case. I only plan to run 34 inch tires on this one and somewhere in the 1000-1050 range. I appreciate the education and look forward to watching more of this thread. The tech tips on the TC are all things I plan to watch for when I get around to building mine. Thanks
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:15pm
Well I sourced a Ford T18, 2WD version. It also came with an empty Jeep T18 case and main shaft, along with the T98 rear adapter and adapter seal bushing. The T98 adapter only fits the Jeep case. I have already swapped over the gears to the Jeep main shaft. Well except the three poppet balls and spring on the clutch hub. (I need another set of hands) Have them held down right now with a large radiator hose clamp. I have ordered a AA bell housing adapter that adapts both the Ford and Jeep cases along with others.  The same person also gave me the big hole Dana 18, but it is a bare housing. I have my Dana 18 small hole parts and pieces cleaned up, but waiting for the Novak rebuild kit to come in. Still not sure if the Dual matic will work in the end, but not worried to much about that with the current 373 ratio axles. But at least now with the 632 first gear, it gets me in the ball park with 34 inch tires. Thanks again for this article. It has shed a lot of light on the subject for a lot of people.

Edited by masscj2a - 05 May 2019 at 1:19pm
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:44pm
All Jeep TC adapter plates were machined from the same casting blanks prior to mid 1970's.
About 1975 a second TC casting blank was fashioned.
The first of these adapter castings were embossed with a "T98" casting number.
The second version adapter plate is embossed with T18 casting number.

The first embossed T98", was machined to become 2 distinctly different parts.
The small index bore (3-5/32") adapter plate was used only with T98-A. 
The large index bore (4") adapter plate was used for J trucks with T98 and with all Jeep T18's.
The finished machined part is not the same as the casting so we do not pay so much attention to the embossed numbers found on various castings.

You can see how the rear is indexed into the transfer case via the protruding ring.
This ring is specific for small hole transfer cases (3-5/32" index bore)
Jeep T18 transfer case adapter plates are identical except they have a 4" bore ring.
You can also see how the T18 adapter (on the right) is still marked as T98-A

[​IMG]

Most folks prefer to drill the rear of a Ford T18 case so the adapter plate may be attached. 
The front of the Ford Is re-drilled to fit trhe engine
I prefer to use the Jeep version of T18 case.
I modify the front of the Jeep castings to fit my particular Bellhousing.
Either way; no adapter plate is required up front.
Zero aftermarket parts

TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:02pm
Hey Oldtime, just wanted to say thanks for all of the valuable info in this post.  I'm planning on building a large hole 18 with the TL kit and mount it up to a T90C.  It's not going to be a fast, but I plan to frequent this post, among others, as I'm going through the mod.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Ken,

I do like your "real-bad-habit"   hahahahaha

My brain has reached the 'point-of-saturation' of Transfer-case info.

And, even though I have read through this, when I am able to tear-down my '46 to refurb the drivetrain, I will then begin dredging the Net for information to Understand the "Bowl-Gear" interchangeability between the different Over-Drive units and Output teeth concerns.
And, I will have a "hands-on" ability to touch and feel the parts and measure them rather than sitting here reading.
   I actually am a Hands-On learner more than being able to digest an article and remember specific numbers.   Unless frequented often.

Parts clean-up and renovation can be a good Stress-Reliever, as long as the smart-phone is nowhere near to be a distraction.
   It is difficult to clean parts while "texting".     hahahaha

Please continue posting for our entertainment. :)
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:56pm
I case you never got a response, NO, the terra low overdrive bowl gear is not compatible with the planetary gear pitch in the Dual Matic spider blank.
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:58am
Thank you.
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 1:26am
Is the terra low overdrive bowl gear  compatible with the Husky OD?  I have one for a 29/ 6 gear set up.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:35am
The Tera low overdrive bowl gear is only compatible with Warn, ATV, or Saturn Overdrives.

The Tera low bowl gear is NOT compatible with the Husky or Dualmatic Overdrives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123