Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Issues (I think)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2013 at 3:49pm

To get that out you have to pull the ring gear and carrier out of the housing, unbolt it (the ring gear) from the carrier, punch the differential shaft (I said pin earlier) retaining pin out, remove the differential shaft, and then that block will fall right out. I haven't looked very hard, but I didn't find any vendors that have them. Mine is a little beat up and I would have replaced it if I could have found one easlily.

I'm sure any machine shop could fix you up with something pretty quickly.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Thor Schanck Thor Schanck wrote:

So my next question is how do I get to that piece to replace it? would that involve removing the rear axle and disassembling it?

Removing the axle assembly from the jeep is not necessary, but disassembly is.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2013 at 5:46pm
I was just looking back on the first page of this thread, and in the picture there I can see that the spacer is broken. Didn't notice it before. What I'm bettin' is that when the axle broke, it didn't break off square across the shaft ( they don't) then when the two pieces turned at different speeds it created a "ramp" or cam effect that made the now two-piece axle longer, crushing the spacer.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Thor Schanck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 8:16am
So it has been a really long time since I’ve been on here. I was just looking back through all of the posts and want to thank everyone for their patience and help with this. I was asking some very basic questions and always received great advice and answers. As an update on the project I am in the process of a full restoration. I’m currently back in the rear axle pulling it apart. As you all suggested the spacer is indeed broken so I will need to replace it. The axle shaft on the long side was broken. The shaft broke just on the inside of the bearing so it was very easy to extract. I got lucky there. I’ll add pictures soon for reference. Again thanks to everyone for the patience and help. 

Edited by Thor Schanck - 16 Jan. 2022 at 8:17am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 10:38am
On reassembly be sure you understand how to properly install the rear hubs.

One responder to this old post said "The hubs are known to crack at the keyway" and this is certainly true, but the cause of this is improper installation. 

I have found split hubs on many old Jeeps which were caused by someone putting the key in the keyway and then sliding the hub on. When the key is put in before the hub, the hub will push it further in and it will ramp up and act like a wedge. The hubs are very thin at the wide end of the bore and the wedge effect will split them when the hub is tightened. 

The hub goes on the shaft the key ways are lined up, and then the key is tapped in so when tightened the hub and key are pushed together onto the taper. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 1:09pm
As I began to remove the differential bearing side caps I noticed that the markings on the differential housing did not match the caps.  As a sanity check these appear to be on the wrong sides.  Also does anyone have a good way to remove pinion nut from the yolk? I have soaked it with penetrating oil the past 2 days and attempted with a battery powered impact wrench as well as a 2 foot breaker bar.  It just doesn't want to come loose.

Edited by Thor Schanck - 16 Jan. 2022 at 1:12pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 2:36pm
Indeed, the diffy bearing caps are not only on the wrong side but are also reversed. The "O" character should be right next to the "O" on the housing and "O" should face the same direction also.

As for the tight pinion nut, I always used and air impact wrench with success except for one time when I had to use a 3/4" drive socket and breakover with a 3 foot cheater on it. that was on a Model 60 axle though.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Schanck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 3:03pm
Thank you for the help.  Ill have to get an air wrench on he nut and see if that does the job.  I'm using a 1 1/4 socket on the nut.  It was the closest I could find but it still fits a tad sloppy.  Wasn't sure if there is a better option.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123