Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trials and Tribulations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2020 at 10:08pm

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2020 at 1:11am
All painted up. I bought 20 cans of paint when I went to the store, when there's a good week of weather it's getting a new paint scheme. Power steering gear rebuild kit and spanner wrench arrived.

CJ3B
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2020 at 3:00pm
Flaptastic!!
Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2020 at 12:11am
Put the 3b to work this afternoon moving a truck. Thanks for the compliments. It's just a clone of another Jeep. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2020 at 10:05pm
Current paint scheme. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2020 at 12:18am
I got around to replacing the seals on the input shaft. Very easy to do. Went for a drive and didn't see a leak when I got back so that's good.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2020 at 10:00pm
I'd been having some small ignition and engine issues. I bought another set of plug wires, electronic distributor, coil and installed a new spark plug since one of the new ones already went out. Now that it was running better I decided to find out why it wouldn't rev past 3k rpm. My first thought was the oil bath filter and after disconnecting the air tube from it the engine started running better and revs past 3k rpm. 
I have some tidying up to do in the engine bay.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2020 at 4:43am
Yesterday I found the time to set the head up on the resurfacer and started mowing it down. Took .125 off it. If my math is right the engine (stock) should have around an 8:1 CR with this cylinder head.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2020 at 5:41am

Tonight I put the crankshaft on the balancer. I was shocked when that thing got done spinning. From the factory, it came balanced within 1.5 ounces. For a tractor engine that's not bad at all. That's considered good for general street applications. I'll get a flywheel to throw on it and go from there and spin it up again.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 6:17am
New tires for the Jackman wheels. I'll have to fix the valve stem holes but they're in good shape besides that. 285/75/16

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2020 at 11:17pm
Donaldson paper filter unit fit like a glove and I used a piece of 2-1.5" plumbing reducer to fit the hoses together.

While on my test drive I noticed some random puffs of smoke every few seconds. When I finally got back and popped the hood I noticed this. I checked the oil pressure gauge hose and it was good. Didn't see it coming from the oil line. Also noticed the engine started to run on 3 cylinders off and on. You can see the oil coming from where I poorly welded the header. She is just tired and needs some attention I guess.  Probably worn out and/or broken ring(s).

And now with Jackmans...

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 4:47am
I bought a couple of F134's. The one pictured is a military engine from an M38A1. Hopefully, it'll be a good core for the build.

I tried to knock this piston out of the top of the block and ended up putting a moon roof in it.

I then decided to make a tool to drive the pistons out from the bottom of the block. Piece of pipe and steel plate welded together. Voila! Piston driver.

Got the valvetrain removed. An air hammer works great at removing valves rusted in the guides. Especially when they're on the seat. All pipe plugs and core plugs removed.

Here is the block in the oven.

After ~25 minutes.

And finally, the block goes into an airless shot blaster. Under the dust is clean metal.

I knew there was a crack right by the block drain but that's an easy fix. Time consuming repair but easy. I'll blow it off and proceed to crack detection before going any further with the block.

I talked to Clifford and they talked to the guy who does their cam grinds and he said just about whatever I wanted could be done.  With stock parts, I don't want to pull through 6k rpm. The guy on the phone was concerned with the engine flying apart but I tried to assure him it'd be fine and I have two other engines for testing purposes.
This is where a flow bench would come in handy. I don't know what the head is capable of flowing so too much lift could hurt performance. Not that I'm looking for more than .400 lift anyhow...

CJ3B
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 4:20pm
I'm curious about the block prep process you posted, it looks like the oven has a rotisserie like those "set it and forget it" chicken cookers. Does this process get the water jackets and internal passages clean? I've only seen engine parts cleaned by immersing in a caustic solution.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I'm curious about the block prep process you posted, it looks like the oven has a rotisserie like those "set it and forget it" chicken cookers. Does this process get the water jackets and internal passages clean? I've only seen engine parts cleaned by immersing in a caustic solution.

It doesn't clean the water passages. Like you said if you want to clean the water jackets you'd have to immerse the block in solution to remove the scale build up. Personally I've never seen anyone take the time to descale unless there was a large amount of build up or there were chunks.

The oven is like a rotisserie. It burns paint, oil, carbon, etc. Turns it to ash and that's when the part goes into the shot peen. The shot peen has two large impellers that throw bb's (think birdshot) at the part to clean it. It's like a sandblaster but no air is needed. It also turns like a rotisserie but it changes direction.
CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2020 at 7:05am
I magnafluxed the block and didn't find any other cracks.

Anyhow, I cut the guides down for a positive valve seal. I used a .530 cutter.

CJ3B
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 3:51am
Wow, what a lot of work. Hope that you are enjoying every bit of it.
Good Luck.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
Owner of "The Swiss Miss"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 3:43pm

To be on the safe side you could pressure test your block. I had one with an internal leak that the machine shop didn't find. After changing the head gasket several times including a copper gasket and still finding coolant in the oil I tore the motor down and pressure tested it myself  with air and found it leaking in the distributor cavity.
  I blocked off the top with a piece of rubber using the head for a plate and made a plate to cover the water pump hole with a rubber gasket. Plugged one of the manifold holes with a pressure gauge and a schrader valve in the pitcock hole to pressureize it.
 Found the problem fixed it, tested it again now I am puttting it back together.

Keep up the good work

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2020 at 7:35pm
Thanks guys. Not much progress lately but still getting good use out of the 3b.

I pulled this truck up the driveway in the rain last night. 4x4 does indeed work and my driveshaft held up. 

CJ3B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>