Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transfercase output leaking. Further investigation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfercase output leaking. Further investigation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfercase output leaking. Further investigation
    Posted: 20 June 2021 at 5:27pm
So since I can't finish my Brake line revamp today. I started to work on the Transfer case output leak.

So I pull the rear driveshaft of the Yoke and WHAT THE HECK all around the Nut is oozing Black Silicone and Dry Yoke! 

Also I don't really see much wet around the back side of the Yoke where if it was the Output Seal leaking it would have slung oil. Thinking this is going to end up with me just bolting up the Rear Driveshaft and not messing with the Output.

I notice there is a wet line where the Transfer case pan gasket it is I test some of the Bolts and sure enough all can easily be turned at least 1/2 turn a couple close to a full turn. OK so thats not right.

I then shine my little LED light around and notice that there is a wet surface leading up to the Speedo Cable and the NUT (I have a military style cable from Crown that has a Hex shaped threaded retainer) is not even finger tight.

So a Question is there a preferred way to reduce leakage from the Speedo Cable area? Or should I just have at it with the old adjustable end wrench and snug it up?

I'll have to pull the SKID Plate to tighten up all the Pan bolts so I figure If I am going that far I might as well drain the transfer and replace the Gasket using some Gear Oil type Silicone sealer. To hot in the shop to mess with that now.

There was also some leakage on the Front Output so I'll have to get up close and try to see where that is coming from.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 6:08pm
Oil leaks coming from the area towards the front of the transfer case have often turned out to be coming from the shift tower on the T-90 transmission where the shift rails are. You might have a look there.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 7:04pm
recent speedo cable discussion regarding tightening:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply