Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelwagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Rob I have one similar to that hanging in the front room.  It has the teeth more like a modern saw where they are all the same.

This old saw has what is called a "Champion tooth" pattern with two cutters to every raker; there were many different tooth patterns used in ye olden days. 

There is another saw in the shed that has two handles on it (really just 1 1/2), that has a "Lance tooth" pattern which is four cutters to every raker. This saw is about six feet long and didn't seem as versatile as the one handled saw, so I left it there. 

Maybe touch your saw with a file and I'll bring mine to the Spring Fling and we'll have a little timber competition! 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2022 at 7:57pm

The overdrive needs a hard to find seal and I’m playing the waiting game. So I’m picking away at other things to stay busy. My 1960 vintage oven door light switch is broken and is NLA. I found one on the internet but it was $75; so I took it apart to see if I could just fix it. It looked really simple and the broken part was just the plastic plunger. I used my drill press as a lathe to turn down a car door lock button to make the plunger. It actually works! We’ll see how car door lock buttons hold up to oven temps.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2022 at 8:58pm

Tonight I took the overdrive apart to inspect the innards. I drained out only a few ounces of oil from the OD unit which was concerning as that’s the death knell for them. Everything looks good inside with only ordinary wear evident to my eye, so that was a big relief. Hopefully, the oil just leaked out during the years of storage through some leaky seals that will get replaced now.

I have a factory 1965 Ford truck service manual that includes this transmission. The gearbox passed all the diagnostic tests listed in the manual so I'm feeling good so far. The gizmo on the end of the shaft is the free- wheeling unit, or overrunning clutch which has some rollers that climb ramps and wedge themselves into the bowl gear. There were a couple of fun springs inside of that to put back together.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2022 at 9:01pm

The van only has fuel and temperature gauges from the factory and I thought it might be interesting to add some more to monitor the engine. Two of these are mechanical and it takes two tubing kits to get back to where they connect to the engine, ‘cause you have to take the long way to get there. The turbo gauge volunteered to fill the space of the aftermarket water temp gauge in the pod, because the temp tube wasn’t long enough to get there. 

The gauge on the right will read just on the vacuum side for now and it might come in handy as a tuning aid. Maybe someday it’ll read on the plus side!

vg
48 CJ2A
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2022 at 9:51am
Nice
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2022 at 11:47pm

I finally made a little forward progress with the transmission. I brazed on some brass blobs onto the bearing retainer and finally found someone who would turn it down so it would fit the adapter. Little machine shops that will do small jobs like this are getting hard to find.

Then I can put the transmission in place to see how it will really fit. I may test the gearbox with it held up on a jackstand to make sure it functions properly because the install may make this swap irreversible.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2022 at 12:05am

A while ago I tested the gearbox by running it behind the engine just setting on a jackstand. I ran a switched wire to the solenoid with 12V, and started the engine to see what I really had. There was no driveshaft connected, but the speedo cable was hooked up so I could monitor output shaft speed. The T85 went through the gears smoothly and silently so the 3 speed part works well, but it would not shift into OD. I could hear the solenoid click and it does work, but for whatever reason it would not upshift.  So that was disappointing.

On the plus side, the seals I replaced weren’t leaking.

I pulled the T85 out and put the van’s original trans back in the way it was. There are a couple of car show type events that I want to take it to coming up shortly and won’t have time to solve this mystery before then. Guess I’ll have to take it apart and see if something is wrong.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 5:21pm
Today was Econo-Northwest 2022 and once again it was screaming hot! The forecast today is for 100F, which is far cooler than last year’s 112F so it was more comfortable. Saw some interesting vans and talked to some interesting people. The van performed admirably, but the overdrive transmission would have made this trip much more comfortable.

There were a handful of Travelwagons in attendance, this one still had its original interior. It was all there, but yikes!

48 CJ2A
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 8:11pm
so nice. those old fords are beaut's

otto, did you have to go whup up on that big dude for touchin your paint and shame him in front of his girl?LOL
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 10:25am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

so nice. those old fords are beaut's

otto, did you have to go whup up on that big dude for touchin your paint and shame him in front of his girl?LOL

Ha! I think that was his daughter, and no, I didn't embarrass him by giving him a "whuppin". Just a stern talking to. JK, I don't know what he's doing in that picture.LOL  
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2023 at 9:09pm

A mid-winter update:

I haven’t given up on my overdrive transmission and started on another experiment to try to get it to shift into OD. I was talking to someone familiar with this transmission and he said that sometimes the transmission needs a source of inertia on the back of it so when you let off the gas it feels a load from the drive train. They typically won’t shift under power and the driver would need to “let off” for it to shift.

I’m not going to install this transmission until it will fully function properly because if this gearbox won’t work, there’s not a lot of these transmissions out there to replace it with another.

Here’s what I’m going to try:

Bolting some weight to the back of the transmission’s yoke. I cut a round piece of thick plywood and bolted a jeep pressure plate to it. Hoping that this will be enough weight to simulate driving conditions enough to get it to shift. If this doesn’t work, I may just shift it into overdrive manually and attach a piece of wood to it instead and turn a bowl. Smile

t

Edited by otto - 06 May 2023 at 11:09pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 6:54pm

Spent the weekend tying up some loose ends on the van. I installed the “crotch cooler” vent box I bought at the van show last year on the passenger side. Always thought it odd it wasn’t spec’d originally like this being a camper and all. The van has traveled to Mexico and it may have been a sweaty ride for passengers with no vent on that side.

Just had to relocate the wiper washer reservoir to the side of the vent box, there were little dimples where the screws are supposed to go- that was a cool little find.

I took the screens off the windows in the top. I don’t think they’ve ever been removed before and the windows were super dirty- it took a razor blade, steel wool and windex to clean them up.

Also got the tip-out windows installed in the rear doors with some dark tint.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 6:01pm
I took the van to the Portland Transmission Warehouse Spring Opener- I’m not a car show person but my dad and brother go to this every year and it’s a pretty cool event. It’s not really advertised and somewhat of an underground secret, so cars that never show up at other events will appear. If the weather is good, hundreds of cars will show up and park on blocked-off streets in SE Portland.

I showed up early and got in line with other cars arriving. There were people in bright vests directing cars where to go and they waved me into the center of the main parking area! The event only goes until noon, so I got home before it got really hot. I don’t know why every time I take this to some car- type event it’s always extremely warm- today was a 90F day.

48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 6:13pm
Dang Otto, that color combo on the van looks so right!

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 12:41pm
Thats sweet Rob. I went up to tigered yesterday for my grandsons soccer game at 3:00 pm. It was 93 but a good breaze blowing so it was not to bad.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Dang Otto, that color combo on the van looks so right!

Thank you, the tan is close to the original Driftwood and I added the Wimbledon White as a period correct color for the two-tone. I didn't care for the tan at first, but it's grown on me.
48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 12:05pm
Otto -
  If you are interested there is a pretty decent looking '64 Ford Falcon / Econoline van for sale in South Salem. No price listed on the sign. Will snap a photo & get the phone # if you want.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Otto -
  If you are interested there is a pretty decent looking '64 Ford Falcon / Econoline van for sale in South Salem. No price listed on the sign. Will snap a photo & get the phone # if you want.
Dasvis, thanks for thinking of me; I got a little excited when you mentioned 64 Falcon- I like the 2 dr hardtops a lot, but I don't need another van. I already have 5 vehicles and 2 motorcycles!
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>