Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Hump Height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Hump Height
    Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:26pm
Hello,

My 1948 CJ2A has the typical rotted out floors and almost non-existent hat channels.  I'm going to rebuild the hat channels with 1x2 rectangular tubing and will also need to fabricate the transmission hump section in the middle.  My tub floor is so rotted I can't get an accurate height measurement for the transmission hump section.  Does anyone have a good measurement for the height of the transmission hump where the floor hat channel support is?

Thanks,

Mark

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 3:29am
Mark,
Mine was gone also.  I ended up having to order a full floor (MDJuan M38) and cutting out what I needed.  So, my measurement won't be original but a "replacement" measurement.

I'm curious whether your tub still has the "riser" between the floor pans and the rear deck (the short vertical wall just behind the front seats that the tool box attaches to).  If so, could you not measure the height from there? 

Example from CE:
Note the notch in the center.

This hump also widens as it approaches the transmission cutout so depending on how much rot you have, that may not be obvious either.

Added:  Well, I had to go out and look and if I'm looking at it correctly, it appears the hump tapers upward also (higher at transmission vs. back at the riser). 

Edited by Rus Curtis - 12 May 2019 at 4:12am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mortensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:35am
Thanks for the feedback Rus.  

Yes, I could measure the height at the riser, it's also pretty rusted but would give me a ballpark figure.  I had also recognized that the hump height tapers from front to back as you mentioned, hence measuring the height at the floor riser would be a bit less than the actual height where the hat channel crosses.  I thought I'd toss the question out there to see if anyone who had already done this had a measurement.  I'll just use the riser for a swag, it'll probably be pretty close.

Thanks again,

Mark

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:16pm
Mark,
I thought I'd shared my numbers but I'll blame distractions......

To help with your research (again, my floor is a MD Juan M38 replacement floor) is:

Measuring down from deck
3 3/8" at rear riser
2.5"  at front corner of tool box
(confirming taper)

I suspect that you can also use the front face of the tool box and measure that differential also as it sits right on top of the hump corner.

Hopefully, this will add to "ball parking" until you get accurate measurements.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mortensen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mortensen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 1:30am
Thanks for the measurements Rus.  That'll be very helpful, much more accurate than anything I can probably pull off my rusty tub.  I wish I could use the tool box as you mention, but unfortunately I do not have a tool box.  When I inherited the Jeep, the tool box had long since rusted away and under the passenger seat the floor consisted of a piece of galvanized sheet metal.  That's still the current situation which I hope to rectify this summer.

Thanks again!

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply