Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Issues (I think)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Issues (I think)
    Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 3:56am
I was out driving my 48 willys tonight and had some issues.  I was driving in 2WD and the clutch began to feel funny when I pushed it in.  I stopped at a light and when it turned green I shifted into first and went to go and the car just wouldn't go.  I pulled to the side of the road and tried to shift into second, third, and even reverse.  The vehicle would move slowly forward but would not really drive.  I moved slowly to a parking lot to figure out what to do.  I locked the hubs put her in 4WD and it drove fine.  When I got home I put it back in 2WD and the same thing happened the car wouldn't drive in 2WD but drives fine in $wd.  I have never done much work on transmissions or anything of that nature so I need help diagnosing/repairing the problem.  Thanks for any help.  Hope I'm not reposting anything I looked and couldn't find anything on this subject.  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 4:22am
  I don't think there's anything wrong with your transmission, it has to work the same whether in 2WD or 4WD. Possibly the transfer case -  I need to study on that a bit - more likely, the problem is in the rear diff/axle, or possibly rear driveshaft slip splines. Did it make any noises? You say it drives in 4WD - High or Low range?
  Where in Colorado are you, maybe I could come take a look?    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Thor Schanck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 4:31am
It didn't really make any strange noises.  Basically it made the same noises as usual just wouldn't drive.  It will drive in both 4 wheel high and low I think but it wont drive in either 2 wheel high or low.  I'm near Fort Carson would love someone who knows a little more about this stuff to take a look.  Shoot me an email at thorschanck@gmail.com  and we could set up a place to meet if you are near me.  I'm free all weekend if you have any time.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 4:44am
Have you been driving in  2 wheel LOW (with the interlock removed)? If so you could have twisted one of your rear axles in two.
Jack up the rear and turn each wheel and observe if the other wheel turns.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 4:49am
I put it in 2 wheel low to see how it worked since I just bought the Jeep.  I'm not sure what the interlock is though.  I will jack up the rear and see what it loos like.  I take it that I want both wheels to turn when I move one of the wheels.  
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 5:22am
   The interlock is supposed to prevent you from selecting 2WD Low. When you get it jacked up check whether either rear wheel can be moved up/down or side/side.
  I'm northeast of Greeley but I get near Colorado Springs and Fort Carson occasionally.   BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 5:28am
Ill check it out tomorrow morning to see what happens.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 10:37pm
You want to rotate the rear wheels and ensure that an axle shaft is not broken.
You could also lift one rear wheel at a time, and with the transmission in gear the wheel should not rotate by hand unless the axle shaft is broken.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 11:54pm
So just a quick clarification on checking the rear axle.  Do I need to have both rear wheels off the ground to be able to check to see if the axle shaft is broken.  Also small update on what I have checked.  I popped the rear caps off the to see if the keys sheared off.  I put the car in gear and tried to drive it.  The car moved slightly and the rear end bobbed a little but it would not drive.  Don't know if this helps further understand or not.  
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2013 at 3:07pm
There is more than one way to check the rear axle integrity. Just verify one thing. Is the rear drive shaft turning independent of the wheels?  You can check this by turning either the wheels or the drive shaft.
Understanding how a differential works helps. If one wheel is lifted and the drive shaft locked in gear, the raised wheel can not be turned if the axle  shafts and differential gears are intact.
If you do have rotation then you need to open the differential to tell what is broken.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2013 at 5:55pm
So I just went out and jacked up the back end and tried spinning the wheels with the jeep in gear.  Both wheels will spin freely with the vehicle in gear.  I take it that if this is the case I have broken the axle shaft.  I was looking over a rear axle assembly diagram online and it looks like there are two axle shafts one on either side of the differential.  If both wheels are spinning freely does this mean I need to replace both?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Schanck Thor Schanck wrote:

So I just went out and jacked up the back end and tried spinning the wheels with the jeep in gear.  Both wheels will spin freely with the vehicle in gear. 
  Did you have both wheels off the ground? if so, when you turned one wheel, did the other one turn? Did it turn in the opposite direction? Is there any movement in either wheel up/down or side/side?
  We're getting closer, I'd bet.   BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2013 at 10:27pm
I had one side jacked up at a time.  There was no movement in the opposite wheel that I could notice.  There didn't seem to be any movement up, down, or side to side.  If I have time later on today I might try opening up the differential.  It seems like taking a look inside might give me a better idea of what is going on.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 1:45am
So I was able to get the cover to the differential off this afternoon.  It looks good there were no parts floating around inside and the fluid was relatively clean.  I'll put some pictures in to show you what it looked like.  Just another update the drive shaft does spin when i try to move the car in 2wd.  Any Ideas of where I should look next.  I'm thinking of pulling the axle rods out to see what they look like. Here are the pictures of the differential.  

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 1:57am
Yep. That's what I would do next, pull the axles. On the way in you may find a sheared hub key. You'll need the proper puller to get the rear hubs off of the axles. Search "hub puller" and you should find plenty of discussion and pictures. This is one case where only the right tool will do. I've heard that some auto parts stores will loan or rent you one, but I don't know, I have my own. Just got done using it, in fact.
  It looks like, in your picture, there may be some chunks or filings in the housing to the right of the ring gear, or is it just "gunk"?   BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 2:12am
No I think it was just gunk I didn't really notice any filings or chunks of anything when I took things apart.  I guess just a few small questions I have are is there a thread that had a detailed instruction on how to pull the axles.  I was also wondering if the fluid needed to refill the differential can be bought at any auto parts store or if it is something special.  
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 3:13am
Now, turn one wheel at a time and see if the spider gear in the diff turns. You have probably twisted one of the shafts off. This happens when full low range torque is applied to the rear axle in 2wd. Someone must have removed the interlock from your transfer case that prevents 2wd low.
When you find the broken shaft, the next fun is getting the differential end out of the axle housing.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2013 at 3:46am
So if the spider gear turns then that shaft is good?  Am I looking for one wheel to turn and the spider gear not move?  Also what parts exactly do I need to remove to get the shafts out?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>