Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission noise
    Posted: 03 June 2023 at 3:39pm
My transmission is getting very noisy. I had the top cover off today, fluid level ok, may have looked sparkly depending on the angle of the light, in sunlight I didn’t see any sparkling in the sample or on the underside of the shift tower. I’m using warren 90wt gl1. It’s very whiny. It makes noise when the transmission is engaged, no matter if it’s in gear or in neutral. Noise goes away if I disengage the clutch. It makes noise at any speed, but when downshifting 3rd to 2nd you can really hear the gears winding up. It’s quite loud, it got worse after having the cover off so I removed it again to make sure I didn’t miss something, but no change. I thought originally reverse idler was making noise due to being new, but now I’m inclined to think it’s the cluster needle bearings or input bearings. The only gear I didn’t replace was the cluster gear. I used a rebuild kit from Novak last October to rebuild it and I may have 700 miles on it all together. Any thoughts before I tear it apart?  

Edited by Agas46cj - 03 June 2023 at 3:40pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 4:03pm
Before you tear the transmission apart I suggest inspecting the throw out bearing for the clutch. 

"Noise goes away if I disengage the clutch" This speaks out to me as a clue. Check to see if the trow out bearing and carrier are staying together when the clutch is engaged, and check to make sure you have appropriate free play with the clutch. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 4:06pm
  Any time you run a new gear against an old gear you can expect a whiny transmission.  Does it seem to make a bit less noise in third than in second? Even though the input gear is still driving the cluster gear and the cluster is driving the second speed gear and the reverse idler, they are not carrying any load in third gear. The same is true of neutral. When you disengage the clutch, all of the transmission stops, so the noise should too.
  Generally, gear problems produce a whine or howl, bearing problems make a growl or rumble.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 4:43pm
I just went and checked for answers to the above questions. The throw out bearing has about 1/4” or less of travel until it engages the clutch. It doesn’t rotate when the clutch is engaged, feels good by hand and is not separated from the carrier. On my quick drive, it makes noise in all 3 gears I can’t really say it’s louder in any particular gear, but by far the most noticeable when downshifting. I took a video with the cover off and clutch cover off. I now have to figure out YouTube. Attached photos are immediately after drive just now. There’s still bubbles in the transmission I had it off so quick after drive

Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 4:52pm
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 5:43pm
Compared to my transmission, especially in reverse that would be concerning. 

I can't offer advice, only yeah,  find the cause. Not normal.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 4:16am
New hearing aids? My transmission recently got much louder as well😄
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 8:39am
That’s funny. I wish it were that simple. 
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2023 at 4:21am
Any thoughts before I go and put all new guys in my case? I spoke to a few guys about it’s at the picnic yesterday and mostly got that I should just replace the transmission, Carl gave some good advice on rebuilding it but didn’t know what the noise source might be either. 
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2023 at 9:01am
I don’t think this is your problem, but if/when you drop the trans, check the input shaft, clutch friction disk and pressure plate for runout. Mine was way out of spec. A P.O. must have dropped the trans on its nose and the new friction disk I installed had a bad wobble and made a scratching sound when turning and holding the clutch in. Just some items to check on tear down. Good luck. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2023 at 11:49am
Years ago I experienced the bull gear getting loose on the output shaft and that made plenty of noise.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2023 at 7:48pm
I rebuilt my transmission and re gasketed the transfer case today. The last time I rebuilt it I put the oil collector back in it. At some point it got loose and was eaten by the input gear. Metal debris got into it and wiped out bushings and started some flaking off the needle bearings. I’m also now of the opinion that the 15 and 16 tooth reverse idlers are not interchangeable during a rebuild. The teeth on the idler and the cluster gear were very worn and sharp after less than 1000 miles. So that was the source of my noise. I rebuilt it with all new internal parts. It’s now very quiet and drives very nice. No oil collector now. I did run it for a couple seconds with the top cover off to see how oil circulates. I dont recommend that unless you like cleaning up 90wt oil for fun. Plenty of circulation…

Edited by Agas46cj - 01 July 2023 at 8:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply