Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trials and Tribulations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 11:44am
Tuesday I threw the 3b together so I could drive around on some ice/snow and act like a "delinquent" and slide around empty church parking lots. 

Wednesday
I removed the windshield since I can barely see from it and went for another drive. I was out driving around for a few hours and on mostly rural roads and moving tree limbs when encountered. Anyhow I made a large loop around the backside of town put some gas in the tank and started on my way to the Continental tire plan to take a picture. When I made it to the plant and took my picture I heard the sound of a semi lock up its brakes so I hopped back in the 3b and drove a few yards up the road to make sure everything was alright. I saw the driver get out and I yelled over to him and he said he was fine so I left to go home. About a quarter mile from the house a tree had fallen in the road since I had last driven down it no more than an hour ago. A semi truck and I arrived to it and I backed up to the tree and the driver gave me a couple straps to try to move it. I managed to get the tree moved a couple feet but it was rooted in the ground still. I only had my hi lift on me but the truck driver had a claw hammer so I started cutting the limbs on the tree with a claw hammer. It worked surprisingly well and we managed to strip the front half of the tree with that hammer and brute force. Probably 40 minutes or longer after working over the tree a guy I know from the local PD showed up and I gave him the run down. He called his lieutenant and he showed up a half hour later with a saw and cut the tree in 3 different parts and I drug them to the shoulder of the road. The truck driver showed me his manifest and he was transporting some Dr. Pepper to the Gulf States canners down the road about 6-10 minutes from where we were. He and the officers thanked me and were surprised with the little ol' 3b. I went back to the gas station and filled up. I used around 2.5 gallons in ~28 miles with most of my driving at 2k rpm and that includes me trying to snatch a tree out of the road. Something interesting happened too. The fhead stopped blowing oil out of the cylinder and started running on all 4. Shocked While I was pulling on the tree a stay limb went through the wheel well over the tire and hit the bottom of the tub and ended up smacking the cage outrigger. Just a little body damage but the tub was rusted out right there anyhow. 

The odometer is showing 69 miles now. I've put 36 miles on the 3b in the past two days. Not too bad considering it's still under construction. 

CJ3B
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 11:49am
Stay safe out there! You folks Way Down South aren't used to the kind of winter driving we deal with up here in Michigan. The 3B looks good and is clearly tackling the frosty roads.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Stay safe out there! You folks Way Down South aren't used to the kind of winter driving we deal with up here in Michigan. The 3B looks good and is clearly tackling the frosty roads.
Thanks. The last time we had this kind of weather was around 25 years ago but I wasn't born yet back then. I don't think our county or city have any plow trucks because our winters are never like this. Our street is a hill so none of my neighbors have been having luck getting in or out of their driveways. One took out his mailbox with his new Ram truck this evening. So far the 3b is the only automobile besides my brother's AWD Lexus suv to tackle our street without issue.
CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 6:08am
I haven't forgotten about the little Fhead project. The ol' F2B needed a rebuild and there were a dozen other blocks waiting in line before my junk.

I made one pass at 3.145 just to see what'd happen. Of course, there was a fair amount of pitting left in the cylinder so I set the bit to 3.152 and let 'er eat. Still some dark spots up at the top but that'll clean up when I hone. I reckon I'll knock .020 (or more) off the deck

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 2:07am
I spent the afternoon running wires. The disconnect kills the entire vehicle, there is another master kill switch that kills power to everything, the fuel pump has its own switch now, and a switch for the rear facing light. I wanted that light to be easily removable and hose clamps seemed to be a better choice than zip ties. I repurposed the old rear brake hose bracket on the frame to mount the disconnect. Now to try and tidy up the wiring.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:09am
Driver sidebar installed. 

Edited by 73 cj5 - 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:11am
CJ3B
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 2:30am
At least you have a B. My go to Jeep. It's not stock and I get it where I need to go. The only damage I have done to it is a dink on the right side exhaust  pipe. Yes, a V6 in it.
Back in my days in a Jeep shop, there was a 3A converted to a 3B for the room under the hood. 
john
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2021 at 6:12am
Got the passenger sidebar done today and removed the old dash bar to put in a larger diameter one. Tonight I managed to deck the block on the project fhead. I removed .024. 

CJ3B
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2021 at 4:08am
Love the sidebars.  Oh to be young and agile!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2021 at 1:30am
Got the wiring cleaned up and hand sanded all the parts of the roll cage where I never painted and it had rusted (engine bay too). Cut out a new larger diameter dashbar. Finally got the push I needed to cobble together a tunnel cover. I started with a cardboard template, picked up a piece of 24x16 20 gauge cold roll for $10, then started cutting and bending where needed. I was given this sheet metal brake/shear/roller and it came in handy for this little project. Threw on the sidebars to make sure they fit after cooling off. I'm finally almost done. The only things left are exhaust, driveshaft loops, alignment, and still waiting for my title to show up.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 11:30pm
I have a wheel that keeps losing air so I decided to fix it. Big smile

The RV2 was sorta tight but it managed to fit. I made a bracket that goes from a valve cover stud to the compressor head and then cut and reused the entire front compressor bracket to hold it to the power steering pump mount. There is another bracket on the back of the compressor that was made from an old shackle that was bent and cut to fit on a cylinder head bolt. I got the pulley from my local farm supply and reused the old compressor rear mount to hold it. This all worked out very well and the compressor works too. No belt squeal either.

CJ3B
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2021 at 12:08am
We all have our ways. My old neighbor was a submarine mechanic during WWII, the plumbing for his sprinker system looked like it should have been in a sub. His pickup had steering headlights. His shop compressor was a remounted York. You find ways to get things done.
john
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2021 at 11:22pm
Got the safety nets installed. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 3:29am
The radiator arrived today. Little narrower than what was in there and I'm sure with some tabs it could be remounted on the grill. Much better than the old copper/brass stuff.

I took off the old radiator and looked in the tubes. Nasty. A few had junk sticking out of them.

I had an M38A1 fan and it is different than my civvy fan. I installed the A1 fan to see if it moves more air?

I went ahead and made the radiator mounts out of 3/8" plate.

CJ3B
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 3:55am
We all have to stand back and look at things. we my feel a stupid when we figure it out. OH, which directioon does the fan go on? The guy was an ex Navy nuclear enginer that is now an electrical  enginer.
Oh, I want it to pull air, not push it. Greg, turn it over, it works the same. It is cupped on the end of the fan blades, the cuppng goes to the rear.
I've cleaned up more than one radiator using a boric acid solution. 
I asked an (best) old radiator guy about painting, Black, the cheapest he could find.
john
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 9:39pm
Looks like the new radiator fixed the problem. 13 miles of hard driving and it didn't overheat so I'm convinced the issue is resolved.

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2021 at 12:23am
Bought a 7x20 trailer, went to my buddy's place, and redid the header and bent up an exhaust (in a hurry) yesterday. I don't like how it hangs down in the back so in the future I'll have to redo the exhaust again. I finished welding it today. Nice and quiet. It has a kind of "throaty" sound with the glass pack. Installed a horn and ran fuel line from the pump to carb. 

CJ3B
73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 6:37am
Got my tag/title. After a year I can get an antique tag.

Started to do some maintenance and things snowballed... Drained the engine oil and glued a rare earth magnet to the drain plug after drilling a spot for it to sit. I pulled the drain plug on the D20 not expecting a quart of gear oil to pour out. I wanted to seal the pan too so I removed it and then looked at the drain plug. It had metal bits on it and the pan looked like it was sprinkled with glitter. I went ahead and took it off thinking maybe the main shaft gear had come loose on the transmission causing some of the noise. Nope. It was tight so I just pulled it off for no reason (or so I thought). Lol  Here it is on the healing "bench". Like a fool, I never once inspected it before mating it to the T98. Looks like it had some water intrusion at one point in time. There's pitting on a few different gears but the worst is in the picture. I noticed the air gap on the intermediate gear and thrust washer. I decided to find out how much. An .018" feeler gauge managed to slide between the case and thrust washer. I couldn't find a spec on that in the FSM but I'm thinking it's not within spec. I can move the rear yoke while holding the rear output shaft still. Either the yoke or rear output shaft is worn.  I picked up the windshield from the glass shop today. I called six other places last week and they turned me down. These guys actually can cut glass so they took the job and installed a new gasket for $208.

I ended up taking this thing all apart. I wish I had some needle bearings, thrust washers, and a good intermediate shaft on hand. The engine, transmission, and transfer case now have good clean oil in them.  Just a note. The yoke nuts took a 1 1/8 socket.

The shift fork hex screw takes a 3/16 hex bit.

The whole reason for tearing even further into this was to remove the shift interlock pills. I recommend using a magnet to move it to the core plug then you can pry it out with a screwdriver.

There are two of these interlock pills.

The core plugs that get knocked out when removing the interlock pills are .439" in diameter.

Of course, there was normal wear. So if you're like me and don't plan ahead or have a stand in dowel for the intermediate shaft, just use the shaft itself, and plenty of grease, and the needles will stay put.

I took the time to clean everything and do my best to prevent leaks. The yokes were grooved so I didn't knock the seals in as deep. We'll see how long it holds. I went for a drive and everything seemed fine. 

CJ3B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>