Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelwagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travelwagon
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 3:18pm
Since this is the "other vehicles" section, I thought I would post up other things besides jeeps that are consuming my time.

It's a 1964 Econoline Travelwagon. These were set up as campers originally with cabinets and small kitchen equipment. All the camper stuff had been removed from this van, but it does still have the pop-up roof. I bought it just like the photo depicts; it's someone's halted project and now it's my project. All the parts (well most of them) are in the back and I've started inventory and trying to piece together the Econo-puzzle.

Edited by otto - 04 Jan. 2019 at 9:05pm
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 9:21pm
Are you just going to make it a van or are you keeping the pop up roof?
You mentioned all the camper stuff is gone....
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 12:42am
The pop up top will absolutely stay; it’s the main reason I bought it besides the condition of the body. The van is amazingly straight and rust free. I can actually stand up in the van under the top when it’s up- and I’m 6’ 3”!
If the cabinets were still in it I would most likely remove some of them as I need enough space to load a motorcycle.

Edited by otto - 04 Jan. 2019 at 9:01pm
48 CJ2A
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 2:11am
That's sweet Rob.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 1:53pm
Looking up local Willys on Craigslist, noticed an Econoline Travelwagon for sale in Baltimore. Has a Bronco 4WD drive train. Kind of interesting. https://baltimore.org/cto/6758770211.html
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 1:52am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 9:00pm
Well that link does work better. That is interesting! I've wondered if Bronco or Scout axles would fit under the old Econos; now I know. I like the concept and if it was a van it could put the 'travel" in Travelwagon. That front axle engineering looked a bit sketchy though.
48 CJ2A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2019 at 10:01pm
I sort of like them but I like old stuff. Back in college I had a room mate with an Econoline that a PO had put a 300 ci six in. The thing would run...
uncamonkey
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:03pm
I got the van up on stands and was working underneath and noticed this bracketry for holding a cylindrical object. Propane? water? Nitrous?

There is a step on the passenger side below the doors that has a mechanism which will swing the step out when one of the doors is opened. This may or may not stay.

Also got the van running- it just took some fresh gas. It runs like a 55 year old van; not great, but not horrible. The odometer shows 89K miles and from what I see throughout the van, I think it's original miles. At least the van is mobile now and it can be moved around under its own power.
I'm super happy with the condition of this thing, I can't find any rust on it anywhere and reassembling it is almost fun. This is the simplest vehicle I can remember working on and in many ways is simpler than a jeep.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 10:44pm
Not a new style of camouflage but just a guide coat for block sanding- a lot of block sanding. Finally getting my hands on this project after many other distractions. 
48 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 11:03pm
This is such a cool piece! Kudos to you for bringing this back!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2019 at 11:49pm
My dad drove these as well as the Econoline pickups in the 60's as a Sheet metal man what is now called a HVAC tech course dad was the foreman of the shop and most commercial jobs before the end of the 60's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

This is such a cool piece! Kudos to you for bringing this back!! 

Well, I haven't brought anything back yet, I have made some improvements though. I do have a plan for the van, and my mind reels from the ideas I have for it. So far it's gotten:
  • upgraded to an alternator from its original 12V generator
  • the exhaust manifold machined flat and its blown-out gasket replaced
  • upgrade to a PCV system and the road draft tube sealed
Two of these resulted in less nasty fumes inside the cabin from the engine cover. Also lashed the valves and tuned it up a bit- runs pretty good now.

I've only driven the van on the little gravel road that I live on, it's interesting to drive...
48 CJ2A
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I got the van up on stands and was working underneath and noticed this bracketry for holding a cylindrical object. Propane? water? Nitrous?

There is a step on the passenger side below the doors that has a mechanism which will swing the step out when one of the doors is opened. This may or may not stay.

Also got the van running- it just took some fresh gas. It runs like a 55 year old van; not great, but not horrible. The odometer shows 89K miles and from what I see throughout the van, I think it's original miles. At least the van is mobile now and it can be moved around under its own power.
I'm super happy with the condition of this thing, I can't find any rust on it anywhere and reassembling it is almost fun. This is the simplest vehicle I can remember working on and in many ways is simpler than a jeep.

JATO rocket for awesome jump starts from a standing start!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 5:20pm
  Those vehicles brings back memories.  We used them on the flight line when I was in the USAF.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 6:44pm
WOW, a trip down memory lane.

Glad your bringing the van back to life.Smile

GREAT Drive-In  VanBig smile
GREAT party van

In 1970, my friend and I installed  a 289 V-8, C-4 trans, and 9" diff from a Falcon Sprint in one.  Very fast scary machine.

We flared out the rear fender wells so as to run L 60 X 15 tires and also installed 65 mustang tail lights.

What a fun machine!

Great job and keep us posted please.

Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2019 at 3:20am

Spent the day block sanding, haven’t done this in a while. I think I know how migrating birds feel now. Most of the guide coat came off and showed some spots I expected while revealing other areas that caught me by surprise- that’s  why this step is important. 
The PO put a fair amount of decent primer on so some imperfections blocked out 
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2019 at 5:31am

Making a little progress. The color is not my favorite but it’s growing on me . While it doesn’t look much different from two months ago, a lot of work has been done. I had to re-do some previous work and blocked out the panels twice. Should look pretty good. 

Edited by otto - 14 Sep. 2019 at 5:36am
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>